What's your favorite AK variant?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Love my wasr 10 that I bought here. Problem is its uncomfortable. I looked at the adapter to use a ar stock. Good idea? Or bad? Opinions?
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/ has a lot of good options. I personally like Ace stocks on all mine.

That's nice!
    Thanks. Whenever I have a new shooter out here, I always pull out the 12 and let them shoot a drum. I put a limbsaver on that Ace stock and even with buckshot, it is a pleasure to shoot.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    It's by no means an OEM rifle, but I have a thing for side folding SBR'd Draco's.

707ccf1faf751db40b8829fffcd18e1e.jpg

That is one sexy Draco. Now that I am in the class III game, I'm looking to SBR mine. Did you replace the rear trunion or what did you do to mount the hinge flush to the back?

Also, what forearm/rail is that?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    What about it is uncomfortable?

Compared to most rifles of similar caliber, the AK is a little rough on the shoulder. All of my 7.62x39 have metal folders on them wrapped with paracord and they are all meat tenderizers, even when pulled in tight and seated on your shoulder. I like the discomfort though. After a hundred or so rounds, it gives me the sense that I've accomplished something. Now my wife? Not so much. Her new saiga will have a similar stock that the 12 has on it. Win/win for me though. I get to add another AK to the arsenal and she will un-ass my Tula that she claimed the minute I traded for it. :D

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Compared to most rifles of similar caliber, the AK is a little rough on the shoulder. All of my 7.62x39 have metal folders on them wrapped with paracord and they are all meat tenderizers, even when pulled in tight and seated on your shoulder. I like the discomfort though. After a hundred or so rounds, it gives me the sense that I've accomplished something. Now my wife? Not so much. Her new saiga will have a similar stock that the 12 has on it. Win/win for me though. I get to add another AK to the arsenal and she will un-ass my Tula that she claimed the minute I traded for it. :D

Sounds like that worked out well for you. I don't really have an issue with any of the stocks, but the egyptian folder I did not like. I liked the look but that's about it.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Sounds like that worked out well for you. I don't really have an issue with any of the stocks, but the egyptian folder I did not like. I liked the look but that's about it.

This is the type I add to mine. Uncomfy but I like the idea of being able to swing a metal war club when ammo runs out.

6sozq162wvkbvg5kccm4.jpg

Funny story. I got a great deal on some east german surplus mags a while back. While cleaning them, I discovered one had some hair stuck in the base plate, Upon further inspection, it turned out to have a piece of scalp connected to the hair. Somebody got brained with that mag. Functions fine. #warmthoughts

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    This is the type I add to mine. Uncomfy but I like the idea of being able to swing a metal war club when ammo runs out.

6sozq162wvkbvg5kccm4.jpg

Funny story. I got a great deal on some east german surplus mags a while back. While cleaning them, I discovered one had some hair stuck in the base plate, Upon further inspection, it turned out to have a piece of scalp connected to the hair. Somebody got brained with that mag. Functions fine. #warmthoughts

I have a couple of those, I like my stuff to look as original as possible. The scalp thing is kinda gross! My AIMS 74.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That is one sexy Draco. Now that I am in the class III game, I'm looking to SBR mine. Did you replace the rear trunion or what did you do to mount the hinge flush to the back?

Also, what forearm/rail is that?

That one isn't mine, but it's been on my want list for a while.

The stock adapter is this one from ACE: http://riflestocks.com/store/product106.html

Ultimak bottom rail (short version), the Ultimak standard gas tube rail (shortened mod) and the ACE AR grip adapter with modified MAID grip.

The guy put a good bit of work into the rifle. A lot of modifications and whatnot.

Here's the entire post from arfcom.

Just under 3 months for the stamp.

Previously mounted the Ultimak bottom rail (short version), the Ultimak standard gas tube rail (shortened mod) and the ACE AR grip adapter with modified MAID grip.
    Also a MI sling mount on the rail and a Krebs UNI mount
    I also added a notch in the safety lever to hold the bolt open. (nice for ranges and matches)

I had an unused CTR/Buffer tube/Magpul ASAP sling plate and castle nut so I figured I try out the ACE Integrated AR15 stock mount.
    I've used the standard ACE folders in the past and while they worked fine, I wanted to try something a little different since I had the parts in the garage.

For those who are going to use and ACE folding mount- The supplied bolts from ACE are 5mm/.80 TP.
    I used a tap and drill bit from ACE Hardware. Nothing fancy.
    I used a IRWIN 5mm-0.80 tap set with corresponding IRWIN #19 tap drill bit.
    I marked one hole and drilled it with the DRACO hanging in a vice(wood pads).
    The standard drill bit(not a bit for hardened steel) cut quickly with a cordless drill.
    Tapping the hole should be a 1/4 turn affair then back out- start over and with lots of oil. It took about 15 min per hole to tap.
    Go slow, too fast and you risk breaking the tap off in the hole.(Higher quality taps will resist this)
    Marking the second hole is much easier once the assembly is mounted temporarily.

This mount is a one finger open/close and locks open very securely as all ACE mounts do.
    I'm a lefty and while the stock is folded I can use the pistol just like the stock is not there- it interferes none whatsoever.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Some pics for comparison- M16 10.5 SBR and Draco SBR.
    Its basically the same length as a 10.5"AR SBR. It just weighs twice as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Polizzi
    Top Bottom