is a revolver a good choice for a first time gun owner?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    IMHO, the best first gun is one you will actually enjoy shooting and training with. If you buy a revolver and don't enjoy shooting it the chances are you wont. Good training trumps the gun itself. That being said, revolvers are great if that's what you enjoy.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What do you plan on doing with it? What are your uses for this gun? Have you shot a revolver before? What about a semi-auto?

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I'm assuming that you're a new shooter, with that caveat: I recommend to anyone that asks this question that they go to a range that rents guns, hopefully with someone that knows guns to help them, and shoot everything they've got in the counter. Start with a .22, work your way up. Shoot revolver and semi, at least 9mm / .38, then think on it. Do it again a week or two later. Then make a decision.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm assuming that you're a new shooter, with that caveat: I recommend to anyone that asks this question that they go to a range that rents guns, hopefully with someone that knows guns to help them, and shoot everything they've got in the counter. Start with a .22, work your way up. Shoot revolver and semi, at least 9mm / .38, then think on it. Do it again a week or two later. Then make a decision.

This.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    If you are going to be shooting on a regular basis, willing to maintain your gun and practice with it, then you certainly want to try different guns and learn about them to see what fits your needs and desires.

That said, if you are talking about someone who is unlikely to do those things, and whatever gun they may get will probably just remain in a drawer loaded, waiting for that day possibly way off in the future where it could be needed and never see the light of day otherwise...then for that person a revolver is probably best.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

I would stay away from small, light, and higher calibers for a first time shooter. This group of guns are snappy and harder to manage recoil. Some new shooters really get turned off. Yes rental. Consider a Ruger Single Six, Ruger Mark III, or something similar if you want some cheap fun. And by cheap I mean cheap ammunition. Most folks have a natural progression of larger to smaller frame guns as they become more experienced shooters. Good luck.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Adding to this, I'd recommend that you sign up for a gun class in your area first. Let someone teach you the basics and then you can make your own informed decision on what you like. We all have our opinions and surely you will have your own too.

Trith72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Shreveport
    My first pistol over 30 years ago was a .357 revolver. I remember it scared the **** out of me the first time I fired it with warm loads. I got used to it after a while and then recently got back into shooting as a sport and for self defense and I have until recently been shooting and carrying the usual suspects of the semi-auto world, Shield..XDS..LCP. I still went back to my old love, and my EDC now and for the future is a .357 revolver. I just love the feel of that gun, the simplicity of the revolver, and the power of the .357 load. Like the others here said, shoot them all, then find the one that just "feels right" in your hands and don't let anyone else bully you into going with the herd.

LApm9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I started with revolvers and gradually went over to autoloaders.

From a safety stand point, I would start with revolvers, but you will get the most immediate gratification from a GOOD .22 autoloader like a Ruger 22/45. They are cheap and will give you a good starting experience...just remember that the little fart is always ready to fire with any light pressure on the trigger.

I would avoid an inexpensive revolver because they have poor trigger pulls which could discourage you. On the plus side, they are easy to check to see if they are loaded, and after they fire, you ether have to cock them or give along hard trigger pull before they will fire again...good if you have a wandering trigger finger.

You could start with a .38 instead of a .22 revolver if you have access to a supply of wadcutter ammunition. I have treated some newbies to .38 wadcutters and they enjoyed shooting them. They liked the big holes too!

Last edited:

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Adding to this, I'd recommend that you sign up for a gun class in your area first. Let someone teach you the basics and then you can make your own informed decision on what you like. We all have our opinions and surely you will have your own too.

^You'll learn a lot and enjoy shooting more.

Lokin4AReason

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    behind a desk ....
    at the range, they have a selection of small arm(s) that you can like rent ( as mentioned in the thread already )

from there, you can see at what you feel comfortable with ( as in how its feels in your hand, the weight of it, etc .. )

than you can make the decision at what you want and what need from the type of small arm that you want, imo

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Great advise!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't think this guy will be logging back in lol. It's been almost a month.

Top Bottom