Accurate Handguns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Thibodaux
    Hey Bayou Shooters I'm new to this place and this is my first post.

I want to pick you guys brains on accurate handguns.

Whats the most accurate handgun you've ever shot?
    Im talking competition down to the cheapest on the market.
    What do you think is best for accuracy and what do your buddies think?

Just trying to get some discussion started here.

Also, my dad is looking into purchasing one of the new Colt Competition 1911's or a Springfield Operator 1911.
    What should he go with?

Looking forward to hear what you coona**** and river rats have to say!

Edit: And I guess I wasnt very specific but I was mostly looking for input on 9mm, .40, or .45.
    Not so much .22 or .380.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Interesting topic, but we've just recently had a discussion about this.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?146351-Pistol-Ramblings-Your-Most-Accurate-Pistol

In the case of your father asking which pistol to purchase, I'm biased towards the Springfield, but it has nothing to do with accuracy. A stock Glock is more accurate out of the box than anyone on this forum will ever be. However, a stock Glock may not be the best choice for everyone in terms of "shootability." I happen to shoot Glocks fairly well, but I have friends that can pop a golf ball in flight with an Smith & Wesson M&P. If you can, let him shoot both and see which he prefers.

pmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Thibodaux
    Interesting topic, but we've just recently had a discussion about this.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?146351-Pistol-Ramblings-Your-Most-Accurate-Pistol

In the case of your father asking which pistol to purchase, I'm biased towards the Springfield, but it has nothing to do with accuracy. A stock Glock is more accurate out of the box than anyone on this forum will ever be. However, a stock Glock may not be the best choice for everyone in terms of "shootability." I happen to shoot Glocks fairly well, but I have friends that can pop a golf ball in flight with an Smith & Wesson M&P. If you can, let him shoot both and see which he prefers.

Thanks for pointing me to a proper thread Dave.
    As for which gun Pops should buy I was just looking to see if anyone had shot both or what was there experience with either.

I know the Colt is a newer release so its alot harder to find someone who has experience with one.

Once again thanks for the reply.

pmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2016
    Thibodaux
    Personally I haven't been able to shoot anything as well as a Kimber Pro Carry 2 that I've shot multiple times.

Anyone on here do any competition shooting?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Many good 9mm defensive pistols such as HK VP9, Sig P320, Walther PPQ, Glock G26/G19/G17 are capable of shooting 2" groups at 25 yards in the right hands.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It keeps me from sitting with the cool kids, but cz75 variants and clones are some of the best kept secrets. It sounds like we are talking all steel guns anyways since he's leaning towards two 1911 variants so ignore the cheap poly versions. Some are great and some suck but the steal guns rock. The first one I shot was my IWI Jericho 941 (imported as a baby eagle) its a fine shooting gun but for the money there are better versions. Tanfoglio makes an excellent gun for the price of a striker gun. Of all the pistols I own the Jericho shoots the best. Its heavy and has an extremely low bore axis making felt recoil very tame. Again there a many many many makers of cz75 clones because it was developed in an eastern block country that didint recognize intelectual property. Canik is a cheap cheap clone but its my understanding Canick is ISO 9000 certified. Again these guns likely wont make you the bell of the ball but they can compete and win.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I really like my Springfield Range Officer Operator, very accurate and fun to shoot. I actually got a Colt Competition this week, but it's for my wife's Bday which isn't til next week so it hasn't been shot yet. It feels and looks great, though.

Either will be more accurate than you, most likely. So will pretty much any well made modern firearm. Get what you like! However, a revolver like a S&W 686 will definitely be more accurate than the autos if you do your part.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Personally I haven't been able to shoot anything as well as a Kimber Pro Carry 2 that I've shot multiple times.

Anyone on here do any competition shooting?

What major firearms manufacturer produces a gun that isn't accurate? Most; and I do mean most people that purchase handguns not only do not have the right equipment to properly and quantifiably test fire a hand gun out of the box to calibrate it anyway, but don't even possess the knowledge to attempt to do so. The subtleties involved from person to person that influence a bullet path during the firing of a gun are numerous.

You asked for a competitive shooters experience? I will tell you mine.

I shoot a 9mm SPRGFLD XDM for competition. I like it for that, but will soon try a G34 just to see how it goes. I have the Glock 19 for EDC. I favor the SIG P229, and the Ruger sr1911 as two of my favorite shooters for any other purpose. I shoot all of them well, particularly standing still shooting a stationary target. They all feel differently in my hand. But regardless, shooting accuracy is an acquired and trainable skill!

Unfortunately for many, they put too much emphasis in the gun's accuracy (or worse, its inaccuracy), when it is almost entirely operator error; always! But, like an MLB player that has a favorite bat, I guess we convince ourselves that we must have a favorite gun.

The disadvantage for the person that doesn't have a lot of different pistols, or the person starting out is you may not have the opportunity to try a lot of different brands and sizes before you pick one. Like others can attest themselves, I have bought guns on a whim that I will most likely never shoot again. And it's not because I think they are less accurate than the others. ;)

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    What major firearms manufacturer produces a gun that isn't accurate? Most; and I do mean most people that purchase handguns not only do not have the right equipment to properly and quantifiably test fire a hand gun out of the box to calibrate it anyway, but don't even possess the knowledge to attempt to do so. The subtleties involved from person to person that influence a bullet path during the firing of a gun are numerous.

You asked for a competitive shooters experience? I will tell you mine.

I shoot a 9mm SPRGFLD XDM for competition. I like it for that, but will soon try a G34 just to see how it goes. I have the Glock 19 for EDC. I favor the SIG P229, and the Ruger sr1911 as two of my favorite shooters for any other purpose. I shoot all of them well, particularly standing still shooting a stationary target. They all feel differently in my hand. But regardless, shooting accuracy is an acquired and trainable skill!

Unfortunately for many, they put too much emphasis in the gun's accuracy (or worse, its inaccuracy), when it is almost entirely operator error; always! But, like an MLB player that has a favorite bat, I guess we convince ourselves that we must have a favorite gun.

The disadvantage for the person that doesn't have a lot of different pistols, or the person starting out is you may not have the opportunity to try a lot of different brands and sizes before you pick one. Like others can attest themselves, I have bought guns on a whim that I will most likely never shoot again. And it's not because I think they are less accurate than the others. ;)

Very valid points. Truthfully the question is not what gun is most accurate but what gun helps you the shooter most in achieving accuracy. That is the correct question to my answer anyways.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    My experience may vary from the majority because most of my pistols are all steel, with a few aluminum frames thrown in and only one polymer framed P38T. The most accurate revolver I own is a S&W model 48 in .22.magnum. It was purchased new in 1963. The most accurate centerfire revolver is a S&W model 57 .41 magnum. In semi autos my Browning Buckmark in .22 long rifle is currently the most accurate. My Colt Combat Commander will shoot better than I can. I have had no experience with a target grade centerfire semi auto. My experience with Glocks was limited to three, one I owned and two that belonged to friends. I could not shoot them accurately, which is why I no longer have one. I think your dad would be happy with either the Colt or Springfield. I have been shooting for about 60 years, handloading for 40, and collecting pocket pistols for the last 10 years. I have been coaching the Claiborne parish 4H .22 pistol team for three years. Fraternally David Hood

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    A stainless steel Ruger MK II 22 LR , that had gone through the Clark Custom Gun Shop and received an accuracy , trigger job and had a red dot sight mounted.
    My S&W model 41 wishes it could shoot that well....the Clark trigger job on the Ruger puts the S&W to SHAME . The Clark Ruger is just a magical thing to shoot...
    Gary

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    We have a variety of guns that I shoot at the range, from Colt and Ruger revolvers to Glock 19 & 43. The funny thing is, they are all just as accurate in my hands. I've done some metal target shooting at 25 yards and I can't say any of the guns is more accurate than the other. At that distance, I'm just as likely to hit the target with the 2" barrel LCR or the 3" G43 as I am the 4" G19 or a 4" revolver. All of the guns are more accurate than I can shoot, that is the best I can determine. The only real variable is how good I can shoot, not the guns themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom