Potential NOLA Ordinance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The part about displaying in a way that is upsetting could be construed to be used against OC. I'm not a huge open carry fan but I like to have the option....

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    It's New Orleans. The city has never been gun friendly to anyone. No surprise there. State law supersedes City law so if you do get into a situation with NOPD, just be cordial and non-combative. Please Please Please keep your mouth shut. Follow the instructions and fight it in court. You won't win it in the street. I have had some positive and negative interactions with NOPD but I remind myself they are human and have to deal with some of the less than stellar wildlife that live in certain parts of the city. That **** can wear on a person. It's not personal although it may seem like it at first. Last thing we as 2nd Amendment loving citizens need is to add fuel to the poorly informed Liberal machine to do what it does best..... Weaken America.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    ...and banning guns with serial numbers removed. Super glad that "they" thought we needed that in a city ordinance.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    This sounds like a Bad law written by Stupid people. I know that it isn't the exact wording of the law but How can you tell if a member of the public feels threaten by how you carry your gun. The gun owner has to Know what makes Mr John Q Dumbass feel is unsafe? Thats a lot of leeway for the LEO & prosecutors to eather release someone or lock him up for months. All over the same insistent.
    Next if your are the victim of a crime and don't report soon enough for Mitch, You are now the Criminal!
    And last if you build a 80% AR with out a s/n you are in possession of an illegal firearm!
    But in JP, SBP & STP all is good and you are not a Criminal.
    Thanks Mitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    This from the city who's police chief believes gun's are required to be registered.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    QUOTE: Glad they removed the part about guns without serial numbers. That would have made quite a few antiques illegal.

I believe that has been a Federal law since the 1960's
    Does Mitch think he has had a great "new" idea ?
    Guess it makes him look good for people that don't know.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I may have misunderstood but is part of the ordinance about making sure gun theft is reported within 48 hours?
    If that is true then what exactly is the problem they are trying to address? Don't people typically report robberies? What am I missing here?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I may have misunderstood but is part of the ordinance about making sure gun theft is reported within 48 hours?
    If that is true then what exactly is the problem they are trying to address? Don't people typically report robberies? What am I missing here?

The claim is that unscrupulous persons unknown are buying LOTS of guns as straw purchases for all of the street crooks. Then when the guns turn up at a crime scene, the straw purchaser says, "Oh, my bad. That gun was stolen."

If this has really been happening a lot, wouldn't it be more efficient to monitor the suspected straw purchaser and then drop the hammer on him for some serious federal crime, as is already authorized?

BTW, it passed; and one council member said that he did not love guns, but was "holding back" in deference to state law.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    The claim is that unscrupulous persons unknown are buying LOTS of guns as straw purchases for all of the street crooks. Then when the guns turn up at a crime scene, the straw purchaser says, "Oh, my bad. That gun was stolen."

If this has really been happening a lot, wouldn't it be more efficient to monitor the suspected straw purchaser and then drop the hammer on him for some serious federal crime, as is already authorized?

BTW, it passed; and one council member said that he did not love guns, but was "holding back" in deference to state law.

Is there any documented case of this?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Sounds like he is trying to implement California laws here in La. They have made 80% builds illegal unless you have a serial number supplied by the CADOJ. Also you must now register all assault weapons(their words) and they cannot be transferred even in the event of your death to your heirs. Starting sometime soon they will also be implementing background checks for ammo purchases.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    This law is stupid and will be hard to enforce. Just another waste of taxpayer's time and money. Say I'm at the office in Harahan and one of my guns come up stolen out the ahhhh... panel van. They cant make me report that in Orleans Parish when it happened in Jefferson if I don't want to file a report. Also what happens when the original owner has sold it and its been resold a few times, then someone steels it out my ahhh... panel van. Giant waste of time. But you know the hand ringgers have to do something.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    This law is stupid and will be hard to enforce. Just another waste of taxpayer's time and money. Say I'm at the office in Harahan and one of my guns come up stolen out the ahhhh... panel van. They cant make me report that in Orleans Parish when it happened in Jefferson if I don't want to file a report. Also what happens when the original owner has sold it and its been resold a few times, then someone steels it out my ahhh... panel van. Giant waste of time. But you know the hand ringgers have to do something.

Whitebread, what are you saying?
    Do you live in a Van down by the River?
    That kind of logic is for lawyers, not for Councilmen.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    So, lets say someone has carried into a movie theater, or similar place in the past (that has a no weapons sign - lets say, a very small one)
    Now it's illegal (and an actual crime vs. being asked to leave) due to NOLA city law ?
    These people in office must be way smarter than me, because a huge amount of what they do does not make any sense to me.
    Guess I should have stayed in Political Science in college.
    7 years of college down the drain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom