Why?????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Why do some gun manufacturers quit making some of the best guns? Take the Colt Python for example. I wish I had one myself but it's a beautiful and accurate weapon. Why did they stop making it?

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Too expensive to make. A lot of precision machining, hand fitting of parts. Drives the cost up so much average guy will not consider buying. Plus, revolvers are Old School. Younger guys lover their Glocks and SIGs, guns that can be made much cheaper.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Supply and demand rules. Demand went to semi auto pistols, revolvers are pretty much dead. Used Pythons today are going for $1200 plus.
    I owned a couple of them years ago, wish I still did. Silky smooth action, and oh so deep blueing. Nobody did a blued revolver better than Colt.
    I still own one revolver, a snub nosed 5 shot .38 special.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Try at least double that for 1970s and later Pythons, much more for '50s and '60s guns.

You got that right, there is one here for sale for $2700 on the forum. DAAAYYYUUMMM dem babies have gone up! I should have bought all the Pythons I could find in the early 1990s, as a long term investment. But who knew?

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Seems to me that if that's going prices for used Pythons they could be making good money if they still made and sold them new. And I don't mean with any improvements, just follow the same script they used when they made 'em. I should have gotten one or two a long time ago when I had the chance. Talk about an investment! Lol......

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    They don't make them anymore because all the old farts that want to buy antiquated firearm designs are starting to die off now, or have blown all their money on retirement homes and hip implants.

j/k

I own 2 myself......

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    The Colt Cobra and Diamondback especially the Db were two other very nice revolvers. Especially the Diamondback in .22.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I'm just now starting to get into revolvers. I'm looking to buy my first one. I guess it's the generation gap.

A used Smith Mod 66 or 19 would be a solid buy. The prices are not as cheap as when I got mine, but are not unreasonable either. They can be found for under 600.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Why do some gun manufacturers quit making some of the best guns? Take the Colt Python for example. I wish I had one myself but it's a beautiful and accurate weapon. Why did they stop making it?

Marlin quit making the 39. Considered to be one of the best rim fires ever made. They just can't make things like that fast enough with today's craftsmanship (or lack of) some guns need a skilled set of human hands to produce. And skilled human hands doesn't fit in a modern business plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    A used Smith Mod 66 or 19 would be a solid buy. The prices are not as cheap as when I got mine, but are not unreasonable either. They can be found for under 600.
    I never Had Colt $ but think they are the best. Will say that if made today the fit and finish would not be what they once were. Was lucky to get a 1911 in the late 70's
    I had my 19 6" in nickel since age 16. It looks way better than these pics show it is 95% flash makes it look bad.
    http://s234.photobucket.com/user/fast340six/slideshow/S-W 19
    It is a great shooter with a great smooth, and light trigger in single action. My oldest sons favorite gun

Last edited:
    Top Bottom