Tim Tebow Baseball Tryout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

In the final stage of his showcase, Tebow faced live pitching from former major league righthanders Chad Smith and David Aardsma. Against Smith, Tebow took two balls and fouled two off, then hit a grounder to where a second baseman would be stationed. A grounder to short followed, followed by another. Tebow did manage a line drive to shallow center that would have been a single. A five-pitch walk followed.

The next challenge came in the form of nine-year MLB reliever Aarsdma. It started with another groundout and a single up the middle. Then, the 34-year-old former closer used his changeup. There was a swing and miss on a change inches off the plate, then a pitch of out the zone, then two more swings and misses on identical pitches to the first. “David was out here trying to get a job,” said Moeller, who has worked with Tebow since May. “He was looking to find a job for next year, and that’s what makes it more real.”

Tebow wrapped up his time against live pitching with his fair share of hits, with the lone strikeout. This included a ball hit to left-center that popped off the top of the wall, and fell back into play.

Based on everything we know, if you're a scout, are you recommending your team pursue him?

MLB Scout: I think I would. I just don't see the harm in giving it a shot. For Tebow to look as "good" as he did in the workout with that much time away from the game is really impressive, and if you really believe in your player-development staff, this is the kind of athlete who can help a big-league club. There will undoubtedly be clubs who just don't want the distraction, but if it was my decision, I'd be willing to give it a shot. The worst thing that happens is you release him if/when he shows he can't handle it. The reward is a guy who makes managers alter the way they manage their bullpen. The reward certainly outweighs the risk, in my humble estimation.

He definitely got mixed reviews, but as the saying goes "It only takes one."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...howcase-workout-scouts-usc-reaction/89611816/

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I respect him for going after his dreams no matter what people out there say. Of course he is not MLB ready but I could see him on a triple A or double A team with a chance to work his way up.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Maybe I will hold a try out too. I can still send-em yard every once in a while.

He sould just stick to reporting on sports it will pay more and is much easier on the body.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Maybe I will hold a try out too. I can still send-em yard every once in a while.

You feel that accurately represents what Tebow did? I pitched in college and can "send them yard every once in a while" too, but I think the comparison of you/I to Tebow is a bit comical.

He sould just stick to reporting on sports it will pay more and is much easier on the body.

I applaud him for going for his dream...he said it was agonizing giving up baseball and he always "wondered"...so to not be weighed down with regret, he's going for it. Good for him.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    You feel that accurately represents what Tebow did? I pitched in college and can "send them yard every once in a while" too, but I think the comparison of you/I to Tebow is a bit comical.

I applaud him for going for his dream...he said it was agonizing giving up baseball and he always "wondered"...so to not be weighed down with regret, he's going for it. Good for him.

Well I'm glad you found it comical. That was my goal. But please dont find my comedy absent a point. Sure he could play for a minor league team if I trained six months I might could walk-on too but crap man I'm 31 years old and this aint a movie. He had a good gig last time I checked. Enjoy your life and if you can't get it out your system play on rec. leagues. Regret is a useless and often expensive emotion.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    He has no more opportunities in Football, last I heard Denver gave some possible consideration to bringing him back when they were trying to figure out what to do this year at QB. But I suspect that was not a serious rumor, probably didn't come from the Broncos themselves. As far as he is concerned, if he can play baseball, I see no reason why he shouldn't try. But in truth, it's a hard sport to play at that level, so his chance of success is probably very slim.

I've heard it said the hardest thing to do in any sport is to hit a major league fastball. I enjoyed watching this movie on the subject.

https://youtu.be/Ybw2W2pXm6Y

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Well I'm glad you found it comical. That was my goal. But please dont find my comedy absent a point. Sure he could play for a minor league team if I trained six months I might could walk-on too but crap man I'm 31 years old and this aint a movie. He had a good gig last time I checked. Enjoy your life and if you can't get it out your system play on rec. leagues. Regret is a useless and often expensive emotion.

Isn't that what he is trying to prevent? He's said he had to "know" the answer to if he had what it takes to play baseball and didn't want to have any regrets.

Good for him for putting it out there and living it.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Isn't that what he is trying to prevent? He's said he had to "know" the answer to if he had what it takes to play baseball and didn't want to have any regrets.

Good for him for putting it out there and living it.

I will never know what might have been if I had tried out in college or even post college, but I knew the chances of making it to the show were slim and I wouldn't be able to provide for a family as a washed up could have been so I took a smarter approach. I'm not hating on Tebow, but he has a job in sports casting that will continue to make him a good living. It just seems foolish to give up on to try to walk-on some bush league team.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    It just seems foolish to give up on to try to walk-on some bush league team.

I think our situations are much different than his, but we can't forget endorsement deals and other fringe income that will come from this as well. he can always go back to broadcasting as a fail safe.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    good grief, did you see Jordan's swing and throw? I don't think they are comparable at all.

Yeah he sucked something fearce. Tebow doesn't appear to suck but that footage was clearly edited. I know a lot of guys who dont suck but would be wasting their time trying for the bigs.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I played softball for a couple years in my 20's it was fun and some of those dudes were quite tallented but none of us were quiting our day jobs to try out for the Zephers.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I played softball for a couple years in my 20's it was fun and some of those dudes were quite tallented but none of us were quiting our day jobs to try out for the Zephers.

You continue to compare apples and oranges imo.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Let the hate begin...I mean, Continue!

Tebow 1st AB: Home Run...finished 1-5 tho lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...highlights-reaction-from-instructional-league

I never intended to "hate" on Tebow more question a career move. I even question the Mets expo. team picking him up except he will likely put a few extra butts in the bleechers. It's good to see he cranked one in a game, but he is still a long way from the show and mean while his paychecks are now quite tiny compared to when he reported on sports. That's all I ever intended.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    That's pretty much where baseball has gone, swing for the stands. I remember seeing an interview where Mike Piazza was talking about how the art of hitting for averages has pretty much disappeared in MLB.
    That's because small ball doesn't put as many asses in the seats.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom