Grip and finger strength "training"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    Okay, I'll admit it. I'm returning to shooting much more out of shape than I thought I was... :rolleyes: The pistol wobbles when I try to hold it on target. My trigger squeeze is abominably horrible - erratic not smooth. And believe it or not, even holding the pistol steady at shoulder height is something I can only dream about right now.... Go ahead - laugh. I am.:mamoru:

So, the question is simple. Does anyone seriously recommend "strength"/grip training for shooting or will it just eventually come back to me even at age 60? This was not a problem for me when my hair wasn't gray and my eyes were bright... at least my dated and failing memory is not of weakness being an issue for me when shooting.

I'm being serious here.. not making jokes. (But it is laughable on some level.):rofl:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    This is by Kevin Michalowski
    Float the Dot…Shoot the Shot

There is one mantra that I heard over and over during my week-long instructor-training course: Float the dot. Shoot the shot.
    » There are two elements of accurate shooting that cannot be argued: You must point the muzzle at the target, and you must operate the trigger without adding any additional movement to the muzzle.
    That’s it. We could make it more complicated, but let’s not. Those two rules come from a pretty solid source — George Harris and the folks at the SIG Sauer Academy. Harris is co-founder of the academy and author of the SIG Principles, the elements used as the basis for training at the world-renowned shooting school.
    *SIG,* said Harris recently, *stands for ‘Simple Is Good.’*
    And, at the academy, instructors provide simple, objective-based training that allows you to improve your skill level regardless of your starting point upon arrival.
    In order to ensure that your muzzle is pointed at the target, you must use your sights. Holding a correct sight picture on target is a noble goal, but we all know that everyone shakes.
    There is one mantra that I heard over and over during my week-long instructor-training course: Float the dot. Shoot the shot.
    I heard it over and over because after I figured out how important it was, I would constantly repeat it under my breath, especially when we were on the 25-yard line, shooting the 8-inch circle.
    *Float the dot. Shoot the shot.*
    So where did this simple yet profound statement come from?
    *This simple, easy-to-remember phrase comes from a lengthy process,* said Steve Gilcreast, senior instructor and training manager at the SIG Sauer Academy. *We first start with a simple concept: muzzle management and trigger finger discipline. This concept is the basis for firearms safety. The simple concept also relates to success with the pistol. Muzzle management means that you point the muzzle at the intended target and trigger finger discipline refers to manipulating the trigger without adding additional motion to the muzzle. Maintain those two things and you will hit your target. You can’t argue these points.*
    I use this and I am 72 years young

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I like the Pro Hands grip exerciser. You can move each finger independently on it, so you can work on trigger pull. http://www.prohands.net/who/ Also some arm and shoulder exercises helped my shooting, especially recoil. Add on top of that, plenty of dry practice, and that should help you a good bit.

drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    Definitely appreciate the feedback. I think one of my relatives has a Gripmaster. I may ask to borrow it.

I also probably should go use that gift certificate to a gym that has been sitting on my dresser since Xmas.... at least to get some shoulder/rotator cuff/exercises in...

And throw insome Snap Cap/dry fire practice... the list begins to grow... This desire to "just shoot" seems to be getting "involved". Lol!!!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Dry practice is a great help to me. And cheap too! I like the ProHands because they advertise it for shooting sports. Not too many folks want to put a gun in what their product is for. Off topic a little bit, but I have a friend who is a gun instructor in Texas. ProHands found him somehow, and have sent him a product to test/evaluate. Not too many pro gun companies out there.

I found the Gripmaster Pro to be the way to go. It just seems more 'solid' than the regular Gripmaster.

Last edited:

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    I know it's helped me. I use products from Ironmind. Their Captains of Crush grippers are the Gold standard in grip strength. Can't recall his name, but he's a competitive shooter and writes for their quarterly magazine.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom