Powder, Primers, Etc. Locally

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    OK, I admit I am new to reloading. New, as in, using a "Lee Loader Classic" doing one at a time. I am not a bulk loader. That said, the unit was $27 on Amazon so it's not a huge investment - more like something to do, save some $$$ and be a hobby. But looking at 'splosive stuff online and it carries a $20-30 HazMat surcharge. I don't wanna pay $40 for $20 of gunpowder! So where is a good place(s) to obtain these items locally? I live in Destrehan so Kenner, Metairie, New Orleans (if I have to...) would work. I guess any place within $20 of gas/travel would be good.

What about Cabela's? Or Academy Sports? I've never looked before so never noticed if they carried reloading supplies. The loader isn't here, yet. Should be in 1-2 days and then a gun show at Ponchartrain Center October 22-23 I thought I'd check. Anybody that has a local(ish) source for this stuff would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    There maybe something closer, but my vote goes to Louisiana Gun. in Baton Rouge. Give them a call at 225-389-6077 (sponser here) and let them know what you need. They got water in the recent flood, and recently opened up again!

I have driven over there from East Texas (180 miles) a couple of times for supplies. Found good people, good prices and enjoyed the trip. Combine that visit with one to Doe's Eat Place on Government St and you won't be sorry (unless you skip the bread pudding)!!

Cabela's is better then Academy with reloading supplies but is still hit or miss in my experiences.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Academy has primers and a few dies and bullets, but no powder I've seen. Cabelas's stock varies but I've seen decent selections at times. If you're willing to go to Cabelas's you may as well go 20 more minutes to see the crew at LA Reloading!

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Academy keeps their powder behind the gun display, you have to ask to see what they have. Last time I looked, they didn't have much, just a few pounds of different stuff. The gun stores will probably have a better selections, though what they have will be random stuff as well. The way it was explained to me by my local gun store--Optimum Outfitters in Mandeville--they are told by the distributor what they can receive. It's a shipment of a pallet of various powders that the distributor wants to send them, and it's take it or leave it on the whole collection, so the store has no say on what particular powders they receive. So you can go and look to see what they have, and you might be able to find something you can use. But if you are looking for a specific powder, like say a popular powder like Bullseye, you'll either have to hunt around at all the various locations that might have it or just go ahead and order it online (if you can find it, for instance Bullseye was one that was not available anywhere until recently it seemed to become available again).

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I would agree with Sig220. La. Gun in Baton Rouge has a good selection of powder and the staff there is not only very knowledgeable but also friendly. I'm not sure about what type of experience the staff at the big box stores have; but as I stated the staff at La. Gun have knowledge through experience.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Thanks to all who responded. Who knew? Jefferson Gun has powder? Wow, I'd never have guessed that. I haven't been there in a while but use the Shooter's Club on Hickory. I kinda thought Cabela's would carry supplies, not quite so sure that Academy did. Good to know. I guess things aren't as bleak as I thought. LA Gun sounds good, too. Baton Rouge ain't that big of a trip and my brother lives in Walker (Livingston Parish). When he's got his home fixed from the flooding maybe I'll see if he wants to make a trip.

Again, thanks for all the tips. I thought it might be more difficult to find hazardous materials and Jefferson Gun really surprises me! I'd never have guessed them.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I would def recommend you go and get to know the folks at La Gun and Reloading in BR. Always willing to help out the new guy, and you should inquire about their Saturday classes, that I think they are still doing and if I remember correctly used to be free to attend.
    Hard to find better folks to do business with, imo.

Last edited:

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I would def recommend you go and get to know the folks at La Gun and Reloading in BR. Always willing to help out the new guy, and you should inquire about their Saturday classes, that I think they are still doing and if I remember correctly used to be free to attend.
    Hard to find better folks to do business with, imo.

Thanks for that info. When I say "newbie" I haven't loaded my first cartridge yet! THAT'S new! I've been reading and gathering supplies so a class could be something to think about. Thanks again.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    La Gun and Reloading as well. But in Slidell, Sportsman Warehouse. Their powder and primer prices are VERY hard to beat and a large selection.

stogie5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Slidell,LA
    in Slidell, Sportsman Warehouse. Their powder and primer prices are VERY hard to beat and a large selection.

They were better before they stopped selling primers in 1000ct boxes, and did what everyone else does and sell them 100 at a time, forcing you to pay more overall.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    They were better before they stopped selling primers in 1000ct boxes, and did what everyone else does and sell them 100 at a time, forcing you to pay more overall.
    Everything I've bought has been the same price per 1000, individual packs or large box.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Hebert Guns had a good supply of powder last month.
    17400 Airline Hwy. , Prairieville , La. (225) 673-1850 . Might call and see if they have what you need.
    They had lots of primers, I scored 2000 Federal small pistol....on sale !
    Gary

Last edited:

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    La Gun and Reloading as well. But in Slidell, Sportsman Warehouse. Their powder and primer prices are VERY hard to beat and a large selection.

I stopped in at Sportmans Warehouse today. Happened to see the sign driving down gause the other day, didnt even know it was there. Anyways their reloading section is massive in relation to other big stores like academy etc. Seemed they would be a one stop shop for everything you would need to reload.

Top Bottom