New Release - Magpul Receiver Extensions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    They have a hefty price tag though :eek3:

img_5848.jpg

img_5849.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For people who need a longer length of pull?

Looks like a 10 position receiver extension and a 7 position receiver extension. I'm curious what the center to center dimensions are for each hole vs a mil-spec receiver extension. They call the 10pos extension a SR-25/M110 style extension, but those two rifles use A2 stocks. My guess is it's a rifle length adjustable receiver extension.

What I don't understand is that they call the 10pos extension a "Mil-Spec sized, SR25/M110 profile buffer tube," but that doesn't make any sense. They sell a rifle spring, but no rifle buffer.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I bought the 10 position one for a carbine I plan to build soon. Needed a good buffer tube, this one looked good, and I like the magpul people.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Fer real... I'm waiting on the Magpul knife line to come out

You won't see that happen. Surefire dipped their toes in that market and it never really worked out for them. No sense in jumping in the knife market when they are a leader in the gun industry.

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    I have not read up on it but I think it's a copy of the Vltor A5 system. They use a rifle length buffer tube and spring but it still will fit a regular stock. It's supposed to help soften the recoil. I have the Vltor system on a 11.5" build but I have not shot it yet. BCM also had the same setup (made by Vltor). Not sure about the magpul but the Vltor can only use there spring and buffer...it is not the same diameter as a regular spring and buffer...or maybe it's just the buffer. Anyway make sure before you load up the wrong buffer and mess something up.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm a believer in the Vltor A5 system, if this functions similarly I'd say it's a welcome addition to the market. The only problem with the A5 system is once you put it on one rifle you want it on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    I'm a believer in the Vltor A5 system, if this functions similarly I'd say it's a welcome addition to the market. The only problem with the A5 system is once you put it on one rifle you want it on all of them.

I liked what I read about it that's why I decided to try it out on the last build. I'm actually using the pistol tube and kak blade until I get it registered as a sbr. Haven't had the time to shoot it yet tho.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I liked what I read about it that's why I decided to try it out on the last build. I'm actually using the pistol tube and kak blade until I get it registered as a sbr. Haven't had the time to shoot it yet tho.

It slows down the cycling and really calms the rifle down between shots. It's noticeable enough that it feels weird at first if you're used to standard ARs, but you get used to it. Theoretically it slows down the rate of fire, but I find my follow up shots are actually faster as you're not fighting the recoil as much to get the sight back on target. Especially if you're using a suppressor.

Assuming the Magpul is similar, I'm not much for guinea pigging stuff but excited to see feedback on it. I've got another SBR lower waiting on a stamp that will need a buffer system in a mere 6-8 months. :(

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It slows down the cycling and really calms the rifle down between shots. It's noticeable enough that it feels weird at first if you're used to standard ARs, but you get used to it. Theoretically it slows down the rate of fire, but I find my follow up shots are actually faster as you're not fighting the recoil as much to get the sight back on target. Especially if you're using a suppressor.

Assuming the Magpul is similar, I'm not much for guinea pigging stuff but excited to see feedback on it. I've got another SBR lower waiting on a stamp that will need a buffer system in a mere 6-8 months. :(

It doesn't necessarily slow down the cyclic rate on a semi-auto, but it does remove bolt bounce. On full auto, it cuts the cyclic rate slightly, allowing for more accurate and controllable firing. When I first read about it, I thought it was all a gimmick, but after seeing a ton of reviews and slow motion videos, it's pretty neat.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It doesn't necessarily slow down the cyclic rate on a semi-auto, but it does remove bolt bounce. On full auto, it cuts the cyclic rate slightly, allowing for more accurate and controllable firing. When I first read about it, I thought it was all a gimmick, but after seeing a ton of reviews and slow motion videos, it's pretty neat.

The time the action takes to cycle is reduced whether it's full or semi auto. That's kinda the point. The benefits are the same, just more pronounced on full auto. A well tuned midlength with the A5 system feels alot like a rifle length system. Even on my carbine gas SBR the action is noticeably slower.

It works so well I'm surprised you don't really see it as OEM on any of the higher end boutique rifles. I'd bet that will change if the Magpul setup proves to be decent.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually, reading more on the Magpul buffers, it appears they are just standard carbine buffer systems with an extra stock adjustment hole, not A5 style systems. :(

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The time the action takes to cycle is reduced whether it's full or semi auto.

What I meant was, the overall time of the bolt cycling with the A5 system compared to an a carbine buffer with bolt bounce is about the same. It feels better, because you don't have that clunky bolt bounce feeling, like the video shows.

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    Actually, reading more on the Magpul buffers, it appears they are just standard carbine buffer systems with an extra stock adjustment hole, not A5 style systems. :(

Ahh well thats useless.

I am interested to see how my sbr shoots...I have the A5 system but I also have faxon's 11.5" Gunner barrel that is a mid-length gas system on a 11.5" barrel. Might shoot pretty darn smooth...I have a SLR adj gas block to tie it all together.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What I meant was, the overall time of the bolt cycling with the A5 system compared to an a carbine buffer with bolt bounce is about the same. It feels better, because you don't have that clunky bolt bounce feeling, like the video shows.

The entire action feels different. From the moment the bolt unlocks, the rearward travel, when it bottoms out at the rear, etc. Not just the reduction of bolt bounce. I have two A5 equipped rifles I've been shooting for yours. I know how it feels and why, I don't need to watch videos. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom