Is this a case of Stolen Valor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25...distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/

Or, perhaps it's not since the guy was legit anyways and had earned other medals?

That's pretty nit-picky, but it's kind of irrelevant.

I view Stolen Valor as the toolbags walking around like this:

Stolen-Valor.png

And that idiot from Range Time with Herp Derp and Erica.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    His dd214 says he had 2 and 5 but the records office shows he had 1/3. Which is right ?
    All I know is that you are dealing with government red tape and beuroctats . My dad recently recieved 5 medals he was awarded over 40!years ago that he had no idea he had earned. I don't put much faith in government record keeping

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    That's pretty nit-picky, but it's kind of irrelevant.

I view Stolen Valor as the toolbags walking around like this:

Stolen-Valor.png

And that idiot frog Range Time with Herp Herp and Erica.

Looks like a frog man to me... If i were legally blind with out any corrective lenses.
    :rofl:

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    https://theintercept.com/2016/05/25...distorted-his-military-record-documents-show/

Or, perhaps it's not since the guy was legit anyways and had earned other medals?

The real doc to look at would be a DD215- That's an updated dd-214. My dd214 shows no NDM, KSM, CAR, GWOTXM/AfgCM, or NAM w/V as those awards had not been created, authorized, and/or awarded. My NAM w/ V was awarded 6 months after my EAS, as was the authorization for most of those other awards. My updated DD215 will have them listed when I receive it. ETA: I got out 2 weeks after getting back from Afg with another unit I had been TADed to.

Also, the .mil sux balls at keeping and maintaining records. They even tell you that when you go in.... "KEEP COPIES OF ALL YOUR CERTIFICATED AND AWARDS" they said. 'IT IS VIRTUALLY GUARENTEED WE WIL LOOSE ****" 3/3 admin chief circa 1999 to me upon check-in to 3/3 STA Plt.

They actually lost my DD214 :rolleyes: I had to send them a copy so they could audit my SRB against it to get my dd215. So, yeah.... not stolen valor

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The real doc to look at would be a DD215- That's an updated dd-214. My dd214 shows no NDM, KSM, CAR, GWOTXM/AfgCM, or NAM w/V as those awards had not been created, authorized, and/or awarded. My NAM w/ V was awarded 6 months after my EAS, as was the authorization for most of those other awards. My updated DD215 will have them listed when I receive it. ETA: I got out 2 weeks after getting back from Afg with another unit I had been TADed to.

Also, the .mil sux balls at keeping and maintaining records. They even tell you that when you go in.... "KEEP COPIES OF ALL YOUR CERTIFICATED AND AWARDS" they said. 'IT IS VIRTUALLY GUARENTEED WE WIL LOOSE ****" 3/3 admin chief circa 1999 to me upon check-in to 3/3 STA Plt.

They actually lost my DD214 :rolleyes: I had to send them a copy so they could audit my SRB against it to get my dd215. So, yeah.... not stolen valor

Damn you like your acronyms.

I followed enough of it to agree with you whole heartedly. Plus the strory seems like a cheap shot on a man who is no longer here to defend himself.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

+1
    My DD214 was missing the CAR and a two of the "I was there" awards for my unit.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Damn you like your acronyms.

I followed enough of it to agree with you whole heartedly. Plus the strory seems like a cheap shot on a man who is no longer here to defend himself.

Lol. Ok. Here ya go:

National Defense Medal, Korean Service Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Global War On Terror Expeditionary Medal/Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Navy Achievement Medal with Valor, End of Active Service, Temporary Assigned Duty, Surveillance and Target Acquisition (scout/sniper) Platoon

The acronyms are so much faster and easier to type:D

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Lol. Ok. Here ya go:

National Defense Medal, Korean Service Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Global War On Terror Expeditionary Medal/Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Navy Achievement Medal with Valor, End of Active Service, Temporary Assigned Duty, Surveillance and Target Acquisition (scout/sniper) Platoon

The acronyms are so much faster and easier to type:D

Is the TAD where ta2d comes from? Or is it tattooed?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    We had a new E5 come into my Infantry Co. in Germany in the early 70's. And the first time after he got there that we had to wear Class A uniform he came out to formation and had a **** load of awards on his Class A uniform. Top went and check his records and he was the real deal and was awarded all of them in Nam.

pjprokop

NRA Benefactor Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Stolen Valor

The services are notoriously bad in capturing awards, service medals and qualification badges for inclusion in a DD-214. Things are improving as records are increasingly maintained online and in computerized personnel record data banks, but records going back to the Vietnam era and earlier are all on paper and require a lot of effort to find and verify. In my case, my DD-214 is incorrect in several particulars (I have more than what is listed), but it is not worth the effort to pursue a correction (I am not running for office and no longer wear the uniform). One thing is true, however - all personal decorations (as opposed to service medals, qualification badges, etc.) are accompanied by a written citation. The awardee has the original and the awarding headquarters (depending on the level of the award) has a copy. So, when the argument is over the number of Silver and Bronze Stars, for example, you either have the citations or you do not.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I was discharged in the very early 70's and when I was still short requested copies of my service records before discharge. Good thing too because all of my originals were destroyed in the infamous fire in 1977. I didn't know citations, TDY assignments, etc. were even listed on a DD-214. They certainly aren't on mine. Looks like just the very very basics to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom