Need a good mechanic in B.R.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickelPython357

Revolverist
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La.
    So I go to leave for work yesterday morning and my car will not go into gear, 95 celica st 5 spd. The clutch is making a rattling sound and will not fully disengage. I finally got it to go into gear but the clutch bites when you let the pedal out almost immediately instead of at the usual point. Did as much internet research as I could but can find no definitve answer. Once it is rolling it changes gears fine and it doesnt slip at all but from a dead stop it is really hard to get into first gear. I just need a competent mechanic to help me figure out exactly what the problem is without just telling me it needs a new clutch. It is not the clutch itself but something in the hydraulic system that releases the clutch. The fluid in the clutch master cylinder is topped off and I can`t find anything amiss with the mechanical parts so I am stumped.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I agree, take it to Vince. His shop wrenches on my vehicles or me. That's it.

Dirty

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Vince is great, he won't do you wrong. I worked there for a time and I never saw him take advantage of a customer. I worked with some fine mechanics at that shop.

If it is a problem with the master, slave cylinders or lines, usually it will be leaking and you will find the fluid low. Filling and bleeding may be a temp fix, but it will only get worse. Sometimes the springs on the clutch can break, jamming a piece in the fingers not allowing the clutch to fully release. This will make getting into first very difficult, if not impossible with the engine running, but the other gears may feel normal as they do not require as much clutch disengagement when the transmission is turning. If you have a dust cover or clutch inspection cover, and you are very lucky, you may be able to see the piece jamming up the works and push it out with a pick or something. But again, this is a temp fix, your clutch needs to be replaced soon. Worn clutch surface usually presents itself as a slip, this does not sound like your problem.

You can always drive a manual transmission as long as the clutch is not slipping and it is holding. With the ignition off, put the car into first and turn the key. The starter motor will start pulling the car forward, and you will feel when to add a bit of gas and let off the key. From there, shift without the clutch. Try to float the gas to match engine and transmission speed as best as possible, and with slight pressure you will feel the shifter slide into the gear. Usually easiest to rev a bit high, then catch it as the RPM falls off. This can get you out of a tow if you are close to home or a shop, but you are putting a serious load in the starter motor (which is likely cheaper than a tow anyway.) My wife was able to drive her car back from Houston this way without killing the starter motor.

Hope this helps, go to L&S

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I had L&S change the clutch and some other suspension bits on my 99 F-150 about two months ago, very satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    Another satisfied customer of L&S. Vince was awesome to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom