Loctite

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well, first off, you need to do your homework and check the torque specs of the rings or mount you are using. Blue, Red, Green, and Purple are color indicators, but Loctite also has different types in similar colors.

You may want to use Loctite 222 (purple) for your application.

But what the hell do I know? I'm just a dude on the internet.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You're good. That's only the first mistake you have made all year.

Do you get my point yet?

Loctite makes different adhesive threadlockers for different applications. Some are for set screws under 1/4", some are for 1/2" bolts. They also make hi-temp and low-temp adhesive threadlockers. Use the wrong one and you will have to heat up the screw/bolt to melt the threadlocker.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    You incorrectly made an assumption that I didn't know what I was talking about. I have been mounting scopes for 45 years using blue Loctite. I had someone tell me that Loctite is not necessary, and I was wanting to know if that was true. That is why I asked what I thought would be a yes or no answer.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You incorrectly made an assumption that I didn't know what I was talking about. I have been mounting scopes for 45 years using blue Loctite. I had someone tell me that Loctite is not necessary, and I was wanting to know if that was true. That is why I asked what I thought would be a yes or no answer.

Congrats! For 45 years you have been using the wrong Loctite.

Q: Should Loctite be used on a rifle scope?
    A: Does the manufacturer of the scope mount or rings recommend it?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Have a nice day Dave. Note to self: Don't play with Dave on the internet.

You have been doing something for 45 years and you finally decide to ask the internet for advice? You have a nice day too... LOL

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Guys, I was a Loctite Factory Rep for 15 years and got that question all of the time-especially rolling up on this time of year.

A purple or blue threadlocker should be fine. Don't ever use a red permenant threadlocker on something like a scope mount.

Purple threadlockers are considered low strength and have a lower breakloose and prevailing loosening torque for removal than the medium strength threadlockers have. Red is off the charts for mere mortals.

Dirty

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Guys, I was a Loctite Factory Rep for 15 years and got that question all of the time-especially rolling up on this time of year.

A purple or blue threadlocker should be fine. Don't ever use a red permenant threadlocker on something like a scope mount.

Purple threadlockers are considered low strength and have a lower breakloose and prevailing loosening torque for removal than the medium strength threadlockers have. Red is off the charts for mere mortals.

Dirty
    Hey Dirty! It's Zeal. Soon as I saw this thread I said to myself, "boy I wish old Sanchez was on here to give us the final on this. Lol.
    Cheers brother!

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Good to hear from you Zeal.

Looking forward to hanging out w you and the rest of the fellas on the campout.

Dirty

Top Bottom