Is there a legal way to bring a handgun into California?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Say you were going on a road trip that had you traveling through California. And you intended to bring your handgun with you on this trip.

Obviously, CA doesn't recognize your LA concealed carry permit. Could you still somehow transport your gun in your vehicle legally?

Assuming it's a CA compliant gun in the first place.

Anybody know?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would imagine it's legal but with crazy laws like sub 10 round mag, ammo and gun separate from each other both in locked containers of some sort.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    1. A handgun is useless unloaded.
    2. A handgun is useless locked away in a container or in the trunk.
    3. Who the F*** travels through California?

I hear you.

But, I have never been to California, and I want to see it. From what I gather, it's a beautiful place. I know I won't be able to carry a gun there, but I'm prepared to make that compromise for a few days.

I think I can live with the other stupid regulations, like less than 10 round magazines, etc. I'll be happy bringing a revolver. I'll be camping and hiking along the way and I'll be passing through states that have reciprocity with LA, except for CA.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just leave the guns at home. I've been to Kommmiefornia and love it. Hate the laws, but man, Every city I've visited was beautiful. I love San Diego the most, since it's laid back, has a "gas lamp park" the reminds me of the french quarter but clean, has the beach within eye sight of down town, and mountains on the opposite side, A cruise around La Jolla is just beautiful also. Food is just meh, but maybe that's why the people aren't as fat as they are down here.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    1. A handgun is useless unloaded.
    2. A handgun is useless locked away in a container or in the trunk.
    3. Who the F*** travels through California?

1&2) you could load it at your destination?

3) feel free to deny yourself whatever experiences you like, I'll plan to get out though

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If you decide to take a gun with you, I would not be satisfied that you understand their wacko laws to a "T". Follow the letter of the law while driving. And maybe consider not driving an Auto registered to you or any other chp holder. There have been some accounts of east coast lib-tard states targeting out of state drivers and once pulled over aggressively looking for weapons.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I wonder what the laws were in the early 80's. I took a 15 week trip on my Yamaha Virago 750 through several states a year out of high school. Had a small tent, couple changes of clothes a pocket full of hard earned cash and an old 1911. I think I spent about a week and a half toting that thing throughout the whole of California. I reckon I was an outlaw back then...my how times have changed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom