Loctite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    As in 45 years of doing one thing, and he now decides to ask the internet (the most unreliable source of information).

Except that we have a member that was a Loctite Rep for 15 years so BS is a great place to ask that question and get reliable information.

Guys, I was a Loctite Factory Rep for 15 years and got that question all of the time-especially rolling up on this time of year.

A purple or blue threadlocker should be fine. Don't ever use a red permenant threadlocker on something like a scope mount.

Purple threadlockers are considered low strength and have a lower breakloose and prevailing loosening torque for removal than the medium strength threadlockers have. Red is off the charts for mere mortals.

Dirty

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Valid question from Barry J. IMHO. Plus things change and new products appear.

But then again should we ever pass up a chance to troll someone on BS.com?

We all make choices. How we, as individuals, act on this forum is a choice. I am not getting why some one would choose to respond to Barry J in any way other than being helpful on a matter such as this. I don't put Loctite on any scope mounts, don't have a problem and don't see the need to belittle Barry J over it. Even If I did I am sure I could easily choose something more important to do.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Valid question from Barry J. IMHO. Plus things change and new products appear.

But then again should we ever pass up a chance to troll someone on BS.com?

We all make choices. How we, as individuals, act on this forum is a choice. I am not getting why some one would choose to respond to Barry J in any way other than being helpful on a matter such as this. I don't put Loctite on any scope mounts, don't have a problem and don't see the need to belittle Barry J over it. Even If I did I am sure I could easily choose something more important to do.

+1 here. Common observation.

Maybe Austin should make this thread a sticky.....Dave_M was wrong twice in a single thread. Imagine that!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Except that we have a member that was a Loctite Rep for 15 years so BS is a great place to ask that question and get reliable information.

Read post #5.

Well, first off, you need to do your homework and check the torque specs of the rings or mount you are using.

Aimpoint does not suggest specify Loctite or any other threadlocker on the mounts that I own. There are a number of other manufacturers that do not specify threadlocker either. Going to the internet for answers is silly. Does the manufacturer recommend it; yes or no? That's going to be your answer.

+1 here. Common observation.

Maybe Austin should make this thread a sticky.....Dave_M was wrong twice in a single thread. Imagine that!

Wrong or right, I gave an answer to the question :fawk:

What say you, herp derp?

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Wrong or right, I gave an answer to the question :fawk:

What say you, herp derp?

Oh you gave the OP much more than just an answer. You gave him a dose of your arrogant, holier than thou attitude. And you were freaking wrong! Twice!

There is a very obvious reason why you are not suitable as a moderator. I pity the humans who have to live under the same roof with you. Good grief......that must be daily torture!

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Purple or Blue.

The Blue one! And, you don't need to lather it on the threads; thread the screws part way in, blue Loctite on the side of the caps, capillary action will suck to the bottom of the cap, follow the torque instructions; and let dry for 24 hours. If you use red Loctite on a scope mount you will get banned from every gun site in America! Well, you should anyway.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oh you gave the OP much more than just an answer. You gave him a dose of your arrogant, holier than thou attitude. And you were freaking wrong! Twice!

I was wrong? Where? Seems the majority of folks tend to agree with purple or blue.

There is a very obvious reason why you are not suitable as a moderator. I pity the humans who have to live under the same roof with you. Good grief......that must be daily torture!

What does this have to do with me being a Marketplace Moderator? Did I delete your "WTB Women's Underwear" thread? Why are you so salty?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Blue one! And, you don't need to lather it on the threads; thread the screws part way in, blue Loctite on the side of the caps, capillary action will suck to the bottom of the cap, follow the torque instructions; and let dry for 24 hours. If you use red Loctite on a scope mount you will get banned from every gun site in America! Well, you should anyway.

Yup. A little goes a long way with threadlocker. I use purple for small stuff like set screws and machine screws, blue for anything over 1/8" dia. I would never use loctite unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it.

Suggesting red loctite was a joke. God forbid anyone is dumb enough to use it on a scope mount. A lot of folks suggest red loctite for gas blocks, but I don't even do that (pinning is the best solution).

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Blue locktite for sure, always keep some around, just don't do like that guy on here several months ago that was using anti-seize and wondering why it loosened up so often.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009

and we will tease and taunt you and call you silly names...

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I don't know if this is the right place, but what's the best method for loosening up loctite? I was always told heat.

Thanks.

JR1572

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Just spent an hour this morning fighting a Rear yolk nut on the output shaft of an 18 speed Trans.

Red loctite + 500 ft lbs of torque + 2 3/4" locknut makes life interesting.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Learn something new everyday. Always used the blue for my purposes so I would never have to heat anything up to get it off.

Never even new about the other Loctite or all the other colors/reasons to use etc.

On a side note wouldn't have it been easier to just post a link to the Loctite website and then an explanation of how different manufacturers may have different recommendations etc?

We are supposed to be a community here to some extent...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    On a side note wouldn't have it been easier to just post a link to the Loctite website and then an explanation of how different manufacturers may have different recommendations etc?

No, because he wanted to know if we think you should use loctite on a scope mount, then tell us we are wrong anyway, because he's been doing it for 40+ years.

Top Bottom