A month away!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    IMG_0385.JPG4257664899cbc2ac27afdf6beaf5ff70.jpg91a1fbc045db1a67bdec8052d0925252b080cc2d44f61ac5acec3e8eedd4ac83.jpg

Just remembered I had a Bass Pro gift card in my wallet. Ordered a couple bottles of scent-a-way and 2 boxes of #6 shells. Don't really need too much more to get ready this year. I'm starting to get anxious now! Who else is ready to get back in the woods?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Been wanting to get back into hunting for a while now. Been hungry for a good deer stew or roast. Fried backstrap aint nothing wrong with that either.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I hear ya JC!

I'm 43 and just got into hunting four years ago. Better a late start than never. I'm completely addicted to hog stalking and WMAs are where I've spent my time. Mostly Pearl. I was recently invited to join a 1100 acre lease for under $1k, so I did and my twin 16 yr old sons are pretty excited. We've bagged 43 hogs to date but all still have our deer virginity in place. I've spent every weekend for the past two months at the lease clearing trails and mapping the place out. Had to buy a used side by side and, dang, that just brought the excitement to a whole new level!

Recently found the rifle I've wanted... my go-to hunting rifle. A Marlin .444 XLR stainless steel, lever action, bull barrel, 5 shot capacity with a wood stock. I'm having www.levergunleather.com make a custom leather rifle sling which will hold five .444 shells and my skinning gut knife. Just got my Leupold Firedot glass in and will sight that in this weekend.

Planning on spending this coming weekend at the lease again clearing more trails and hopefully completing my mapping of the area. It's a lot of area.

Once of my deep freezes was completely emptied out two weeks ago which is quite the sad situation, but is good timing. Will definitely put some pork in there. Maybe some venison too!

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Good luck on the lease this year! You'll probably have better luck there than on WMA's. Try and get in there and finish up what you got to do and let the area settle...

Also, I'd really like to see a pic of the shell holder/sheath when it comes in. I have the XLR in 45/70 and may be interested in one.

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I'll post a pic when it comes in. Scheduled to arrive the first or second week of November. He has a ton of pics on his website. Some really nice work. Takes a few weeks off in Oct for Elk bow season.

I guess to really get excited about October hunting I should get into bow hunting. Yeah? The guys on the lease say the good deer are pretty much gone by the time rifle season starts.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    The deer know what time it is when bow season starts and start becoming nocturnal pretty quick. I need to work on my camp since I didn't really get a chance this summer, so mainly during bow season I'll go rabbit hunt a few spots at dusk. Going through the de-scent process sucks after working all day. Plus, bow hunting is hard as hell! If you wanna play the game though, I'd say get a crossbow. I'll be ditching the compound for one this year. Get ready to take some jostling from the guys at the camp for it though.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    This is worse than being a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Had a great scouting trip last weekend. Saw two 200# boars in separate locations on the way to a new spot that I felt would produce. Was in the woods less than 30 minutes. Sharpening knives tonight.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    image.jpgimage.jpgFinally getting a chance to post the results of our bow hunting trip to Tennessee. Me and a buddy pulled out 5 deer on public land opening week. Should have had 6 but I missed that one.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Cool weather coming this weekend, I took a doe last Friday looking for a certain buck this weekend !

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Thanks for the pics MIKE! I'm going to have to look into doing a trip like that in the next few years.

IMG_1044.jpg

He wasn't walking away opening weekend! I want 2 more for meat, then I'll get serious about antlers.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    ANTLERS : I tried boiling them for ten hours and never could get them tender. Heading to Red Dirt NWR tomorrow for 12 days. Let yall know about results then.
    Thanks for the pics MIKE! I'm going to have to look into doing a trip like that in the next few years.

View attachment 66305

He wasn't walking away opening weekend! I want 2 more for meat, then I'll get serious about antlers.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    ANTLERS : I tried boiling them for ten hours and never could get them tender. Heading to Red Dirt NWR tomorrow for 12 days. Let yall know about results then.

I just tried him as my first. 10 hours did great because everything fell right out, plus I had no discoloration on the antlers. I was a little too hot though because the nose split a little. If anybody has any input, tips or hints on boiling for skull mounts, I'd sure like to hear it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom