Flashlight for shining thru water?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've noticed most of the led flashlights I have(even with beam adjustment) don't penetrate very well. They tend to scatter easily on the water or even the surface of grassy field. Anybody know of a light that has some good beam for penetrating water? 5' max. Rechargeable or aa/AAA is preferred. Its mostly for the kids to look for fish and stuff in the creeks.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Old school still works.

Attachments

• coleman.jpg
      coleman.jpg
      8.7 KB · Views: 118

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You want a flood light, not a light with miles of throw.

The best way to light up the water, is to get a light that you put in the water.

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would think that the color of the light would make more of a difference than anything. Also, it may sound funny, but waring a lightly darkened pair of polarized sun glasses would help a bunch as well. That way you would be able to cut most of the glare from the surface of the water. Plus, your eyes would adjust to the glasses and would not hinder your ability to see in the dark as bad as you would think.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I have a pelican saberlight led. It's great for diving, but has the same scatter issue as other LEDs. I used a mini mag last nite. It was great for seeing the bottom, but was not very write.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I use to walk out to my ponds late at night to look at fish and kill off some snakes. The old xenon bulbed pelican was my choice. The LED lights with all the "closer to sunlight" color is prolly the culprit with glare and so forth. Remember how fog lights use to have amber colored lenses? Wonder why....

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    You need something with a lot of power. Pool lights are typically at least 500W. Even in LED these are still something like 50-100W. Most handhelds are not going to penetrate very far and would heat up too quickly unless submerged.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    After doing a bit of research it seems that power has a small part in it, mostly clarity. Color and frequency are much more important. Blues travel deepest, and the light frequency from led beams is refracted easiest on the surface. Halogen and xenon bulbs are best, but for the power required to penetrate 5' your looking at LARGE lights. Big maglite size. Some people have had good luck with a powerful green laser and focusable led.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom