Jambalaya Fest At My House Yesterday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Alright, so just found out a couple of days ago that the OFFICIAL Jambaaya Fest was this weekend in Gonzales LA. Funny because all this week I had planned to make a jambalaya here at home this weekend. So I decided to use my small 5 gal. cast iron jambalaya rig and cook outside and have my own Jambalaya Fest. Cold beer included! Yeah this looks like a bunch of jambalaya but it won't last. Especially since I share it with friends and relatives.

Started out with cooking some homemade bacon and a cold beer. This wasn't one of my favorites but it was given to me as a birthday variety of beer. Kind of tasted like soap. Lol.......

DSC09330.jpg

Here's the setup I used.

ee9b70d9-0507-46e3-83c9-62f24b0ac672.jpg

That bacon smelled soooo..... good!

DSC09331.jpg

Bacon done I removed it and browned/cooked the pork which was a couple or two or three pounds of pork loin(I know the butt is better but this was from a whole pork loin I had to cook). I also cooked down the sausage a bit(no picture)and remove that to cook down the onions. Added some diced tasso to allow that flavor to dispearse throughout the stock

DSC09335.jpg

Sweating down the onions and added two cans of Rotel. I KNOW! No Tomatoes according to many but believe me this gives it a nice kick.

DSC09338.jpg

Pork stock was added and my seasonings.

DSC09339.jpg

Let that come to a light boil and then added the chicken. I smoked the chicken thighs to a temp of about 150* and removed them, let cool and cut into nice chunks.

DSC09341.jpg

Again let that come to a light boil and then added the pork and sausage.

DSC09343.jpg

Again let the temp come up to a light boil and added the rice.

DSC09346.jpg

Thirty five minutes later it was done!

DSC09347.jpg

I like to get a little meat in every bite when I make jambalaya.

DSC09348.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you were going great until the tomatoes... pretty sure they'd run you out of Gonzales on a rail for that lol.

That LA Spice beer is... bad. I bought a 6pack and have 4 left, gives me heartburn.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    you were going great until the tomatoes... pretty sure they'd run you out of Gonzales on a rail for that lol.

That LA Spice beer is... bad. I bought a 6pack and have 4 left, gives me heartburn.

I agree, pass on the rotel in Jambalaya.

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    I have no earthly idea why they wanted to produce that beer.

Jambalaya looks great though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Rotel in jambalaya ia still good but it takes away from the traditional flavor which I like.

However, I put it in my pastalaya and it really adds to it.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Not that it matters really but with all the meat in there the Rotel did NOT take away from the savory traditional flavor. It added a little color and a different spicy kick. I assure you if I put a bowl of this in front of you that you would eat it and ask for more.
    Some just seem to think that tradition can't be improved upon! The only reason Cajuns didn't put tomatoes in it from the very beginning is probably because it was created during a season when tomatoes weren't available. You KNOW that they would add just about anything that would improve or stretch a meal.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a friend that puts Rotel in his Jambalaya with plenty meat and it is tasty but having GERD I need a Nexium before and after the meal in order to keep it down at night.
    I just prefer to eat food that stays down so I try to avoid Rotel and highly spiced foods.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It's pretty early in my jambalaya cooking career(I've cooked 2) so here come the questions if you don't mind:
    What is your stock to rice ratio?
    What kind of rice did you use?
    Do you stir while the rice is cooking or stir the rice in and leave it be?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Louisiana Spiced Ale is horrible. I'm holding my tongue until I try the new Shotgun DIPA, but most of their beer is mediocre at best. Bad Motha Shucka and their Bourbon St. Stout are good, but everything else is sub par in my opinion. Some Chafunkta Old 504 Coffee Porter would be perfect for Jambalaya.

It's pretty early in my jambalaya cooking career(I've cooked 2) so here come the questions if you don't mind:

I've always used just enough stock to cook the rice, but not boil it.
    Long Grain Rice (pick your brand) - Mahatma is fine with me.
    Stir it in. You don't want it to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Ratio is 1:1 rice to water. Long grain always. You stir the rice in when you pour it in then you shut the flame and cover it. It cooks from the convection inside the pot.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ratio is 1:1 rice to water. Long grain always. You stir the rice in when you pour it in then you shut the flame and cover it. It cooks from the convection inside the pot.

What she said.

DO NOT let it sit with the flame on (that was my point) :D
    I've seen too many folks do that and end up needing a pressure washer at the end of the day :rofl:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Not that it matters really but with all the meat in there the Rotel did NOT take away from the savory traditional flavor. It added a little color and a different spicy kick. I assure you if I put a bowl of this in front of you that you would eat it and ask for more.
    Some just seem to think that tradition can't be improved upon! The only reason Cajuns didn't put tomatoes in it from the very beginning is probably because it was created during a season when tomatoes weren't available. You KNOW that they would add just about anything that would improve or stretch a meal.

Everything you cook looks great.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Looks excellent.

I am not a stickler about anything. I like both brown and red jambalayas. I have had good and bad in both.

I made a jambalaya a while back. The meat was smoked garfish. It had field peas and some edamame among the vegetation. Every body that tried it liked it. I would do it again.

In general I am not much of a pastalaya fan, but never say never.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Louisiana Spiced Ale is horrible. I'm holding my tongue until I try the new Shotgun DIPA, but most of their beer is mediocre at best. Bad Motha Shucka and their Bourbon St. Stout are good, but everything else is sub par in my opinion. Some Chafunkta Old 504 Coffee Porter would be perfect for Jambalaya.

I've always used just enough stock to cook the rice, but not boil it.
    Long Grain Rice (pick your brand) - Mahatma is fine with me.
    Stir it in. You don't want it to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Randy Oubre in Paulina made it. I'll look up his number and post it for you. I have an outdoor fryer he made as well as another bigger cast iron jambalaya rig.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom