INCREDIBLE Vintage find!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I came across an original Colt SP1 with a serial number in the 100's!! From everything I've read and researched, the lowest serial numbers in circulation are in the 600s! Needless to say I am excited and anxious to get it back to its glory. I will take some pictures and post them soon. It's in amazing condition... original three pronged flash-hider, triangular handguard, has the forward assist, drilled hole to pin buffer tube, holed-safety, says "Colt Patent Firearms" instead of "Colt Firearms Division", screwed front pivot pin... I mean, INCREDIBLE!

I purchased a NODAK SPUD triangular charging handle, but an authentic one would be nice!

So, I'm trying to restore it to factory but it was missing everything aft of the receiver except the stock itself. I am looking for an Edgewater Buffer, spring, and buffer tube (the early model with no wrench flats and has a hole in it for removal).

If you come across or know someone... or even have seen these things floating around on the web... LET ME KNOW!

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Oh, and I believe the full story is highly indicated here.
    Would love to know how you came across this gem.
    Has to be quite an incredible tale.
    :)

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, and I believe the full story is highly indicated here.
    Would love to know how you came across this gem.
    Has to be quite an incredible tale.
    :)

Actually... Finding it wasn't that "incredible"... more luck! In a nutshell...

A friend ordered a Law Enforcement trade-in... received it and shortly thereafter was hit with a need for some immediate quick cash... So he offered it to me. Originally I purchased it because of it's "Retro" look... I won't say how much because it was obscenely under-priced because he didn't really know what he had. Hell, I didn't either until I started researching it after I bought it from him. Apparently this thing was purchased by some department back in the day and sat in a rack for years.

Once I began researching it, I quickly realized what I had. Once in a lifetime.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    SP1's don't have a forward assist.

That's because the upper is actually from an early M16A1 with the teardrop assist. Also in immaculate condition. Carry handle, handguards (no broken teeth), Forward Assist, Tri-prong flash hider, etc.

It's amazing how light the entire rifle is... mainly because of the pencil barrel.

All Trolling aside... Technically not an "Original SP1"... if not anything else, for the NODAK SPUD charging handle... and the fact that I pointed out that the buffer tube, buffer and spring are missing as well... but still of great value and still a great find... especially for what I paid for it.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That's because the upper is actually from an early M16A1 with the teardrop assist. Also in immaculate condition. Carry handle, handguards (no broken teeth), Forward Assist, Tri-prong flash hider, etc.

It's amazing how light the entire rifle is... mainly because of the pencil barrel.

All Trolling aside... Technically not an "Original SP1"... if not anything else, for the NODAK SPUD charging handle... and the fact that I pointed out that the buffer tube, buffer and spring are missing as well... but still of great value and still a great find... especially for what I paid for it.

Just busting your balls. Even if you didn't have a complete rifle, the lower itself is of great value.

Now you just need to shoot it.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Just busting your balls. Even if you didn't have a complete rifle, the lower itself is of great value.

Now you just need to shoot it.

Oh I want to get her perfect before I do that. I almost had an Edgewater Buffer a few days ago, but someone sniped me on it. Once I get it complete, I have a friend who is a Vietnam Vet... I want him to be the first to fire it.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I picked up a very nice SP1 last year, made in 1973 & never molested. It had the Edgewater buffer but I blessed it with a new spec buffer & spring. I have the original parts bagged & tagged. Haven't had the first stoppage & didn't have to touch the sights. It just feels right, maybe cause that's what I carried in the first Gulf War (USAF M16, no A1).

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I took the triangle hanguards off my early Colts and stored them. Swapped them out with more modern versions that will fit the triangular front cap. I only have 2 prebans that I bought new (and I do like the SP's), all the rest I bought years ago from private sellers who realized they weren't their cup of tea, mostly in the late 70's and early 80's when I first got into playing with them . A few i actually bought in various degrees of diassembly, due to some folks forgetting how to reassemble, lol.
    Some of the first gun shows I attended in Texas and here in Louisiana would always have a few tables loaded down with totally stripped down colts and what is now known as the mil surp parts kit, i.e. everything but the lower. They were crazy cheap and I would buy bunches of them so cheap it would make some of you guys cry. The parts boxes began to mount up and I eventually got it all organized. The last preban I bought was a couple years ago, had been tucked in an old man's closet in pristine condition. It just happened to be a SP. It was the only one of his guns the surviving family wanted to sell and they humbly asked $200 for it.
    I temporarily added a scope to prove it's accuracy to some of my buds.
    How many of you know the difference in the front takedown pin? Here's a clue, if the pic will accurately show it.
    d93c97531aee584542f94ab43a2fd11a.jpg

ff1b963a9dae70dd7b5c306dfc2a225c.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Colt wound up selling a few different versions of the AR prior to the ban that I was able to take advantage of. Different barrels and such. I remember when the first flat tops hit the market. Dang those things looked odd at the time. Eventually other manufacturers joined in and you could buy AR 15 parts and rifles with different logos. The Eagle arms lowers I have are the last of the prebans I bought. Olympic Arms made some nice stuff too. But if you didn't mind a little spray paint and some battle scuffs, the stripped down parts kit mil surp rifles were the way to go. I must have wound up with a couple dozen canvas wrapped cleaning kits. That's what fits in the old fixed stock rifle butts in case you guys didn't know, lol. And the brown wrapped 20 and 30 round mags at Sinclares army surplus in Central could be had for $2.50 and $6 respectively.
    Dang if the AR ain't the most fun gun on the planet.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Im jealous! I built the closest thing i could to one....an original is probably more than this guy could for out for one right now.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Still looking for a buffer tube, buffer and spring if anyone knows anyone!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom