Sheriff Gautreaux CLEO Signoff

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Has anyone here gotten a signoff yet from Sheriff Gautreaux? I dropped my Form 4 off on Monday with his secretary but haven't heard back about it yet. I was told during his campaign that he would sign Form 4s with no problem.

lw55566

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 27, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    What parish are you in.

I had mine with Harry Lee 8 months before I gave up and went LLC.

Its been great, as well as eliminating the need for photos or fingerprints

Michael

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm sure Sheriff Gautreaux is extremely busy with the transition into his office, hopefully he gets to your form soon though.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Get real? I know other Sheriff's who sign on the spot. LSP has already done their own background check, as will the ATF, and I have a valid CCW permit. If it routinely takes more then a week I'll set up a trust.

Zack3g

Full Auto is fun!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    Lafayette
    just use a LLC. all the benefits of the trust with less hassle, and the ability to let other people use your stuff.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I called the secretary today and she said the guy who handles the Form 4s for the office has been reinstated to his position so he should be getting to it soon.

*fingers crossed*

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just picked up my signed Form 4 today for the silencer from the Sheriff's Office. Was quite an ordeal and took about eight weeks but I understand I submitted it during some hectic times for the office.

Quick rundown of what I went through to buy this thing:

07/31/07 Paid cash for silencer
    11/16/07 Silencer arrives at dealer
    12/19/07 Dropped Form 4 off at Sheriff's Office
    01/10/08 Received call from Sheriff's office with questions about silencer
    01/17/08 Received approved State transfer paperwork
    02/11/08 Picked up signed Form 4 and mailed to BATFE
    02/20/08 BATFE Cashed my check.
    03/14/08 Went pending by ATF.
    03/20/08 Notified problem with fingerprint cards. Have to call examiner tomorrow.
    04/07/08 APPROVED!

Holy crap that took a long time.

Last edited:

Christerpar1313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2007
    Hey aroundlsu...what dealer did you use and would you use them again?

-Chris-

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey aroundlsu...what dealer did you use and would you use them again?

-Chris-

Will at Red Stick Firearms helped me. Will always replies to my emails same day (usually within the hour). He placed the order with Gemtech same day I paid for it. He also didn't charge me a dime for the paperwork and let me shoot the can on his range after it came in. Unfortunately, it took over a month to get a Form 4 prepared for me and only after I asked for it twice. It took another call to get him to submit the Louisiana transfer paperwork.

Would I use him again? Well, he moved locations and doesn't have a range any longer so that really sucks. Kevin at Precision Firearms is also a Class 3 dealer and has a range you can use your toys at while you wait for the paperwork but he charges A LOT for the transfer.

If I was buying a $20,000 transferable machine gun I would use Kevin. For a silencer or any other inexpensive NFA item, I would use Will.

Quick suggestion: Find a silencer on a Form 3 IN STOCK READY TO GO or be prepared to wait months and months just to get it in stock. Don't believe the manufacturer when they say it will only be a few weeks.

My biggest gripe isn't with the dealer. It's with Gemtech. I'll never buy another product from them again. I called them every Friday for 3 months to check on the status and they lied to me every single time. It was always a different story they seemed to be making up on the spot. Other people have had similar experiences with Gemtech.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Would I use him again? Well, he moved locations and doesn't have a range any longer so that really sucks. Kevin at Precision Firearms is also a Class 3 dealer and has a range you can use your toys at while you wait for the paperwork but he charges A LOT for the transfer.

How much is A LOT? I NEED to get off my arse and get this rolling, but Dont really know where to start. I have thought about the trust/llc, but have some questions regarding each, do you think he would be able to answer them?
    also, congrats on the new toy:D

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I think he says he charges $250 to handle the transfer which is worse than date rape (most other dealers charge $50) but please call and ask him yourself because I might have misunderstood him.

Kevin does know a lot about trusts. You can ask him directly. He's very easy to talk to. If you want to order one JUST DO IT! That's what I finally had to do after putting it off for 9 years. After you drop the cash it's too late to turn back.

I called Will at Red Jacket this afternoon, my approved paperwork wasn't in the mail today. Hopefully tomorrow. This part is the worst waiting so far. I actually had a dream about the damn silencer last night. lol

As soon as I get this done I can move on to my next project: A machine gun. Uzi or Mac-11? :)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I think he says he charges $250 to handle the transfer which is worse than date rape (most other dealers charge $50) but please call and ask him yourself because I might have misunderstood him.

Kevin does know a lot about trusts. You can ask him directly. He's very easy to talk to. If you want to order one JUST DO IT! That's what I finally had to do after putting it off for 9 years. After you drop the cash it's too late to turn back.

I called Will at Red Jacket this afternoon, my approved paperwork wasn't in the mail today. Hopefully tomorrow. This part is the worst waiting so far. I actually had a dream about the damn silencer last night. lol

As soon as I get this done I can move on to my next project: A machine gun. Uzi or Mac-11? :)

WoW, I might have to call him or go by and speak to him directly, as thats kinda high. I have been eyeballing RR M16's for a while now, and I am now at a point in my career that I can do it, just need to find out about the Signoff/trust/llc. Have you ever dealt with the Class III guy in Brusly, extreme weapons, I think?
    IIRC doesnt a LLC require you to file taxes at the end of the year? I dont have a personal business, so I dont want the hassle of dealing with that.
    Does the CLEO that signs have to be the parish you reside in (I would think so)? Im an Ascension resident, but do know the Sheriff of WBRP's son-in-law:D

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, CLEO must be in the Parish you reside but there is a long list of people who can sign, not just the Sheriff. I think Extreme Weapons is Kevin at Precision. :) Precision doesn't actually have a C3 license, but Kevin does and he works there so that's the place to call to set it up.

If you have an LLC setup for your guns and you make zero income you don't have to file taxes. However, you do have to send in the $35 or so every year to the city to keep the LLC. That, in my opinion, makes it not worth the hassle.

The trust issue in tricky in Louisiana. Louisiana only recognizes certain types of trusts. You need a lawyer who understands what you are doing for that. If you find one let me know. Quicken Willmaker will not work.

If you can get the sign off then just do that.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Hmm, a quick google search tells me that the contact for Xtreme weapons is Kevin R., guess its the same guy like you say.

So after forming an LLC you have to pay yearly to keep it "Licensed"? I am going to have to give my CPA/Attorney a call next week, Im sure he is kinda busy this week with taxes and all.

Anyone know if Jeff Wiley will sign off?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My course of action would be

1. Locate a transferable M16 that you want on a Form 3 or Form 4.
    2. Pay for it.
    3. Tell Kevin you have one inbound to him. He'll take care of the rest.
    4. Wait for it to get to Kevin.

While waiting you can call the Sheriff and ask if he'll sign. If not, set up the trust. If you can't set up a trust for some reason then set up an LLC.

My point is, don't worry about the LLC/Trust/Sign off right now. Just find an M16 and buy it and get it to Kevin. To get that far doesn't even require an ID.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    That is what Kevin told me, set up an appointment with him, and it shouldnt be a problem. Let me know how it goes.:D

Top Bottom