My Welded AR Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddexd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I'm a new member to this forum, but not new to the AR platform. I've built a couple of retro rifles as well as lately a welded up AR lower using the jig saw puzzle pieces from an online vendor.

I welded up the lower using a TIG and I'm not the best welder, but it's stuck together pretty well. Did I mention this thing required a lot of grinding and sanding to get looking decent. So here are some photos taken during the build.

First is a good start on welding up the lower.
    Good_Start.jpg

Next one shows everything welded, sanded and ready for paint.
    Ready_for_Paint.jpg

I elected to use Duracoat flat black, which was a learning experience with our southern humidity. I learned if you are the recommended distance away the Duracoat actually was flash drying which led to a rough sandpaper texture you see on the last photo.
    Fresh_Duracoat.jpg

Last photo of fully assembled rifle. I even did some engraving on it to give it personalized look. Look closely and you can spot the sand paperish spots on it. But overall it came out pretty good and it does shoot.
    All_Completed.jpg

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Why did you have to weld it in the first place? This sounds like a story in itself.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Also curious about the online vender, almost looks like it was a de-mil cut ?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I've seen them before, but never a completed lower until now.

5058979_orig.jpg

6380789_orig.jpg

And I decided against 80% lowers because I thought the benefit didn't outweigh the aggravation. I've spent hours painstakingly welding stuff like that, and I would take milling out an 80% over that any day.

OP: All that said looks like it came together nice, and good God do you have some patience.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And I decided against 80% lowers because I thought the benefit didn't outweigh the aggravation. I've spent hours painstakingly welding stuff like that, and I would take milling out an 80% over that any day.

It may not benefit you, for whatever reason, but some TIG welders can do amazing things. Would I ever use an 80% lower or weldable lower for a HD gun? Hell no, but it probably makes a neat conversation piece, if you're into that sort of thing.

redo%20(3).jpg

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    It may not benefit you, for whatever reason, but some TIG welders can do amazing things. Would I ever use an 80% lower or weldable lower for a HD gun? Hell no, but it probably makes a neat conversation piece, if you're into that sort of thing.

redo%20(3).jpg

Yeah I just don't have the patience for that. Someone left their calling card on whatever that is. That's an artist. The level of precision and patience that it take to burn those dots in.

Wait those aren't dots they are scallops.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yeah, I don't understand why. Not when you can purchase a quality lower receiver these days for $80. Ditto the 80% receivers. I guess the novelty of building/welding/machining your own LR.
    I just cannot understand the logic in it. Same for plastic/synthetic 100% lower receivers.....versus a 6061 forged and tempered aluminum receiver?

ddexd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Yep the flatspot is where I got the puzzle pieces from. As to why would anyone build one of these things. Well, its kind of like asking the guy that climbs a mountain why on earth would they want to climb a mountain. Same reason, I like building stuff and I've done the 80% forged lowers and there just isn't much challenge in doing them. So I decided to see if I could make one of these welded lowers and try to push my abilities a bit, and my patience as well.

In the end the lower came out pretty well, but now that I've climbed the mountain. I'm not sure I would want to do it again. Just waaaaaaaaay to much work with all the grinding, but was still a fun challenge.

Next on my list in no particular order are: UZI; AKM-47; CETME-L; AR-9 & AR-47.

ddexd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Almost forgot. My learning on using Duracoat in our southern heat.

1) Degrease before blasting
    2) Aluminum Oxide blast the parts (I use 100 mesh media @ 30 psig).
    3) Do NOT touch the parts without a glove on.
    4) Blow off the dust from the parts.
    5) Mix up the Duracoat per the instructions and I added 15% reducer so it would flow nice out of the siphon fed air brush. The use of 12 cc hypodermic syringe without needle, were a big help.
    6) Spray light coats.
    7) Get 4" or a little closer to the part when spraying. I noticed that any father away from the part being sprayed and you can visibly see a sandpaper finish. Best advice is a little trial and error to see what works for you.
    7) Let flash dry for ~5 minutes before spraying next coat.
    8) Because of the rapid flashing of the solvent from the Duracoat, I had a separate spray bottle with lacquer thinner in it to spray through the air brush to clean it between coats.
    9) I ended of spraying about 5 coats.

What would I do or try different? Well I would buy the Duracoat Retarder to slow down the flashing of the solvents, which was causing the sandpaper look and feel. Of course I could wait until winter when we get 70 degF weather to spray, but who can wait that long.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yep the flatspot is where I got the puzzle pieces from. As to why would anyone build one of these things. Well, its kind of like asking the guy that climbs a mountain why on earth would they want to climb a mountain. Same reason, I like building stuff and I've done the 80% forged lowers and there just isn't much challenge in doing them. So I decided to see if I could make one of these welded lowers and try to push my abilities a bit, and my patience as well.

In the end the lower came out pretty well, but now that I've climbed the mountain. I'm not sure I would want to do it again. Just waaaaaaaaay to much work with all the grinding, but was still a fun challenge.

And I can respect that. Not many can say they welded up their own functional AR LR. In fact, I have never seen anyone before, here or on the AR15 forums. Very rare for sure.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Makes you really wish you had an endmill though, huh? :D

A desktop type lathe has always been on my want list.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I bought a cheap mini-lathe and later a mini-mill just to play with a few years ago. I have been completely amazed at how much I use both for one thing or another. They are cheap, but if you take some time to true them up and tweak a little surprisingly accurate. LOTS of uses. Check out good old Varmint Al's pages. He has a lot of shooting related stuff and does projects with his. http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

ddexd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I've done the same thing. I've bought a small lathe (7"X12" lathe) and small mill (Grizzly G0619). I've converted both to CNC and I've added a rotary 4th axis to my mill. I threaded the lower buffer extension lug on the CNC lathe before I welded it to the lower.

I've used the mill to CNC 3D contour an A2 style reinforced lower to the A1 style for my retro build. Having the CNC also makes it easy enough to also do the engraving. The CNC conversion is actually pretty easy, hardest part is learning how to use CAD and then the CAM side to get the G-Code to run the machine. Very steep learning curve on the CAD/CAM, which I'm still learning. I'm using Fusion 360.

Top Bottom