Replacing front sight on my S&W 686

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I have a new version 686-6 with the pinned front sight. I want to replace the stock ramped sight with a black partridge target type. I do a lot of my own minor work on my guns but I'm not comfortable in drilling the new one. I don't have a drill press to begin with and while I could buy one easy enough, I don't have the right size pin punch.

Anyone do that? Or should it be left to the experts? Any gunsmiths in the Covington/New Orleans area that would do that sort of thing? I'd think for a gunsmith this would me fairly minor.

Thanks in advance!

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    The gunsmith I've been recommended is Jonathan Reulet in Covington, out on 1077 near hwy 190. We have a Ruger with him right now getting a trigger job, it's the first time I've used him though. It sounds like what you want done would be pretty simple, as that gun has removable front sight. I've got a no-dash 686 with the fixed front sight, that would be a lot harder to change. Anyway, I get the sense that he does good work but don't expect it done super fast, as I hear he's usually pretty busy, and will probably be so with deer season coming up soon.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Thanks for the tip! I've heard of him but don't know anything about him. I'll give him a call. The pinned site is a no brainer..... But a revolver that doesn't have a pinned setup would be major work like you said. I have a Smith mod 29-2 that isn't pinned. I wouldn't dream of doing that to it.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom