Semi-Auto 7.62x51/.308 Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I have been looking into rifle options and would like some opinions from people with first hand experience. I've read many other opinions elsewhere but would like to get yall's opinion.

Here are the options I am familiar with:
    AR10
    FAL
    M1A
    VEPR/Saiga in .308
    SCAR17 (probably out of my price range)

What would you pick and why?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had a GAP-10, sig 716, and POF p308. The GAP-10 was a tack driver, but at a pricey price tag. (more accurate than a SCAR17 would be.)

The 716 is heavy (all the 308's are though) and had a bunch of proprietary parts.

The P308 is similar to the other two AR10 style rifles but come with a few nice features like being ambidextrous, fluted barrel etc. Would I spend that much on it again? Probably not, but I do like the look of an NP3 coated rifle.

Of the 3, the GAP-10>P308>716

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Had a dsa fal, was real nice, kinda heavy for me, easy for optics with scope mount,nice adjustable gas system even though never adjusted it, I still have a lr-308 ar10, real nice, cheap Magpul mags, very easy for scope mount, I think recoil is a little more than fal was, but a very nice gun, and now I have a m1a "bush rifle" basically the scout before the scout came out, very nice gun, points great, has a very smooth recoil, awesome sights, not as easy to mount optics, have good mounts out there like sadlac but to me just kinda don't seam right, idk the work for a lot of people, to me m1a is a die hard 308 battle rifle, irons only, for me that is

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      250.4 KB · Views: 127
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      271.8 KB · Views: 126
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      222.1 KB · Views: 115
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      262.2 KB · Views: 112

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    I have a Springfield Armory M1A all GI parts, 2 FAL’s, and 2 DPMS LR-308’s one 20* rifle and a 16* carbine. You can take the M1A and the 2 FAL’s and chunk um. I will stay with my DPMS’s. I rather shoot my DPMS LR-308A2 Carbine any day than any one of the FAL’s. If you want something that is accurate, that’s going to hit where you want to stay away from a FAL or L1A1. FAL’s are battle rifles not target rifles. You can turn a M1A and AR10’s and AR10 clones into Target Rifles.

Springfield Armory M1A

FAL

DPMS LR-308 Rifle

DPMS LR-308 Carbine

Wolf

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Depending on reason for a 308, hunting,target practice, home defense, ect if I had to pic to be honest the fal would be at the bottom of the list, never had a issue with it but was just " a cool gun" to me, I haven't had my m1a for long at all but with that being said it would be a tough decision between the m1a and ar10/lr308, if you want modern day easy to accessorize then i guess it's ar10/lr308, if you want rugged, great iron sights, fun , traditional , m1a, but if that's to had get both, or all 3 lol

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Depending on reason for a 308, hunting,target practice, home defense, ect if I had to pic to be honest the fal would be at the bottom of the list, never had a issue with it but was just " a cool gun" to me, I haven't had my m1a for long at all but with that being said it would be a tough decision between the m1a and ar10/lr308, if you want modern day easy to accessorize then i guess it's ar10/lr308, if you want rugged, great iron sights, fun , traditional , m1a, but if that's to had get both, or all 3 lol
    And, if you want to shoot long range factor in the price of a good scope.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Built my first M14/M1A on an Armscorp receiver with all GI parts in 1991, have liked it so well I built another in 2006, would not think of going to any other 308, although I also have an M1916 Spanish Mauser converted to 308, just to have a short bolt-action 308. BUT, if I had to do it again I'd go with a medium weight barrels rather than the heavy weight.

View attachment 62917 View attachment 62918

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for then replies, I am a sucker for my M1 Garand so I am already biased toward an M1A. Let me ask all the M1A owners with scopes, do you have to remove/resight every time you disassemble your rifle? I imagine that's a huge pro for the AR10 platform being that the upper and scope stay together when disassembled.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Thanks for then replies, I am a sucker for my M1 Garand so I am already biased toward an M1A. Let me ask all the M1A owners with scopes, do you have to remove/resight every time you disassemble your rifle? I imagine that's a huge pro for the AR10 platform being that the upper and scope stay together when disassembled.
    No, I have a Sadlak 1 piece mount, It comes off with the barrel.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Have to get one preban I believe, there is a serial number production date to get prior to that, I know all the parts will have spec stamps on them,major of info on ar15.com under m1a/m14

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Anyone have a preban M1A for sale? :D

If not where are places in/around BR that carry M1A at a decent price?

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    You can put USGI parts in any America made M-14 and any year of mfg.
    I changed out the hammer,extractor,firing pin in mine.
    Also a Sadalk spring rod guide and tin coated piston.
    Visit M-14.com, World of knowledge there.

I have been doing a lot of reading there and actually joined about an hour ago. I am going to keep an eye out for a good used one but I may end up buying new if a used one doesn't come along over the next few months

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    i have a seekins sp10. i like it.
    After i got it, i added an OSS suppressor to it.

After i got it all going, i realized that i really enjoy bolt guns for distance precision shooting much more.

That being said, I also decided that i wanted to convert the sp10 to 6.5 creemoor. I've fallen in love with it after shooting my Ruger precision rifle a bunch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom