Question about firearm on WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I am waiting to hear back from LWF enforcement on this, on WMA'S it says you cannot carry a scoped handgun except during modern / primitive firearm deer season.

I carry a 22 mag pistol with a Burris fastfire 3 red dot during small game season in case I run up on a hog.

Would you consider that a scope?

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I'd call the La.Wildlife headquarters. Being as it is a 22 magnum rimfire pistol and only legal for small game or hogs for the small game season.

I tend to agree. I think the key issue here is not the scope. The key issue is that the pistol is rimfire not ceterfire.

The opinion that matters, in the end, is the opinion of the wildlife agent.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    It may be a scoped pistol but the caliber is legal for the season. Do you carry it concealed and if so do you have a permit ? I would agree that all this needs to be explained when you talk LADWF however it could still depend on the agent that stops you.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Received a call late yesterday from the original person I talked to before I called the other agents, he said he talked to multiple people in the agency and that the question came up at the season setting meeting earlier this year and the WMA program manager said that he did NOT consider a non magnified red dot a scope.

I was also told that if I come upon an agent where I am hunting to ask his opinion so I might avoid a ticket and the hassle of fighting it and to start a dialog with the department to get that rule changed.

Also no one I talked to knew the reasoning of the rule.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    ...I was also told that if I come upon an agent where I am hunting to ask his opinion so I might avoid a ticket and the hassle...

That's a noteworthy piece of advise. Ask before you enter the woods and let them know what you've previously been told.

captaincarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Sight versus scope. Kinda like gaming versus gambling

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom