indoor range in lafayette fined by epa?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

anyone here of an indoor shooting range in Lafayette had a recent inspection by the e.p.a. and got fined a significant amount for some type of violations? if so any idea on type of violations?

rp

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    It was Barney's in Carencro. Had to do with lead issues. No medical monitoring, no employee training, no written plan to deal with lead, etc. I think it was a little over $78,000.00. Having to deal with lead & asbestos were 2 of the things I hated the most when I was working.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Plumb redunkulous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    The EPA stopped by the company that I work at, an ASME manufacturing facility, last year and fined us too. Most of the charges were BS and we were able to get the fine abated. It started out at over $30k and we ended up paying $0. Part of the problem is the EPA spoke to the wrong person, and as a result of that conversation assumed that no documentation, monitoring, or PPE was provided to the employees who performed the blasting and painting. Once the records were produced, the fines went away.

Now, I did work at a crane manufacturing company in the 90s where someone was killed on their yard. OSHA fined them $25,000 right off the bat. The owner and attorney went to fight it and ended up writing a $75,000 check.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    Nothing future about this.

E.P.A. regs are why you don't see more ranges popping up.

Yup. One of the papers in Washington state did a big "expose" specifically going after gun ranges. Lead restrictions are basically a blunt instrument for anyone who hates guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Big difference between OSHA and LDEQ/EPA. The threats to the shooting sports come from different directions and people need to be able to determine the difference to effectively monitor proposed regulations or the results of compliance inspections. Don't rely on news reports or internet stories to correctly identify the agency involved.

OSHA is the federal agency charged with worker/employee safety. They are mostly concerned with air-borne lead exposure, hearing protection, errant bullets, etc. for employees at ranges.

EPA is the federal agency responsible for protection of the public and the environment (LaDEQ is the state agency that enforces state regulations that mirror the EPA federal regulations). They would get involved with airborne lead that could leave the property boundary (vented from an indoor range, or blown from an outdoor range), any stormwater runoff that would contain copper or lead and threaten streams, and the disposal of spent lead bullets or soil from impact areas.

There will be a pop quiz in Monday's class.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Passed by today, There putting in a shower for the employees to hose off with...

And they don't have a .22 bore brush in stock.

Wish they had that when I was there! I woulda showered there all the time after shifts....and sang singing in the rain at the top of my lungs. hahaha....oh and I dont ever remember seeing those rare .22 bore brushes there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom