.223/.556 ammo pricing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can buy PMC Bronze .223 for $5.99 or Federal 5.56 XM193 for 6.99.
    Is the Federal worth the dollar more a box? I never shot the Bronze. The Federal shoot good in my AR

Use is range work out to 200 yards and Just to have on hand
    Thanks

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Unless you reload or just require brass, I run Tula or wolf, 1000 shipped to the door for $225, never had a issue with it, a little dirty but never bothered me, I started shooting it, because it was cheap and for the " bad rap" it was given, I figured if I was just messing with the ammo/target practicing, it would give me some good live malfunction drills, with fte/ftf ect, but lucky me, or un lucky me I haven't had any issues with it

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    tula and or wolf. are so underpowered.. Your POI will be MUCH different than with others..
    Shoot and practice with what you want to use for real things..

manguydudebro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    I agree with bigchillin. By the time you shoot your barrel out with steel case ammo, you would have already saved enough money to buy a new barrel plus some. If you reload or like brass then look out for Wolf Gold. If you wait around you can find it for $300 for 1k shipped. Now to actually answer your question, I would shoot a box of both at 200yds. If there isn't much of a difference then go with the cheaper option. I can't see there being a real difference.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have ZERO ISSUES ringing steel at 200 yards with Aimpoint using Tula and wolf, just saying like manguy said after buying 1000 rounds of steel case you can buy a new barrel, after buying 4000 rounds you can buy a Aimpoint,eotech,complet upper for what you have saved, I also understand what he's saying about practice what you will use, but I keep that stashed, to me that would be like going to the range and shooting 300 rounds of 45acp 230gr +p HST, Just to practice with, that would make me broke, instead I run Tula and wolf, practice here and there with a box of HST, but burn up the steel,

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    the only damage steel case does is the extractor and its easy enough to replace.. it might wear out sooner.. who knows..
    but, I personally experienced 3 inches or more difference from wolf to fed or imi.. 55 gr..

No way your gonna shoot out a barrel unless you are full auto and doing mag dumps..

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wish I had a place to shoot over 200 yards but that is all that is available to me. The place that has the ammo on sale is Palmetto Arms. I think the Federal has free shipping and will probable order the Federal @ $6.99. I have not shot steel and if I buy Wolf I would go with Wolf Gold.
    Thanks

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    PMC is a lot cleaner than Federal, but it's also loaded with less powder.

Wolf/Tula/etc is even messier than Federal. I'd also worry about it wearing out parts of your gun if it's one of the cheaper ARs with subpar materials. It can wear out more than just the ejector. You'll probably never notice the difference and you probably won't even care, but a gunsmith or anyone that really knows how to inspect the inside of the gun will be able to tell a big difference between a rifle that's shot 1000 rounds of brass cased vs a rifle that's shot 1000 rounds of steel cased.

They're all viable, really, it just depends on what kind of AR you have. The wolf/tula is going to be cheapest, but at 50 cents or less per round they're all still astronomically cheaper than match grade, soft point, ballistic tip, etc. I personally prefer Federal.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I've run a couple thousands each of PMC bronze and Fed 62gr through my current rifle. Zero issues. The rifle prior had about 4k through it.

My rifle is sighted in on the PMC and when I do run federal 62gr, I can still hit the steel plate at 200 yards. So I've never noticed any drastic difference in zero. I don't precision shoot however.

Bulk buying the Federal rounds has given me some really beat up casings on a few occasions.

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    If you want brass case "best bang for your buck", the .223 Wolf Gold Brass case is actual loaded M193 spec ammo and can be had for .30 per round shipped. Many people have reported that this stuff shoots great.
    If you don't mind spending a little more and buy American, just find some Federal XM193. It's not match ammo, but it is good ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for all the information. I ordered the Federal XM193 @ $6.99 and included free shipping. The PMC did not include freight. My cost per round is .35

Last edited:

Bayou Bubba

Bayou Blaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Belle Chasse, LA.
    I can buy PMC Bronze .223 for $5.99 or Federal 5.56 XM193 for 6.99.
    Is the Federal worth the dollar more a box? I never shot the Bronze. The Federal shoot good in my AR

Use is range work out to 200 yards and Just to have on hand
    Thanks
    Who are you ordering from?
    Thanks for all the information. I ordered the Federal XM193 @ $6.99 and included free shipping. The PMC did not include freight. My cost per round is .35

I am my brothers keeper

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Buy online from target sports. Cheapest prices if you buy a case. No tax. Federal 223 is around $320 case and Speer lawman 9mm is as cheep as I'v seen since Obama got elected

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom