Dash Cams

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    From the other thread...let's have a short discussion.

Who uses dash cams? Who knows about them? Any advice people?

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I install and work on them for commercial fleets.

A lot of our customers have multiple cameras. Facing the driver, oncoming traffic, etc...

They have helped some and damned others.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I know they are used a lot in other countries like Russia and many in Europe and provide some damn fine entertainment... But that's about all I know about them.

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am also interested in getting a dash cam. If you find a good one let me which make and model you decide on.

If I get in an accident I do not want to get Into he said she said situation. I want proof even if it works against me. I also seen a lot of events including tornadoes and other events I would like to have recorded.

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have been using a Garmin 30 for about 3 months now. I upgraded to a larger SD card and can get 5-7 days worth of my normal driving out of it. I specifically picked this one because I wanted a name brand, no gps, and the ability to turn the sound off. I purchased it the day after someone merged into my truck and then tried to file a claim with my insurance company saying I deliberately hit her.

I wish i would have bought it sooner, could have saved me lots of grief dealing with that situation.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have been using a Garmin 30 for about 3 months now. I upgraded to a larger SD card and can get 5-7 days worth of my normal driving out of it. I specifically picked this one because I wanted a name brand, no gps, and the ability to turn the sound off. I purchased it the day after someone merged into my truck and then tried to file a claim with my insurance company saying I deliberately hit her.

I wish i would have bought it sooner, could have saved me lots of grief dealing with that situation.

Why no GPS?

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Ive tested a couple civilian dash cams. The GPS enabled ones require proprietary software to play back the footage with GPS data embedded. That was a deal-breaker for me. The last one I ran (pulled it out 2 weeks ago when I traded in my car) had a front camera and one additional camera which I had pointed at the driver window including my face. I would get a weeks worth of video recording both streams, then have to erase the card to start recording again.

I wanted to talk to the manufacturer to get it to automatically delete the oldest recordings so it would keep filming without intervention every week. But so far I haven't followed through.

I was in the process of setting up a web store to carry dash cams because I think they will become big in America like they are in Russia. Everyone is filming everything now-a-days. Money became kind of tight so I havent moved forward with that.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I've been thinking of getting one. It is like driving in a war zone in Lafayette sometimes. Definitely want one for the Motorhome. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut off while traveling.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Sorry for the poor quality. The video files were 60+ mb, so i just took a couple pictures of videos. Daytime and at night.

668d4237bd1c205127bf332f597d8868.jpg

d3b9bebfee360652858e47d7795ace17.jpg

eff48998033cb59750d3586ce6ac9427.jpg

ab54335c9d831054d90a77f35b3b4eaf.jpg

Last edited:

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Get one that uses a capacitor instead of a battery - the heat will destroy the battery.

I'd originally come in here just to say this - it's widely known normal lithium batteries in standard dash cams can't handle the heat. I purchased the capacitor model to avoid this problem. The Black Box G1W is a perfect example. The link is not where I purchased it, however. I got it for 40 dollars + the cost for the rear view mirror mount and longer AC adapter to make the installation clean. I can't recommend this system enough. Thankfully I've never had to use it, or the recordings it captures, but the potential for it makes it a no-brainer to me. Just beware if you go to buy it, be weary of fake sellers and fake products.

Moving onward, I will also recommend the simplest and cheapest solution I used for 3+ years. Using your cell phone as a dash camera. The benefits are two-fold as it keeps you from being tempted to use your phone while operating a vehicle, plus you get the dashcam. I used a sticky backed suction cup style mount for both a Galaxy S3 and S5 made by iOttie. Besides the mount the application I use (and still have installed) is DailyRoads Voyager from the Google Play store. It's free, has all the features you'd ever need, automatically overwrites older files etc etc etc. For those that use your phones for music and GPS note that I had absolutely no problems simultaneously streaming music over bluetooth to my vehicle, navigation (voice commands to turn), and the dash camera working. I did capture a few things utilizing this setup and the most notable one can be seen below.

Both systems utilize a simple file format for easy transmission, and once you get either of these two systems setup and get accustomed to it, you'll slap yourself for waiting this long. I hope this helps anyone considering using a dash cam in their vehicles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom