Let's discuss HB 142

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lershac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2016
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Ok, wow. I was searching for information relating to my art 893 set-aside, found the other 20 page thread.

After about 10 pages of reading I was pretty disappointed and went so far as to remove my weapons from the house and give them to a family member.

The next day I finished that thread, and read this one, and WOW, rollercoaster! I went from, "oh crap, I cant even legally possess!" to Holy cow I can get my CHP now!

I wonder how long it will take the Feds to integrate the changes to their processes. Will they deny after 8/1? I guess we shall see.

Anyone have contact info for the LSP to email questions to confirm how all this will apply?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    LSP has it posted on their webiste as a change to the law already. Which is a good thing. Personally, I bet nics will still deny you and overturn your appeal provided criteria is met.

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#apply

The passage of Act 212 of the 2016 Regular Legislative Session (Effective August 1, 2016) amended and reenacted R.S. 40:1379.3(C)(6) and (10), relative to concealed handgun permits; to provide that a person who has obtained an expungement for a felony conviction shall not be considered ineligible to obtain a concealed handgun permit if:

The person's felony conviction was not for a crime of violence (as defined in R.S. 14:2(B)) and 10 years have elapsed since the completion of the person's probation, parole, and suspended sentence.
    or

The person has been pardoned by the governor and the pardon does not expressly prohibit the person from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving firearms (Governor’s Gold Seal Pardon must expressly state the right to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms has been restored).

Rep. Blake Miguez guest appears on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk to talk about Act212: http://guntalk.libsyn.com/guntalk-08-07-2016-part-b

Last edited:

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    Has anyone that benefited from this new decision actually obtained their CHP? I have submitted my application and appropriate paperwork but still no permit. It has been about 3 weeks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Has anyone that benefited from this new decision actually obtained their CHP? I have submitted my application and appropriate paperwork but still no permit. It has been about 3 weeks...

Currently CHP applications time are running 9-10 months.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana

I probably should, but I have been waiting for a response from nix about my upin. I submitted my paperwork and prints on October 30, and still no response..... Only response they can say is ok, but from what I understand nix isn't processing the upin and appeals anymore since January.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    My wife and I took the class together and she got hers within 10 days!

That is crazy fast.
    Did y'all file online and do your prints at the CHP office?
    I'm assuming your location in now LA instead of TX.
    I've been waiting on mine since May. Always lived in LA, no criminal history at all.
    Filed electronically, mailed in prints.

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    That is crazy fast.
    Did y'all file online and do your prints at the CHP office?
    I'm assuming your location in now LA instead of TX.
    I've been waiting on mine since May. Always lived in LA, no criminal history at all.
    Filed electronically, mailed in prints.
    Yeah, I need to update my location since I moved back. We took the class on a Saturday, e-filed Sunday evening and went to the LSP HQ on Monday to do prints...wicked fast!

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    To the men & women who were in the same situation as I've been, I took the CHP class on 10/22, e-filed my application on 10/23 (which included an official copy of my expungement paperwork, and went to the LSP HQ in BTR on 10/24 to submit my fingerprints. I will also add that I lived out of state for most of the previous 15 years. Today (11/12) I received my approval email from LSP and I will be getting the permit in the mail within 10 days! This goes to show you that the process doesn't take as long as some have been saying.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    That's awesome.
    But it still shows the inconsistency of the system.
    Mine was accepted and paid off 10/13. Still crickets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    To the men & women who were in the same situation as I've been, I took the CHP class on 10/22, e-filed my application on 10/23 (which included an official copy of my expungement paperwork, and went to the LSP HQ in BTR on 10/24 to submit my fingerprints. I will also add that I lived out of state for most of the previous 15 years. Today (11/12) I received my approval email from LSP and I will be getting the permit in the mail within 10 days! This goes to show you that the process doesn't take as long as some have been saying.

Wow that is pretty fast. I'm off on Monday so I think I will start the process. I have uncertified copies of my expunction but none that are certified. I hate going to the court house because of parking. I never really cared about getting a permit but the amount of time it's taking NICS to respond about my appeal is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sniper216

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    As a follow on to my original post:

The reason I wrote this post because someone very close to me was affected by this, and I was wondering if anyone had found any positive results from this new law.

Albeit, the person who was affected by it, broke the law 25 years ago no denying that.

This person was arrested on a theft charge which was a felony, and was sentenced to probation. Under their plea agreement, upon the completion of the probation the prosecution would be dismissed and the conviction set aside under article 893.

This was done, the person received a first offender pardon, their rights were restored, and had the case expunged. And their life went back to normal.

This person has purchased firearms from dealers legally ever since. Until the middle of last year, when they were denied. I encouraged the person to do an appeal, to get it straightened out. And an appeal was filed over a year ago, a letter was received 30 days later stating the appeal was received and would be processed. However nothing has ever followed.

And I wanted to get some insight from you guys, on anything I should suggest. Thanks

Last edited:

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    I have heard that the appeals process has basically stopped. Maybe now that the election is over that will change. That being said you can advise them to get in touch with their congressmen and senator. I know that when we first started trying to solve this we talked with John Flemmings office quite a bit and they were willing to help in anyway they can.

Last thing they could do would be to apply for a Louisiana Concealed license. From the looks of Blackballed's post that would solve his problem.

BlackBalled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    It's here! Man...this was a looooong time coming. Thank you again to the folks on this forum that were instrumental in making this happen. You have an open invitation for a steak dinner paid for by yours truly. PM me and I'll make it happen. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom