.22lr ammo, is this the new normal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    So it seems like batches of .22lr are hitting the shelf on a fairly regular basis now. What I have noticed over the last couple of months is that every time a new batch comes in, it's more expensive than the week before. Mini Mags were already high at $7.99, the next week they were $8.29, then went up another 50 cent. I bought Ferderal Auto Match at $17.99, the next batch was $22.99. Dick's has Remington Thunderbolts on the shelves right now for $36. Last time I saw it a few weeks ago it was $29.

Are they just trying to feel out how high people are willing to go? At the rate this is going, 50 bucks for 500 rounds of plinking grade stuff will be here in a couple of months.

Will we see 500 bricks for $17 ever again? Should I wait this out? I have good stock, but I'm afraid I'll be replacing it at $100 per brick when I run out in a couple of years.

Where is this going?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Cost will be what people are willing to pay. When things got completely stupid I saw people buying a 500 pack of Rem. Golden bullets for $60/pack...........I'll shoot my .22 air rifle at that cost!!
    I saw price gouging at the gun shows...........and by certain vendors.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am trying to stock up for the elections but I only really have a Wally World close and I almost dropped dead when I actually saw they had some Fed Auto Match on the shelf and it only cost me $19 or so. If Hilary wins get ready for a gun run even more massive than when Obama won.

This reminds me I need to get some LPKs and replacement parts before this happens.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For what people are paying to shoot .22lr, I'd rather pay a little more and shoot 9mm.
    Rather than plinking, I spend time practicing. Quality over quantity.

Long gone are the days I could buy a brick of .22lr for $5 and plink for a full day.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Buy or trade now . I can't see it getting any cheaper . After the election things could get ugly again .

This^^^
    Now is the the time to buy most things.
    .22LR is still more expensive now days...but as we approach November, I don't see it getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This week i got:
    6 Boxes CCI mini Mags Bulk b0x of 300 rnd {3-100 round trays inside box} $27.99
    4 Boxes Federal Auto Match 325rnd {325 loose in box} $21.99
    And could have grabbed all i wanted of Remington Thunder's @ $34.99 500 Bricks
    I am guessing this is the new normal............

fishizzle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2015
    River Ridge, La
    Inventories are getting better all the time. Prices are still a little crazy but not as bad as that match stuff that was the only thing out there for a while. Just got some cci standard vel. for 7.99/100.

1BionicEar

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Lafayette
    My local Academy had mini-mags for $7.99 per hundred. Yesterday was the first time in months that it was out-of-stock.

Went over to Dick's Field & Stream and saw they were doing buy one, get one 50% off on all 22LR. Bought 2 boxes of 400 rounds of Browning 22LR, which 5.625 cents per round. I had $10 in rewards, so my net cost was 4.375 cents per round.

Thinking I should go back and get some more.

Tweek

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    madisonville, louisiana
    My local Academy had mini-mags for $7.99 per hundred. Yesterday was the first time in months that it was out-of-stock.

Went over to Dick's Field & Stream and saw they were doing buy one, get one 50% off on all 22LR. Bought 2 boxes of 400 rounds of Browning 22LR, which 5.625 cents per round. I had $10 in rewards, so my net cost was 4.375 cents per round.

Have you had a chance to shoot any of the browning 22 yet? Very smokey and lots of duds in the box I picked up.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I haven't seen 22 lr for 17 bucks a brick of 500 since probably 2004. Probably around 2008 it was 18.99 for a 500-555 pack at walmart, and last time I saw it in stock, it was 23.99. I want to say I saw a 28.99 tag once before, but there was no ammo on the shelf.

I bought 2800 rounds a couple weeks back for right under 7 cents/round.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I bought a 500 pack of Thunderbolts from WallyWorld last week -- They had about 15 boxes on the shelf - $25.99 is what I remember paying.

So glad I got my Ruger SR-22 rifle (10/22 made to look like a mean assault rifle!! hahaha) fixed so it is shooting the T-bolts without any problems........

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette

i did the same thing but I got the 1400 round buckets. 2800 rounds for about 150 after tax I had a $10 off as well.

clwrider

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    What about .22WMR? Why is .22LR finally becoming available again but .22WMR is still almost no longer attainable? And why these two in the first place? I never saw a time where .17cal rimfire ammo wasn't available somewhere while at the same time both of the .22s were impossible to get anywhere. :confused: The very few times I've seen any .22WMR at all in the past year or two it was somewhere I never expected to find some and a box that I used to pay 7.95 or 8.95 for was 24.95 or even higher, in a retail store! Wow! That's a $100bill for 200 rounds rimfire. And why is CCI Shotshells so hard to get now too? Only ones of those I can find anywhere are .38s.

You can bet I'm taking the "stock-up now" approach! At the pace things are going I expect that once I retire (in just a few years) the ammo I already have will be all I will ever get after that. Might not need any by then any way the way things are headed now. The whole situation is ridiculous!!! :mad:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    What about .22WMR? Why is .22LR finally becoming available again but .22WMR is still almost no longer attainable? And why these two in the first place? I never saw a time where .17cal rimfire ammo wasn't available somewhere while at the same time both of the .22s were impossible to get anywhere. :confused: The very few times I've seen any .22WMR at all in the past year or two it was somewhere I never expected to find some and a box that I used to pay 7.95 or 8.95 for was 24.95 or even higher, in a retail store! Wow! That's a $100bill for 200 rounds rimfire. And why is CCI Shotshells so hard to get now too? Only ones of those I can find anywhere are .38s.

You can bet I'm taking the "stock-up now" approach! At the pace things are going I expect that once I retire (in just a few years) the ammo I already have will be all I will ever get after that. Might not need any by then any way the way things are headed now. The whole situation is ridiculous!!! :mad:

CLWRIDER -- Relax man!! It's going to be okay. We run through this "cycle of paranoid" every few years but it will be just fine.

I would venture to say that when 9mm, 223, and 22LR were impossible to find (a few years back) 22Mag and .17 were still available, 12 ga shotgun shells were "On Sale!" -- My guess is that it is not a caliber where people go run a couple hundred downrange during a Sunday shooting day so it is not available in quantities as your more popular calibers.

As far as the paranoia of the "They are coming to take our guns" I think it is just that - paranoia.

Obama didn't do it in his 8 years and Hillary won't do it either. -- It should also be noted that the only changes to gun laws under Obama were minimal at best. In fact, when compared to Ronald Reagan who supported such things as banning open carry, banning machine guns, banning assault weapons, and mandatory background checks, Obama has been pretty much hands off.

The president is NOT coming to take your guns. Hillary won't either. (Disclaimer - I don't like either of them, but I did like Reagan a lot)

But perhaps the biggest rebuke to the concern over gun confiscation is the fact that, despite support for universal background checks from 92% of Americans and 86% of gun owners congress was unable to even bring background check legislation up for a vote. According to an NRA poll, when asked if “Every American has a fundamental right to self-defense and a right to choose the home defense firearm that is best for them.” 76% of Americans said “yes.” If President Obama, with 92% support, can’t get even the simplest of gun control measures passed, then what in the world makes anyone think that there is even the slightest chance that the President could push through legislation to round up the 300 million or so guns floating around the United States.

Top Bottom