Advise - Moved home cpu

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Ok here it goes.
    We have ATT Uverse - not happy, anyway...
    I had to move the home computer across the room, now it's wireless and slow as shi*!
    Any recommendations on a local person to run me a new cat 6 line?

Thanks.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    You only really need cat five , can you just buy a pre made lenth and tuck under base board ? also a modern proper wireless is faster than any at home connection you can get.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    ATT just sent me an email regarding my Uverse. ATT is going to start charging for data. I have unlimited right now and from what I could gather from the vague and short email is that ATT will charge ten dollars every time I go over so much data usage. I may get away from ATT Uverse and my three ATT smart phones (family) once the contract is over.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Ha wife just got same email.
    Really - time to switch?

ATT just sent me an email regarding my Uverse. ATT is going to start charging for data. I have unlimited right now and from what I could gather from the vague and short email is that ATT will charge ten dollars every time I go over so much data usage. I may get away from ATT Uverse and my three ATT smart phones (family) once the contract is over.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Ha I wish, house is open floor plan.

You only really need cat five , can you just buy a pre made lenth and tuck under base board ? also a modern proper wireless is faster than any at home connection you can get.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Network cable isn't particularly hard to run or terminate. That said, I'll second PECEMKR's comment: in house wifi should be a lot faster than anything you're getting from Uverse. If the PC is the only thing getting slow network speeds over wifi, you might want to try a different adapter for the PC. Amazon has USB wifi adapters for less than $10 (though I can't vouch for the quality).

If you're getting slow network on all your wireless devices, you might try turning off the wifi on the Uverse box and putting in your own WAP wired directly into the ports on your router. You'll get a lot more control over antenna placement and direction. Amazon has those starting ~$20 (again, no promises on the quality).

I know not specifically what you asked but ~$30 is almost certainly a lot less than what it would cost to get a line run.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am thinking about it. I went with ATT Uverse because of the unlimited data. My family uses a ton of data to watch Netflix.

You aren't likely to hit the data cap streaming Netflix, even at HD resolutions. The current cap plan is as follows:

7MfwvX.png

So basically you'd have to watch more than 8 hours of Netflix a day to reach it, assuming you aren't on a slow tier. The tizzy about the data caps is bogus, less than 1% of all customers have a chance of reaching it. I run a small business that has lots (I mean LOTS) of data going both ways, on Uverse. My monthly looks like this:

gWv5hu.png

eZtOpL.png

That's a whopping 414GB of data over a month, which is still 186GB short of the cap. So before you run, think.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    If you have an android phone download a WiFi scanner. Find the other networks that are in your home. Get away from crowded channels. Example, with a G router the channels are 1-11 with 1 being closest to 11, like a clock.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you have a lot of wireless devices you may have hit the limit for your router. A few years ago I had to buy a new router as we had a lot of wireless devices and it was to much for the router.

Top Bottom