AR ramblings been thinking too much

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I bought my first AR in November last year. I never really cared to own on because I never really stoped to think and learn just how awesome a design they truely are. Since then I wouldnt say I have become a have become obsessed but a fan I am.

Right after buying it, I realized I was in trouble and really needed to keep my head on straight before I started spending like a politian on these things.

After much thinking and research I have decided I'm gonna buy a stripped lower or mill an 80% and first configure it as a blackout pistol. My goal is to keep one receiver and use it in multiple configurations and based on my research building a pistol first allows the builder to switch between rifle and pistol so long as its never configured as an SBR you have no need to get the stamp. To me a short barrel blackout with subs are ideal for defense from an interor space, inside the home, vechile, ext. My orignal purchase was based on the urge to own another up close and personal gun that would be enjoyable and no so spendy to shoot. Mission achieved mostly.
    The goal is to have on reciever service 3 uppers... for now.
    Pistol length 300aac
    16" 556
    24" grendel

Based on my understanding the BATFE ruling 2011-4 I can configure these three uppers on a pistol/other lower reciever as long as that receiver begins life set up as a pistol. I'm sure since I'm so late to the dance the band has played this song before. But humor me.

Anyone see any major flaws in my judgement? I know the old saying about a tool designed to do multiple task will do none well but I think an AR may just be the exception due to its very modular design and insane aftermarket support.

Last edited:

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You are correct that a pistol can go to rifle can go to pistol. However, it would be a huge PIA to have to swap the receiver extension every time you wanted to make that change and would wear the threads if you did it a lot. You would have to bring a mounted vise to the range to make the swap from pistol to rifle or vise versa. Milspec also calls for a staked end plate to keep the extension from coming loose. So, if you wanted that security you would need a stash of end plates to stake for every swap or every other swap depending on how the castle nut lined up. You would also likely have to use different weigh buffers your .300blk pistol and the other 2. Best would be to have a pistol lower and a rifle lower. However, orphan uppers have a tendency to turn into complete firearms. With the price of complete lowers hovering around $160 for some, it's hard to not just go ahead and get a complete lower for each and not worry about the hassle. This is even more true if you plan to have 3 guns and a pistol and rifle lower, you would only need one more compete lower to round them out.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You are correct that a pistol can go to rifle can go to pistol. However, it would be a huge PIA to have to swap the receiver extension every time you wanted to make that change and would wear the threads if you did it a lot. You would have to bring a mounted vise to the range to make the swap from pistol to rifle or vise versa. Milspec also calls for a staked end plate to keep the extension from coming loose. So, if you wanted that security you would need a stash of end plates to stake for every swap or every other swap depending on how the castle nut lined up. You would also likely have to use different weigh buffers your .300blk pistol and the other 2. Best would be to have a pistol lower and a rifle lower. However, orphan uppers have a tendency to turn into complete firearms. With the price of complete lowers hovering around $160 for some, it's hard to not just go ahead and get a complete lower for each and not worry about the hassle. This is even more true if you plan to have 3 guns and a pistol and rifle lower, you would only need one more compete lower to round them out.

I dont recall if 2011-4 touched on the buffer tube or not but I recall reading something from the ATF that said you could use rifle buffer tube on a pistol. I would likely run thorson device or simular while configured as a pistol. I believe so long as a rifle stock is never on or near the gun without a <16" barrel present it should be legal... I think.

Now obiously it would be easier to use seperate lowers and it is getting cheaper to build them every day if money were a problem, but if you can use the same buffer tube and swap uppers and weights it wouldnt be that complicated to field. Would it?

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Not sure why you'd run subs instead of supers. 8"+ 300blk will have plenty of energy with supersonic ammo. 300blk does really well out of short barrels because they utilize faster burning pistol powders. I have a can on the way for mine and still intend to use supers as they have more muzzle energy and with the right bullets will give you excellent performance. Also yeah why have one lower when you can have 2 or 3 whole rifles?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Not sure why you'd run subs instead of supers. 8"+ 300blk will have plenty of energy with supersonic ammo. 300blk does really well out of short barrels because they utilize faster burning pistol powders. I have a can on the way for mine and still intend to use supers as they have more muzzle energy and with the right bullets will give you excellent performance. Also yeah why have one lower when you can have 2 or 3 whole rifles?

I dont own a can and likely wont until the ATF stops regulating them. So having said that I would like to not make my ears bleed if I use it in self defense inside. I may have bad info but sound wise a pistol length with subs reports simular to a 45. Again I may have bad intell and may have to rethink that too. I refuse to shoot the 5.56 without ears on.

I may end up with two receivers anyways I've thought it out a lot but this is why I posted. Sometimes a "good idea" isn't that great when other people have a chance to help you think it through once more.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    For simplicity in pistol form bare buffer tube aint that bad.

But for quick and easy swapping magpul ubr minus the stock itself for pistol would be awesome. I'm just not sure I can get away with that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom