Good deals on new AR-15 uppers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Primary Arms next door in Texas has some smoking prices on Radical Firearms (in Houston, TX) uppers. Several for $199.99.

I purchased a 16" .300 BO upper, an Anderson BCG (melonited), and a charging handle this morning for less than $325 delivered to my door. And the barrel is melonite treated. I have purchased from Primary before, they stand behind what they sell, have a great rep.
    Just thought I'd pass it on if anyone is interested.....

http://www.primaryarms.com/ar-15-uppers/c/101200/

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Primary is a great seller and Radical makes a good product, broke in a radical 16" a few weeks ago, no issues.

I had an upper I bought from Primary Arms, It was a radical, And it had issues. Primary though is a good dealer, still told me to go through radical for warranty issues. Radical after a week or so of exchanging emails, decided to replace my upper. The new upper ran 100%, but it did leave a sour taste in my mouth, so I sold it off (plus I since bought a half dozen uppers from other manufacturers).

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would stay away from radical unless you just cant swing the extra 125 for another brand.
    I know of 12 sold from a local seller, 4 have been returned with issues..
    I also was reading that they have been having bolts and or carriers break
    I read in another report trying to google and help someone with the radical, and another case of two charging handles break, two different users..

I do know there was a case of them sending out buffer tubes that were a smidge too long or too short causing the gun to not run.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I would stay away from radical unless you just cant swing the extra 125 for another brand.
    I know of 12 sold from a local seller, 4 have been returned with issues..
    I also was reading that they have been having bolts and or carriers break
    I read in another report trying to google and help someone with the radical, and another case of two charging handles break, two different users..

I do know there was a case of them sending out buffer tubes that were a smidge too long or too short causing the gun to not run.

Well, I shall see. I did read about a few problems here and there about Radical but for the price, I'd give it a try. Things like the gas block/gas tube misaligned.The BCG I purchased is Anderson BTW. Seems Radical's QC can be shaky at times. It makes one wonder how they can assemble and sell so cheap.
    I've heard people dogging out DPMS Oracles too. I bought one on sale at Cabela's about 4 months ago and I have had zero problems so far, and accurate too. For $525 plus tax, its pretty nice.

I believe one way or another, Primary Arms will make it right if there is a problem.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My sample size for Radical is limited to the two I and a friend bought, both 16" for $220 from JoeBob. We both used Anderson BCG's and CH's. They were crazy dry on arrival, and it was a bit hard to get MBUS sights to slide onto the rails, but both shot fine with acceptable accuracy. We lubed the crap out of them but they real stiff when new, cycled much smoother after about a 100rds and a cleaning.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My sample size for Radical is limited to the two I and a friend bought, both 16" for $220 from JoeBob. We both used Anderson BCG's and CH's. They were crazy dry on arrival, and it was a bit hard to get MBUS sights to slide onto the rails, but both shot fine with acceptable accuracy. We lubed the crap out of them but they real stiff when new, cycled much smoother after about a 100rds and a cleaning.

Mbus sights probably didn't fit b/c Radical parts are out of "spec". But I've had issues with PSA also, so I'm not a fan of either. I will say, my DSG ARMS uppers were ALL great, but still sold both of them in favor of noveske uppers.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Mbus sights probably didn't fit b/c Radical parts are out of "spec". But I've had issues with PSA also, so I'm not a fan of either. I will say, my DSG ARMS uppers were ALL great, but still sold both of them in favor of noveske uppers.

What makes Noveske worth that kind of money? I have owned Colt, CMMG, and Bushmaster, and a lot of less expensive AR rifles and uppers. Colt and Bushmaster are really nice battle proven products imo. What makes Noveski worth that premium?

http://www.noveske.com/collections/rifles

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Put a RA 10 1/2 upper on a crusader lower (pistol) with a Aim Nib bcg and had zero issues. Did put some blue lock tight on the hand guard screws. They were not tight from the factory. Ran like a top.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Put a RA 10 1/2 upper on a crusader lower (pistol) with a Aim Nib bcg and had zero issues. Did put some blue lock tight on the hand guard screws. They were not tight from the factory. Ran like a top.

Yeah, I went back on Primary Arms website and re-read the reviews for specific purchases. For the upper I purchased, there was 1 disgruntled purchaser out of seven. Most are glowing reviews, and PA sells a lot of RF uppers. A good indicator is RF on FB, 800+ reviews. Most complaining of waiting 8-10 weeks to get an upper or firearm assembled and delivered. But RF on their website posts up front delivery is running 8 weeks from demand. No doubt RF is assembling so many products, some errors occur. Time will tell.....

Bwalken

Foot clutch hand shift
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    New orleans
    I bought a brand new bcm upper off the bravo comPany site when they had a deal for a free bcg with every upper. With the bcm charging handle and bcg 15 in kmr and standard barrel with the mod 0 flash hider thing it came out to 630. In my mind that's a great deal for a good quality factory built upper reciever with functional parts. So I'm sticking with them. They also got it to my house in three days of me placing my order

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What makes Noveske worth that kind of money? I have owned Colt, CMMG, and Bushmaster, and a lot of less expensive AR rifles and uppers. Colt and Bushmaster are really nice battle proven products imo. What makes Noveski worth that premium?

http://www.noveske.com/collections/rifles

It's mostly the barrel. I owned a 10.5 inch noveske SBR, and a 16 inch DD rifle. I took it to the range one day to shoot a plate at 200 yards. Both were running Trijicon optics in the 1-4x flavor. I was easily hitting the target with the noveske sbr and not so much with my daniel defense. So I sold my DD and bought another noveske. They make a quality barrel, VERY tight fitting upper/lowers, and overall better quality when it comes to attention to detail. You pay more for the increase in precision due to them having to use better equipment to provide the standards they try to achieve. That cost money. BTW I called DD and their answer were, they are not target rifles, they are battle rifles that will run reliably.

Do I feel that it's worth 2-3 times more than say a colt? No. Do I feel someone else can out gun me with their home build from cheap parts? Possibly, I'm not the best shooter. But if it makes me shoot slightly better, and I can justify the cost, I'm happy.

I currently own a 10.5 inch noveske gen 1, a gen 2 noveske with 8.2 inch barrel, a gen 3 noveske that hasn't been built yet, and a gen 1 noveske 18 inch that was spec built for Rob Romero, formally of the Noveske shooting team. He no longer shoots for them, but had a ton of uppers and rifles, a lot unfired that he wanted to sell. He sold me one of his 3 gun spec'd rifles. He wasn't a fan of the gen3 due to parts compatibility (basically flared magwell doesn't work with certain things like vise block, billet upper won't accept rails with centering "tabs" etc)

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Yeah, I went back on Primary Arms website and re-read the reviews for specific purchases. For the upper I purchased, there was 1 disgruntled purchaser out of seven. Most are glowing reviews, and PA sells a lot of RF uppers. A good indicator is RF on FB, 800+ reviews. Most complaining of waiting 8-10 weeks to get an upper or firearm assembled and delivered. But RF on their website posts up front delivery is running 8 weeks from demand. No doubt RF is assembling so many products, some errors occur. Time will tell.....

If you order direct from RF the wait time is long. Always has been that way. Primary if in stock ships in a day or two.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    It's mostly the barrel. I owned a 10.5 inch noveske SBR, and a 16 inch DD rifle. I took it to the range one day to shoot a plate at 200 yards. Both were running Trijicon optics in the 1-4x flavor. I was easily hitting the target with the noveske sbr and not so much with my daniel defense. So I sold my DD and bought another noveske. They make a quality barrel, VERY tight fitting upper/lowers, and overall better quality when it comes to attention to detail. You pay more for the increase in precision due to them having to use better equipment to provide the standards they try to achieve. That cost money. BTW I called DD and their answer were, they are not target rifles, they are battle rifles that will run reliably.

Do I feel that it's worth 2-3 times more than say a colt? No. Do I feel someone else can out gun me with their home build from cheap parts? Possibly, I'm not the best shooter. But if it makes me shoot slightly better, and I can justify the cost, I'm happy.

I currently own a 10.5 inch noveske gen 1, a gen 2 noveske with 8.2 inch barrel, a gen 3 noveske that hasn't been built yet, and a gen 1 noveske 18 inch that was spec built for Rob Romero, formally of the Noveske shooting team. He no longer shoots for them, but had a ton of uppers and rifles, a lot unfired that he wanted to sell. He sold me one of his 3 gun spec'd rifles. He wasn't a fan of the gen3 due to parts compatibility (basically flared magwell doesn't work with certain things like vise block, billet upper won't accept rails with centering "tabs" etc)

Sounds like a very nice collection Stephen. I'm surprised the DD disappointed. I've never owned a DD, but from what I have read and seen over the years, they make some really quality firearms and accessories. And I was not throwing stones by any means, I wanted to understand the economics/opinion of a Noveske or high end AR from an owner and user. I'd like to see that 18" Noveske 3 gun rifle.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sounds like a very nice collection Stephen. I'm surprised the DD disappointed. I've never owned a DD, but from what I have read and seen over the years, they make some really quality firearms and accessories. And I was not throwing stones by any means, I wanted to understand the economics/opinion of a Noveske or high end AR from an owner and user. I'd like to see that 18" Noveske 3 gun rifle.

Not that I don't like DD, just don't LOVE them. I think they build a quality rifle that will go bang every time you pull the trigger. But IF you are trying to shoot 1 ragged hole, look elsewhere. I had the 16 inch one from years ago before they raised all their prices and gone commercial. And my brother has a mk18 from them. Mine shot fine just wasn't as accurate as my noveske, and my brother's is overgassed, but runs fine. More than likely its the suppressor, but when zero'd with the m4-2000, it shoots dead center of what we zero'd the eotech, but without the suppressor, it's high right.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans

04BD8C7D-DAC7-42B4-B0C9-E2882010AF3C_zpseicnurx9.jpg

AFD2F688-5835-41CB-843C-0D1451E517A5_zpsvvonuxhl.jpg

Here's the noveske rifle you wanted to see. Noveske built complete upper, 18 Stainless match barrel, intermediate gas system, Noveske marked Raptor, syrac gas block, VDI low mass BCG, 16.7 NSR rail, ADM recon mount, Trijicon TR24, Noveske n4 lower, CMC 3.5 lb flat trigger, Seekins selector, Odin works extended mag release, magpul PRS and moe grip.

I may swap it out with my flared gen 3 lower that I'm currently building.

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom