" Your vehicle is an extension of your home ..."

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Where did this originate ? I'm still hearing people say that it's " State law " and most folks seem to believe it . WTFO ? :eek3:

Dan perhaps I can help, but I am not 100% percent sure that I understand your question.
    1- Are you saying it is not the same, when viewed through the prism of "movable" property versus "real" property?
    2- Is this a difference re: search & seizure, self defense, transit or transportation, etc.?
    3- Are you saying they misunderstand defense of person versus defense of property?
    4- Is it the issue of concealed carry on self, versus stowage of a gun in a vehicle, versus a residence/ domicile (BIG difference between those two legally, but not as it relates to criminal law/ title 14 affairs) ?
    5- Is it to suggest that stowage within a home (care & custody) is not the same as in a vehicle?

The context in which it was used sheds a great deal of light on the issue, of course. Obviously, there is no codified LA statute that states verbatim: "Your vehicle is an extension of your home..." I think that cliche was meant to easily summarize transportation or stowage of a firearm, as opposed to carrying (concealed or open) on one's self, for those looking for a "Reader's Digest" explanation. Or at least I hope so. This site has a great base of knowledgeable people, with a little more info I am confident that some of them will chime in.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    In all my years of law enforcement, I took it to mean that the search and seizure laws protected your vehicle just like your home. I think the term came from a court ruling on the subject.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    A pair of LSU PD Captains gave a talk on my campus about services provided by the department. When the speech was over and they asked for questions, the question was asked "is it legal to have a firearm in your car while on campus?" His reply was "your vehicle is considered an extension of your home, therefore you can legally have a firearm inside of your vehicle anywhere on campus". I immediately thought of you guys when he said that :rofl:

ronkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2015
    Covington, LA
    Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

taken in context, one can add vehicle to the list...it's the intent of the law.
    LEO needs probable cause...no search without your consent.
    Someone tries to break in/carjack, you have the right to defend yourself.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I wasn't referring to firearms or really anything specific . I just know that you have a lot of the same protections in your vehicle that you would in your residence , but I'm sure there are some exclusions and I have never seen any actual legal language that specifies vehicles .

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Even with probable cause, they still need a search warrant to enter your vehicle. With probable cause, they can deny you access for a reasonable period of time while they obtain a search warrant.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Even with probable cause, they still need a search warrant to enter your vehicle. With probable cause, they can deny you access for a reasonable period of time while they obtain a search warrant.

Um no lol. US v. Carroll. Motor vehicle exception rule.

This applies, IF the vehicle is movable and in transit. Obviously if the MV is on the curtilage of property then yes, a SW is required.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Um no lol. US v. Carroll. Motor vehicle exception rule.

This applies, IF the vehicle is movable and in transit. Obviously if the MV is on the curtilage of property then yes, a SW is required.

Nah bruh. The LEO's be trying to get me. They search my whip all the time.

#sovereigncitizen

Top Bottom