Flat water for redfish?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I'm a freshwater fish guy in general. Have a boat but I don't want to put it in bays or rough water. But I'd like to try and fish for some reds and whatever else. Can anybody recommend and area for that with calm water.
    Boat is Xpress Explorer 18cc with a yamaha 90hp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Where are you located? You can always scope out bayou bienevenue. It's protected by the great wall, and although the fishing has been crap for the last few years, its beginning to come back.

Sent from an unregisteted mobile device.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you go down Belle Chasse Highway you have many choices: Myrtle Grove; Port Sulphur, Empire, all the way down to Venice. Myrtle Grove, Port Sulphur, and Empire over protected bayous and access to the gulf. Empire is probably your best bet with a small boat as they have protected fishing right outside the marina. If you start heading towards the gulf the canals can be a bit tricky so it's easy to run aground if you're unfamiliar with the area. Bring a push pole! Port Sulphur is similar to empire but it is a public launch so you need to be baited up and launching could be tricky. If you have a small boat I'd stay away from Venice; long boat ride and the river can be tricky. Houma has good access from Baton Rouge but I'm not familiar with the area. Good luck.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Go to Grand Isle. You can put in at either end of the island and fish all around the island depending on the weather and tides. They have a bunch of rock piles in the bay and you can fish these and catch lots of different fish. The island is approx. 8 miles long but you can go 2-3 miles and closer and catch fish. The boat you have will work fine. We have a 19 ft CC with a 75hp Yamaha 4 stroke and we go all over the place. PM me for more specific info if you decide to go.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I'm gonna check the Catfish lake area and grand Isle area out. I need to just get down there and start exploring.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Grand Isle you can launch at the Sand Dollar Marina fish the pass or the rock piles depending on the weather.
    Fourchon you can launch at the public launch for free and make your way into the marsh from there.
    Montegut/Point Aux Cheins you can fish in the main canal just up from the marina and get into a few shallow lakes still within eye site of the marina. Fishing is best here late mid/late summer and well into the fall.

BTW I have the same boat.
    Best of luck.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Go to Slidell and fish the railroad trestles, the Causeway, Hwy 90 and I-10 bridges, lots of shallow bays and canals in the Rigolets. Lot closer then Grand Isle

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Another +1 for Grand Isle. I've had the best luck on a falling tide over a foot. I've done well between the island and shore which is pretty protected. Lots of crabs too. I've done best on minnows.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Dularge is 2hrs from Baton Rouge. I see a lot of people in rigs like yours. You won't have to go too far from wherever you put in to catch a limit of reds. In some areas you can catch bass and reds on the same bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Thanks for all the advise everyone. Next weekend I have family stuff but the following weekend I'm gonna go somewhere. I'm to the point I don't like going to my camp in the basin during the summer. I do better fishing out there during the fall. Gonna spread my wings some.

burrito1245

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Metairie, La
    Delacroix is my recommendation close to sweetwater marina is prime time redfish, and down the main bayou leads out to black bay and that's good summertime trout fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    You answered your own question when you said you have to get out and do some exploring..I got back into fishing maybe 5 years ago and live in the BR area too. Its gonna be a 2 hr drive no matter where you go and I go to a lot of areas--Myrtle Grove, Delacroix, DeCade,Leeville and Fourchon, The Rigolets and the Great Wall of Chalmette, and Lafitte. You just need to get out there and all of these places offer great protected areas to get some reds and specs. I have a 17.5 McKee Craft and have no problems unless the seas get up to 2 ft. When that happens I simply get beat up--not the boat but me!
    Sweetwater is a great place to launch and get info on where the fish are. Water there is beautiful! Honestly haven't been to a bad place and you just have to do some exploring. Your boat should do fine in shallows so go for it!!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Absolutely. They will even park your vehicle for you if you want to stay with the boat. I think its 10 bucks if I remember right.They have live and frozen shrimp there and Capt.Jack is there a lot and is very helpful. Remember its the 2nd launch you want to go to..I think the first one is Serangues or something like that. If you go there there may be a line to launch but don't let that scare you as it goes pretty fast.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    That's good to know because I'm usually alone in my boat so it takes me a little longer to launch. Never seen a launch that will back you in and park you're truck.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Try hopedale marina, they will lift your boat and hold it/tie it off while you park. There are enough canals and shallow bays that are protected from wind that you won't get into too much rough water and can scoot into a canal quickly if it gets too choppy.
    Lake of 2 trees and little half moon yield good reds and nice trout. Most of the area is oyster beds which draws fish, fish the passes and cuts and be surprised.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    That is great info CHW! I didn't know they had a hoist there--those are kinda hard to find after Katrina wiped out damn near all of them in SE La. I have never been there but always wanted to check it out....Thanks for posting!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom