1000+ yards?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    anyone here know of anywhere reasonably close to Lafayette that one could shoot out past 1000 yards? I'd be perfectly happy with a pipeline/powerline clearing or whatever else may be available. 500 yards is hard enough to find, but not impossible and fairly simple to hit with my cannon.

I really would like to practice at long distance and extreme long distance.

Perhaps I could trade some ammo, brass, etc .. or simply let whomever shoot this beast of a rifle a few times. I figure if someone has an area like this they too shoot long distances and would enjoy the obvious conversation and I'd likely acquire knowledge from them as well.

Work offshore is still going, but very slow and I have much more time to smile while pulling the trigger on the mountains of ammo I've stockpiled in the good times.

Last edited:

Rovpilot337

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Jennings, La
    I have been looking for the same thing for quite some time. I am not far from you. I am from Jennings. I have access to some family land which is pretty much a rice field but only good for a little over 500 yards. I'd be willing to pay for some long range shooting.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    ROV pilot eh? Heres a hint: I install those "USBL beacons" on your ROVs. its likely we may work for the same company - that is if your employer is from Morgan City.

yes .. i would pay.

Last edited:

Rovpilot337

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Jennings, La
    ROV pilot eh? Heres a hint: I install those "USBL beacons" on your ROVs. its likely we may work for the same company - that is if your employer is from Morgan City.

yes .. i would pay.

Well, the company from Morgan City is our competition. My brother works for them. I, however work for the company out of Mandeville. We do use USBL systems though.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    Chouest eh? ha!

yeah ..well I'll certainly pass along any info I find on long distance shooting. As it stands - I know of nowhere that i can shoot long distances short of setting up on abandoned platforms and shooting to and from them... something Uncle Sam kinda frowns upon nowadays lol. Im not keen on taking my rifles out in the salt air anyway.. at least not the ones i shoot now.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    C&C and CI in the same thread.

Eymards in CutOff has 800 yards. Or you could befriend the family and shoot on their property down 308. 1000+ yards

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    id be down for that ... cutoff is a long way though and typically only go that way when going out fishing or to work. 1000 yards however - that would be worth the drive.

BTW - its oceaneering now .. cc is no more.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    id be down for that ... cutoff is a long way though and typically only go that way when going out fishing or to work. 1000 yards however - that would be worth the drive.

BTW - its oceaneering now .. cc is no more.

Yeah, I know. But they'll always be C&C, an Oceaneering Company.

When I said 1000+ yards, I meant the Chouest family. Befriend them and you might be able to shoot. ;) Eymards is 825 I believe...

Rovpilot337

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Jennings, La
    Yes, that would be nice. Unfortunately they are pretty hard to befriend. Hell, I have worked for CI for over 7 years now and have never met any of them. If ever I am down by Cutoff for a reason other than crew changing, I will definitely check out Eymard's.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    ive seen the range just down the highway from that supermarket.. but as pilot says .. im rarely down that way other than boarding a vessel or coming home. I guess i could get a smaller optic and make 500yards more of a challenge ha. 5-25 ... 500 yards is like punching someone in the throat.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    When I get back from offshore I might host a day of shooting on my property. I have 1000+ yds and I'm in Forest Hill

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    When I get back from offshore I might host a day of shooting on my property. I have 1000+ yds and I'm in Forest Hill

I would be extremely interested in a range day. I started Shooting PRS matches about a year and a half ago and it is really hard to find a place to true up my dope. Would be willing to offer any assistance needed.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    That's what I'm using. Magneto V3, Ballistic AE and Kestrel with AB. Kestrel and Ballistic give same correction. I'm just about a .1-.2 mil low at 1K and further ( 3 different times 1k, 1020 & 1060). 1k and in its deadnuts, would just like to check it out a lil further.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Not near Lafayette, but I recently had this come across my feed. On the westbank. Haven't talked to him about it yet, but seems to be Brannon LeBouef, the same guy who owns the indoor range in St Bernard and who I took my CHP from.

https://www.facebook.com/nolatactc/

13161900_1729893267281032_4861796084279659304_o.jpg

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    yeah, but when you talk to nola motorsports park, this is not something full time. it is not open to just " go shoot" . up until 3-4 months ago, Nola had signs up that said " no firearms permitted" . I speak with park personnel regularly, as I have a garage over there. until i hear the park staff confirm any sort of range, it falls into the vaporware file. right now they confirm absolutely nothing. as far as I've been able to tell, they only allow shooting at the park as part of the nolatac courses. there is nothing even remotely oriented to long range shooting on nolatac's website. the only inclination that it is "real" is what is on the nolatac facebook page. Knowing what i know, i don't trust it until i see and confirm for myself that it is actually happening.

As a correction... Eymard's actually now has a shooting tower and i believe have completed their extension to the range. IIRC , you can push out to 980 yds or so from the tower. the tower is only for people that the RO is familiar with. you'll have to prove your mettle to the RO before being allowed to hit the tower. I cant remember what the extra charge is for tower access though.

Eymard's is clean, well organized and the staff are some of the friendliest and most professional that you'll ever meet. I can't say enough great things about the folks that staff the place.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom