Remember the Mandeville Shooting Incident with the Instructor?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Remember a few months ago, a concealed carry instructor shot and killed a guy in a quick-stop on Hwy 22 in Mandeville? The subject who was shot was harassing the Middle-Eastern store clerk. When the concealed carry instructor (who was open-carrying) intervened, the guy attacked him, the instructor shot and killed him.
    There was quite a bit of discussion pro and con here about openly carrying, and whether it further exacerbated the situation.
    Regardless of my opinion on open carry, I donated to a Go Fund Me campaign started to help this guy with his legal expenses. The person that started the campaign said the shooter could be looking at thousands of dollars of legal expenses if he was indicted.
    My question: Since he was not indicted, what happened to those funds that were raised. Also, a thank you note would have been nice.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I've seen this happen in various other situations as well. Go fund me accounts set up for a situation that never winds up occurring, and then the funds are just used for personal benefit. I would think an instructor would have carry insurance, but maybe it wouldn't apply with open carry?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That's why I didn't understand why everyone was donating money before he was charged. I also asked if he ever got a lawyer and who advised him to get a lawyer and don't think anyone ever gave a straight answer.

That $20 I donated for the melted Glock has saved me a lot of money. I've learned to ask questions before donating money.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hmm. So if he wasn't indicted, is it presumed under the law this was a legitimate self-defense shooting? And if so, would that offer protection from a civil suit even though there was no grand jury ruling on the case?

(I know this will come as a complete shock to some of you- but I'm not an attorney. :dogkeke:)

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    That's why I didn't understand why everyone was donating money before he was charged. I also asked if he ever got a lawyer and who advised him to get a lawyer and don't think anyone ever gave a straight answer.

That $20 I donated for the melted Glock has saved me a lot of money. I've learned to ask questions before donating money.

Ah, the melted Glock donation hoax. Those were the good ole days.

I only donate to trusted, verified sources.

Hmm. So if he wasn't indicted, is it presumed under the law this was a legitimate self-defense shooting? And if so, would that offer protection from a civil suit even though there was no grand jury ruling on the case?

(I know this will come as a complete shock to some of you- but I'm not an attorney. :dogkeke:)

They're have been many people cleared criminally in shootings that had to pay out in civil suits. Many LE agencies have that problem. Any one can be sued and any time for any reason. Just because the suit is filed doesn't mean there's going to be a payoff.

JR1572

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Many people are naive. The Gofundme business is allowing many to defraud a lot of people, especially after the floods here. One fund was set up by a sorority in New Orleans claiming to collect for Louisiana flood victims, also claiming 80% of American Red Cross donations go to salaries and overhead. Yet people were donating from all over the country generously. Now I'm no big fan of the Red Cross but that statistic is pure bullsh*t, and cannot be proven whatsoever.

An Alton Sterling Fund on gofundme and the originator was in California, was over $650,000 and donations still rolling in hard, yet they closed the fund early. Supposedly to get the funds to the family, but right in the gofundme rules outline, the beneficiaries can draw off funds at any time, like a bank account. I really believe the campaign was a fraud, and when they saw the massive amount of money rolling in, they shut it down early. Why else would you shut down a fund still bringing in loads of donations?

Now I am not saying all the campaigns are bogus, not by any means. I believe the majority are on the up and up. But you can best believe some are frauds. Especially with the floods in Louisiana, and the BLM/shootings. Some people will exploit anything for their own gain. Just go to the gofundme and search "great flood of 2016" or "Louisiana floods"......the shear number of campaigns is amazing. And gofundme gets 8% right off the top, every campaign. Gofundme management boasts right on their website they have helped people collect over 2 billion dollars world wide, do the math.

You have to use some discretion, and maybe a bit of research on line before donating to just any crowd funding campaign imo.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Well, he is driving a new (to him) truck! Temp tag in the window.

Maybe instead of a punisher logo, he'll put a gofundme sticker on the back!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They're have been many people cleared criminally in shootings that had to pay out in civil suits. Many LE agencies have that problem. Any one can be sued and any time for any reason. Just because the suit is filed doesn't mean there's going to be a payoff.

JR1572

See, I thought Louisiana law regarding civil suits over self-defense shootings had been changed following the George Temple case from around 10 years back- but I could be wrong.....:dunno:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    See, I thought Louisiana law regarding civil suits over self-defense shootings had been changed following the George Temple case from around 10 years back- but I could be wrong.....:dunno:

No rainbows and cupcakes here.

OC dude learned why OC is stupid, real quick.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    OC dude learned why OC is stupid

I never got the impression the OC-ing was the crux of the issue in this case...you did?

Anyone have the original thread about it? I can't find it...I want to go back and read it b/c from memory, it seems the issue was him going to get the license plate without deploying ninja skills.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I never got the impression the OC-ing was the crux of the issue in this case...you did?

Anyone have the original thread about it? I can't find it...I want to go back and read it b/c from memory, it seems the issue was him going to get the license plate without deploying ninja skills.

Let it go there is no changing some people's way of thinking.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

It was a conglomeration of stupid choices.

How dare you tell someone that they can't discuss something on a discussion board.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

It's a fine line to walk

4Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    One must be very cautious when donating to a gofundme page. They are often times set up by someone other than the person they claim to be raising money for and sometimes the person running it is a scam artist and never gives over the money.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It's a fine line to walk

4Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. 5Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

I believe that is proverbs. Do I get a cookie? For being a redneck and well read?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It was a conglomeration of stupid choices.

How dare you tell someone that they can't discuss something on a discussion board.

If you were trying to stick your pecker on a conductor bar I would advise otherwise.

Top Bottom