Gun Show Customer License Plates Come Under Scrutiny

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Federal agents enlisted local police to scan cars’ plates at shows’ parking lots

Federal agents have persuaded police officers to scan license plates to gather information about gun-show customers, government emails show, raising questions about how officials monitor constitutionally protected activity.

Emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show agents with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency crafted a plan in 2010 to use license-plate readers—devices that record the plate numbers of all passing cars—at gun shows in Southern California, including one in Del Mar, not far from the Mexican border.

Agents then compared that information to cars that crossed the border, hoping to find gun smugglers, according to the documents and interviews with law-enforcement officials with knowledge of the operation.
    Earlier Coverage

The investigative tactic concerns privacy and guns-rights advocates, who call it an invasion of privacy. The law-enforcement officials say it is an important and legal tool for pursuing dangerous, hard-to-track illegal activity.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-show-customers-license-plates-come-under-scrutiny-1475451302

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    This isn't new tech, there are several patrol cars equipped.. I think its a clever way to catch bad guys myself.. We all know they may get ONE guy at a show and make an example of the loophole. and thus, make them harder to host..
    Now, if it was used for violent criminals more, and if courts were tougher.. I think cops need every angle to know what they are facing when pulling over a car..

xx v0odo0 xx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    I open-carry on my bicycle to go to the gun show specifically to avoid such blatant invasion of my privacy.

I don't know if this is a joke or not, but that was what I was about to comment. How are they to turn down your walk-in customer? Why not just require state ID and scan like all the local bars do? Seems like a waste of time to have to have cops catalog the parking lot.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I think the scanners they are talking about can read plates at a rate of 50 per second or something like that and if they get a hit it sounds off. They can actually go through a crowded parking lot at 100 mph and scan every plate for stolen car or for someone they are looking for.
    I don't know if this is a joke or not, but that was what I was about to comment. How are they to turn down your walk-in customer? Why not just require state ID and scan like all the local bars do? Seems like a waste of time to have to have cops catalog the parking lot.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    If they were to drive through majority black or Latino neighborhoods in Cali to collect license plate data to then compare to license plate data collected at the border and said they were looking for drug smugglers, the uproar would be unprecedented, but since it's just whacko, redneck gun owners it's all in a day's work for a good G-man.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If they were to drive through majority black or Latino neighborhoods in Cali to collect license plate data to then compare to license plate data collected at the border and said they were looking for drug smugglers, the uproar would be unprecedented, but since it's just whacko, redneck gun owners it's all in a day's work for a good G-man.

I object to this sort of overreach across the board. No matter if it's Kkk members or ms13 members who also happen to be American citizens. This tech is being used to attack out of state travelers who happen to be CHP holders passing through wacko communist regimes. I know This is not always the most popular stance, but folks if you have never seen it go out to a cattle ranch and watch the cowboys and their curr dogs funnel a mass heard into a round pen and then down into a chewt to be inoculated or whatever. Folks we are being herded, nudged, encouraged to do as we are told without challenging a thing.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I object to this sort of overreach across the board. No matter if it's Kkk members or ms13 members who also happen to be American citizens. This tech is being used to attack out of state travelers who happen to be CHP holders passing through wacko communist regimes. I know This is not always the most popular stance, but folks if you have never seen it go out to a cattle ranch and watch the cowboys and their curr dogs funnel a mass heard into a round pen and then down into a chewt to be inoculated or whatever. Folks we are being herded, nudged, encouraged to do as we are told without challenging a thing.

What are you talking about? Do you have any knowledge on this subject/equipment/procedures, or is this just the usual talking out the a$s stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

Making it up, no. Blowing it way the **** out of proportion to suit your agenda, of course.

You found 2 articles about one case from one lefty yankee ******** state. That hardly constitutes an epidemic or conspiracy, contrary to the beliefs of some. Do a little more research on the use of ALPR systems by LE and their constitutionality. It's legal all day long with ample case law to support it. If you don't like it make you a paper BS plate like every other self respecting Sovereign.

What if I told you that many LE agencies allowed, as part of policy supported by law, the running of vehicle license plates as part of establishing reasonable suspicion or probable cause for a traffic stop?

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Making it up, no. Blowing it way the **** out of proportion to suit your agenda, of course.

You found 2 articles about one case from one lefty yankee ******** state. That hardly constitutes an epidemic or conspiracy, contrary to the beliefs of some. Do a little more research on the use of ALPR systems by LE and their constitutionality. It's legal all day long with ample case law to support it. If you don't like it make you a paper BS plate like every other self respecting Sovereign.

What if I told you that many LE agencies allowed, as part of policy supported by law, the running of vehicle license plates as part of establishing reasonable suspicion or probable cause for a traffic stop?

Now you did it. His head is gonna explode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom