Optic for a Remy 700 5R (Accusport 85201)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Hard to beat the Vortex Viper line for the money, but if you got the scratch, NIGHTFORCE or S&B are the way to go.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Bump.

Wanted to kind of pjggyback here. I have a grendel build that will need some glass. Goal budget friendy medium-long target shooting maybe hunting a few times here and there. So far I looked at a Nikon Pro staff 5 and I really like how bright and clear it is. The 3.5-14x40 is just under $300 the xr turret model adds about $50 to the price but its a really cool option.

Its still towards the lower end of spectrum of glass, but it seems pretty nice. Thoughts?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Bump.

Wanted to kind of pjggyback here. I have a grendel build that will need some glass. Goal budget friendy medium-long target shooting maybe hunting a few times here and there. So far I looked at a Nikon Pro staff 5 and I really like how bright and clear it is. The 3.5-14x40 is just under $300 the xr turret model adds about $50 to the price but its a really cool option.

Its still towards the lower end of spectrum of glass, but it seems pretty nice. Thoughts?

Welcome Back! I like the Vortex scopes as well... Can't beat that warranty!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Welcome Back! I like the Vortex scopes as well... Can't beat that warranty!

Thanks. I broke the rules and had been warned, but I digress.

I looked at a vortex in that price range and was disipointed. The Nikon was much brighter. Focus seemed worse too but I didnt take the time to make sure I was being completely fair. I ran across a brand reviewed on youtube that had some high end features "Hawke" the guy had it in a group of five Nikon, Weaver, Mioptic and Vortex. It recieve extremely high praise for a band I have never heard of. I haven't put hand on one and I'm not a brand snob but I'm dont like to waste money either.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The uses:

Precision (short and long ranges)
    Hunting

Price:
    I'm not really worried about price at the moment. If I need to wait a bit longer to buy better quality I will do so.

Note: I would like to be able to touch out further than 600 yards from time to time. With that said, probably between 100 yards to 600 yards will be where I primarily stay.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    The uses:

Hunting

Price:
    I'm not really worried about price at the moment. If I need to wait a bit longer to buy better quality I will do so.

Note: I would like to be able to touch out further than 600 yards from time to time. With that said, probably between 100 yards to 600 yards will be where I primarily stay.

Sounds like we are looking fill the same purposes. I am really interested to see how this develops. Between $60-$6,000 there are a lot of options. Personally I would like to say around $300 or so, but I dont want buy something and "handicap" myself either. No doubt everything has its limits but benefit vs cost will sway my opinion.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    The uses:

Hunting

Price:

If price isn't a factor then I'd get the S&B PMII 5-25x56.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    Sounds like we are looking fill the same purposes. I am really interested to see how this develops. Between $60-$6,000 there are a lot of options. Personally I would like to say around $300 or so, but I dont want buy something and "handicap" myself either. No doubt everything has its limits but benefit vs cost will sway my opinion.

You can find some good used ones in the $300-$500 range if you look around. SnipersHide and AccurateShooter are two good sites to find used optics. I have to agree on the Vortex optics, I wasn't impressed either. Purchased the FFP PST model for almost $1k and was very disappointed that a $300 Millett was noticeably clearer on the same level of magnification side by side.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    My pops has the NightForce beast on a M1A super match... It's hella nice! you guys on a whole different level than me. I'm happy with my SWFA SS fixed 10x on my savage FCP-SR. Being limited by funds sucks!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You can find some good used ones in the $300-$500 range if you look around. SnipersHide and AccurateShooter are two good sites to find used optics. I have to agree on the Vortex optics, I wasn't impressed either. Purchased the FFP PST model for almost $1k and was very disappointed that a $300 Millett was noticeably clearer on the same level of magnification side by side.

What should I look for $3-500 used? I don't mind spending a little more or equal dollars for used it the difference in quality is that big. Also thoughts on SWFA?

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    A Millet 4-16x50 was just listed yesterday, that wouldn't be a bad one.

If you don't mind being limited to a fixed power scope, the SWFA is quality glass. I'm real happy with mine.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    What should I look for $3-500 used? I don't mind spending a little more or equal dollars for used it the difference in quality is that big. Also thoughts on SWFA?

SWFA aren't bad optics at all, a little big and heavy but overall good. Lots of used Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell 4500/6500 series, SWFA, Weaver, and others fall in that category. To me it all depends on the users needs/wants. For example how much magnification is a must, type of reitcle, side focus, size/weight, capped turrets or exposed. Once I determine these factors I start narrowing down a short list that fit my needs. My personal experience with Chinese made optics is hit or miss on quality, ones made in the Philippines were mechanically sound but clarity wasn't great. Japanese and German made have been the best of both worlds so I typically buy optics made in one or the other. The Leupold's (made in USA) I've used were good but they typically don't have the features I want. That's how I do it, everyone has there own method, hopefully I've helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom