Dash Cams

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    $20 is a small gamble. Walmart had some very nice looking dash cams for $20 by Pilot. Very small, easy to program and will run in loop mode to make the 3GB micro card (included) work for you. I decided on a 64GB card for a few bucks more. Been using it since before Christmas and very satisfied.

Marlin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know much about them but I did see Academy Sports on Juban Rd in Walker had several models available up front in the $29-$50 range earlier today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Question: you get into an accident that is probably your fault. THe officer walks up to your car and sees the dash cam. Does he have the right to demand to see the video?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    $20 is a small gamble. Walmart had some very nice looking dash cams for $20 by Pilot. Very small, easy to program and will run in loop mode to make the 3GB micro card (included) work for you. I decided on a 64GB card for a few bucks more. Been using it since before Christmas and very satisfied.

I have one of those

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Question: you get into an accident that is probably your fault. THe officer walks up to your car and sees the dash cam. Does he have the right to demand to see the video?

I'm gonna go with probably no.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

He has the right to secure and tow your car then get a search warrant for the car seeking contents of the camera, which is what I would do, if you refused to provide it on your own.

That video is potetial evidence of a crime, even if it's just a crash or traffic offense. Plus some officers may not have the proper equipment to save a forensily sound copy of the video on the scene. If you are involved in a questionable crash and the camera is present, you can bet any investigating officer worth his salt will want to see it. It can be secured to prevent destruction just like any other piece of evidence. Plus it's in a vehicle, which is an exception to the warrant rule, so there are a few different can of worms to open here.

Bottom line it is evidence and can be treated and collected as such.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Since your car is an extension of your home, no they cannot take the tape without a warrant...

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Since your car is an extension of your home, no they cannot take the tape without a warrant...

That's cute..... you actually think you know what you are talking about.

Your wrong, but hey:dunno:, don't listen to me, a guy that knows what he's actually talking about. Get legal advise from an internet lawyer:rolleyes:

You might want to read up on the SCOTUS decision about the vehicle exception to the search warrant, and the accompanying DECADES of state and federal case law supporting it.

You really should keep you mouth shut until you can actually support what you are saying with facts and quit dolling out bad info. It just makes you look dumb.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

LOL! (for those that don't know its a very old running joke on here...)

So, my point was that the camera may not be a good idea if you're at fault. We're a comarative negligence state (you can be 100%, 75%, 50%, etc. at fault).... not having 100% conclusive evidence (not that video is) could be beneficial. Kinda like invoking the 5th... you're incriminating yourself. Which would be my argument in the case of the officer wanting the video evidence (not that it would work). Even if the video of a bad accident was inconclusive, I'd rather the DA not have a chance to go through my last several days driving. "So, Mr. LaCamper, why were you driving 20 miles over the speed limit on the spillway on the Friday before the accident? and what about that stop sign you didn't come to complete stop at on W Metairie?"

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    LOL! (for those that don't know its a very old running joke on here...)

So, my point was that the camera may not be a good idea if you're at fault. We're a comarative negligence state (you can be 100%, 75%, 50%, etc. at fault).... not having 100% conclusive evidence (not that video is) could be beneficial. Kinda like invoking the 5th... you're incriminating yourself. Which would be my argument in the case of the officer wanting the video evidence (not that it would work). Even if the video of a bad accident was inconclusive, I'd rather the DA not have a chance to go through my last several days driving. "So, Mr. LaCamper, why were you driving 20 miles over the speed limit on the spillway on the Friday before the accident? and what about that stop sign you didn't come to complete stop at on W Metairie?"

I'd worry less about the DA and more about a civil ambulance chasing Morris Bart type getting a hold of it.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Well there is an alternative. If you know you are at fault, hide the dang thing before Jonny take your S### shows up and takes your s###.

Personally I find it unsettling an individual's dash cam could be used against them in traffic court. It feels far fetched but I would wager it's not.

What's next sending a warrant to Verizon to provide the gps data? Or just deciding warrants are unnecessary, and just monitor everyone's phones and automatically send out tickets. Then when you are riding in the passenger seat and get a ticket that you don't deserve you could just pay the extortion because everyone knows it's impossible to get out of a ticket. :doh:

The leap really isn't that far. The Obama administration already told us we have no right to privacy as to where our phones are.

But to hell with the Bill of Rights I mean we all just want to be fair and safe and all get our participation trophies. Right?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom