Open carry or in my pocket with a 6" Folding knife?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I ordered a Cold Steel Ti Lite 6" Stiletto knife and am wondering if I need to carry this hanging outside my pocket by the clip or can i have it in my pocket clipped in place with the top part of the knife visible.
    I've looked through the threads on here with the Louisiana laws referenced as far as auto knives are concerned, blah blah blah.
    This is not an auto knife which is illegal to own but just wondering about the carry options.
    I don't know if anything over a 4" blade is or 3" ? in your pocket is considered a concealed weapon.
    I'm not interested in getting into a debate over carrying a knife vs. a gun, etc. I work outside and sweat a lot doing lawn maintenance/landscaping work and don't want to to scare the clientele by packing a gun and also not sweating profusely over it. More of an intimidation factor for any wannabe thug that wants to pick an easy defenseless cracker for robbery/mayhem while working in Baton Rouge.

Attachments

• DSCN0988.JPG
      DSCN0988.JPG
      80.5 KB · Views: 181
    Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'd recommend a different knife. Take a look at the SOG Trident or a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. You could carry that, but it seems pretty useless.

Get a small pocket pistol (M&P Bodyguard) and conceal it. Much better of a weapon than a knife.

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Spyderco Military would make a better choice if you're going to carry a knife only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have small pistols to carry but don't want to while working because of the sweat factor and spooking elderly clients/yuppies carrying a gun, hence the knife. It'll be carried as a deterrent and I don't expect to get in any knife fights with aids infected thugs where I might get their blood on me. I already recieved the Ti Lite in today and it's the Crocodile Dundee of Stilettos. I guess if I was that worried about it I'd strap a machete on me as that looks more work related with a longer reach.
    The Ti Lite passed the stabbing through cinder blocks, 4" of denam penetration, puncturing and hacking off 12oz. of steak with one pass, cutting through a 1" hemp rope with one slice, blade put in a vice and 130lbs of weight added to the handle in an attempt to make the blade lock fail tests. I'd say it would do the job if needed and hey, it looks so cool.

Back to the original question, do I need to carry this openly to keep all laws obeyed or no big deal--the bulk of it can stay in my pocket and I just keep my mouth shut about it. It'll be my pocket rose pruner.

Last edited:

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Sounds like u got it figured out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yes, it's perfectly legal to carry that knife in your pocket.

If you're only going to carry a knife for personal protection, then I would advise you to look into Emerson knives and get some training.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    To answer your question, you're well within your rights to clip it inside your pocket in this state

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    To answer your question, you're well within your rights to clip it inside your pocket in this state

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own both the 6 and the 4". The 4" is my EDC because it is more practical. CS Ti-lite is a very capable knife and you can't go wrong with either.

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I always keep one of several Kershaws clipped in my pocket.
    It's there as a tool; I always gotta cut something.
    Things have really gone bad if it gets pressed into action as a weapon. :D

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I'll probably get the 4" next. Just liked the 6" cool Crocodile Dundee factor. Looking to get a Cold Steel 6" Hold Out next.

The funny thing is how insanely easy the 6" is to carry. It just tucks into your pocket like any other folder and is soon forgotten about until you pull it out, then boom, POCKET SWORD!

While the ti-lites represent some of the strongest liner locks on the market, The Holdout series uses that tri-ad lock which makes it even stronger. I've been eyeing that 4" Hold Out for a while, but I just don't care for G10 handles. They don't have a quillion on the blade either which is something I rarely use but still like as a feature. All of them can easily be opened with one hand without using the thumb stud, but I still like having that quillion on the blade as well.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The funny thing is how insanely easy the 6" is to carry. It just tucks into your pocket like any other folder and is soon forgotten about until you pull it out, then boom, POCKET SWORD!

While the ti-lites represent some of the strongest liner locks on the market, The Holdout series uses that tri-ad lock which makes it even stronger. I've been eyeing that 4" Hold Out for a while, but I just don't care for G10 handles. They don't have a quillion on the blade either which is something I rarely use but still like as a feature. All of them can easily be opened with one hand without using the thumb stud, but I still like having that quillion on the blade as well.

Demko's Tri-Ad lock is probably the strongest lock out there, but Cold Steel shouting they have some of the strongest liner locks is silly.

The blade will break before you ever break a lock.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Demko's Tri-Ad lock is probably the strongest lock out there, but Cold Steel shouting they have some of the strongest liner locks is silly.

The blade will break before you ever break a lock.

Well for their liner locks, CS version more resembles a leaf spring type of lock and it is definitely more beefy. I agree about the blade giving first on a liner lock.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well for their liner locks, CS version more resembles a leaf spring type of lock and it is definitely more beefy. I agree about the blade giving first on a liner lock.

The lock face geometry is what results in a good lock. If you think all of this material interfaces with the blade, you are wrong.

TiLiteLock.jpg

Only a tiny portion of metal contacts other metal.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    The lock face geometry is what results in a good lock. If you think all of this material interfaces with the blade, you are wrong.

Only a tiny portion of metal contacts other metal.

I don't think that all of it makes contact, though I do think more of it does if the knife is stressed?

I think I understand the point you are making is: Even though they possibly make the strongest liner lock, it is a moot point because the liner lock is a poor/dated design anyway?

or do you mean: The blade will fail first before the actual lock does, and this is true with many liner locks on the market, including CS?

and then a practical question for you:

Do you believe my 4" ti-lite will fail me if I have to improvise and perform a sewing machine style attack on an aggressors left flank & neck?

No sarcasm intended here. Genuine questions, attempting to educate myself further.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom