This guy with a DPMS Oracle .308 makes 568 yards look like child's play....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    your guy hit 2 out of 10, and has a spotter calling his shots.........my guy hit 4 out of 5 and rapid fire, no spotter.

Misses must impress you.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    They are both good shooters. Shooting irons at 600 yards is infinitely harder to me than using a scope. If you look at the guy in the first vid, he was using his cell phone first. He was probably using the nikon app, which will calculate the adjustments needed and calculate bullet drop for him. I know with irons, anything outside of 200 yards is tough for me to hit. (Not that I'm the best shooter but after 200 yards I cannot see the target).

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    They are both good shooters. Shooting irons at 600 yards is infinitely harder to me than using a scope. If you look at the guy in the first vid, he was using his cell phone first. He was probably using the nikon app, which will calculate the adjustments needed and calculate bullet drop for him. I know with irons, anything outside of 200 yards is tough for me to hit. (Not that I'm the best shooter but after 200 yards I cannot see the target).

I couldn't hit **** with irons at 600 yards, my eyes have betrayed me with old age. I posted Jerry Miculek hitting a 1000 yard plate with his 9mm revolver a few months ago. Like on the third shot if I remember right. That is the most amazing shot I've ever seen.....bar none. 2000 yard scoped rifle shots off a rest.....meh. Jerry is the man!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Between the two the shooter on irons inpressed me more but that oracal shot tighter groups than expected considering the prifile of the barrel and the quick succession of rounds down range. 500-600 yard shooting takes talant but with todays afordable glass more people are doing it than ever before. My eyesight sucks so anyone you can hit past 200yards regualrly impresses me.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    One guy is shooting a 556 and the other a .308. There's no comparison.

Actually, depending on the bullet selection, 5.56mm can shoot flatter long range than .308. 5.56mm is faster out the muzzle by 250-300 fps. So to make the statement..."there is no comparison", you must not understand long range ballistics.
    5.56mm will have slightly more deflection if there is strong prevailing crosswinds. Look at the chart I have linked...compare .308 and .223 remington long range performances. And some .223 rem loadings typically gives up 100-200 fps to military 5.56x45mm rounds in velocity. But even in Remington's long range chart out to 400 yards, .223 rem is slightly superior to .308.

If you use Hornady's long range ballistic calculator, 5.56mm has a clear edge over .308 beyond 400 yards, both using boattail projectiles.
    So a shooter who understands long range ballistics, has the proper equipment, and knows how to make corrections (dope), can execute long range effectively with either round.

https://support.remington.com/PREMIER%C2%AE_ACCUTIP_V%E2%84%A2/Rifle_Ballistics_for_Premier_AccuTip_ammunition

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I am quite familiar with the charts but u have some dufus shooting open sights off a gym bag with a 15 mph crosswind. Just the front sight blade will cover 4 feet at 600 yards. Factor that into your calculations.
    Actually, depending on the bullet selection, 5.56mm can shoot flatter long range than .308. 5.56mm is faster out the muzzle by 250-300 fps. So to make the statement..."there is no comparison", you must not understand long range ballistics.
    5.56mm will have slightly more deflection if there is strong prevailing crosswinds. Look at the chart I have linked...compare .308 and .223 remington long range performances. And some .223 rem loadings typically gives up 100-200 fps to military 5.56x45mm rounds in velocity. But even in Remington's long range chart out to 400 yards, .223 rem is slightly superior to .308.

If you use Hornady's long range ballistic calculator, 5.56mm has a clear edge over .308 beyond 400 yards, both using boattail projectiles.
    So a shooter who understands long range ballistics, has the proper equipment, and knows how to make corrections (dope), can execute long range effectively with either round.

https://support.remington.com/PREMIER%C2%AE_ACCUTIP_V%E2%84%A2/Rifle_Ballistics_for_Premier_AccuTip_ammunition

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Here is a guy shooting 1000 yards with irons. My ex father in law was on the beach in Normandy in WW2. John told me stories of routinely shooting at 600 yards prone in the Army using irons, for practice and matches before going to France. M1 Garrand.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Shooting at 600yds with iron sights isn't at all a novel idea or unusual. Happens every weekend at Palo Alto. Some guys do very well with their M1 as well. Prone with a sling - High Power matches. Also have F-Class matches. You should come out! We are so lucky to have so many opportunities to compete so close by.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Shooting at 600yds with iron sights isn't at all a novel idea or unusual. Happens every weekend at Palo Alto. Some guys do very well with their M1 as well. Prone with a sling - High Power matches. Also have F-Class matches. You should come out! We are so lucky to have so many opportunities to compete so close by.

Where are you speaking of close by? Where are these long distance matches?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Looks like you are in Hammond. Heck you are even closer that I am.

I am in Hammond. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go check out their website.
    When you originally posted palo alto, I thought of CA.

Must be close to the drag strip. I've been there several times in the past.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom