Gap between upper & lower

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Just finished my first build and noticed a gap between my upper and lower. It's big enough to see light between the two. Could probably fit a piece of paper between them, maybe something bigger. They are both Anderson upper and lower.

Is this normal?

b19666dc2f228f1873ecb250b301a5e7.jpg

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nothing to worry about IMO. It's perfectly normal in my experience for there to be minimal but noticeable gap. The majority of your mass mfg'd AR's out there are the same way. There's a "tolerance range" that parts must meet. As long as the upper receiver and lower are within that range, they are considered good to go. Yours is just on the looser side of that range. As long as it functions correctly, I wouldn't worry about it.... Just my opinion...

Last edited:

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. There is little "ar wiggle" in it. The only thing that concerned me was that I could see through it. Haven't had a chance to fire it just yet but everything else functions correctly so far.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Perfectly fine. In fact, mil-spec actually SHOULD have a gap and some wobble. It's the commercial market that has created the belief that the upper/lower fit should be tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There are rubber plugs that fit to the bottom rear inside the lower that will keep things tight if it bothers you. Won't close the gap, but it provides resistance between the upper and lower when you close them together and push in the rear pin. Ergo makes them as well as other brands

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    There are rubber plugs that fit to the bottom rear inside the lower that will keep things tight if it bothers you. Won't close the gap, but it provides resistance between the upper and lower when you close them together and push in the rear pin. Ergo makes them as well as other brands

These are a bad idea. They solve a problem that doesn't exist, and I've personally seen them come apart inside the lower and jam up the trigger group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom