Fallkniven S1 &/or A1 Knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Would anyone in the BTR Metro
    Area have a Fallkniven A1 or S1?

I ask because I'm considering purchasing one of the two but I'm weighing the First Edge 5050.

I would like to hold the Fallkniven as the grip seems small and since I've previously injured my left hand the ergonomics of the handle is a serious consideration.

Perhaps there is a local store that carries them somewhere in SE, LA??

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    I'm in the same boat. I want to get the a1 but I would at least like to hold one first if I'm spending that much. I've went to several fine cutlery shops but no one carries the a1

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For the price, there are far better choices than the Fallkniven A1 and the First Edge 5050.

$200 for VG10 is a ridiculous, and $350 for Elmax is laughable.

I've had Custom Shop INFI blades from Busse for those prices. My last custom was $150 and made from A2, which is still high in price, but it was more of a want than a need.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

For the price, there are far better choices than the Fallkniven A1 and the First Edge 5050.

$200 for VG10 is a ridiculous, and $350 for Elmax is laughable.

I've had Custom Shop INFI blades from Busse for those prices. My last custom was $150 and made from A2, which is still high in price, but it was more of a want than a need.

Who makes a nice 5" Elmax or laminated VG-10 blade (preferably with G-10 or Micarta handle)?

I'm not aware of any.

Bark River makes an Elmax Gunny and its convex grind, too, but their handle is too small for me.

The First Edge is a pry bar with a scary sharp edge and I like that.

Massdrop had them for $182 but I missed. If they ever bring them back at that price I'll grab two.

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm in the same boat. I want to get the a1 but I would at least like to hold one first if I'm spending that much. I've went to several fine cutlery shops but no one carries the a1

I've seen them for $190 at knife center and someplace else which I cannot recollect. One has a 30 day return. All I need is to see how it feels. I love the convex grind and its laminated construction makes it very tough in bending (which admittedly is abusive). It's also easy to sharpen in the field.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Who makes a nice 5" Elmax or laminated VG-10 blade (preferably with G-10 or Micarta handle)?

I'm not aware of any.

Bark River makes an Elmax Gunny and its convex grind, too, but their handle is too small for me.

The First Edge is a pry bar with a scary sharp edge and I like that.

Massdrop had them for $182 but I missed. If they ever bring them back at that price I'll grab two.

I'm curious why you only want VG-10 or Elmax. They are two relatively low grade stainless steels. In all honesty, if you want some sort of death and destruction prybar made from stainless, you need to be looking at CPM-3V. Elmax is difficult enough to heat treat correctly, to think of it as a prybar is unwise. No knife should be used as a prybar. Knives are cutting tools, prybars are for prying.

People mainly buy knives for two reasons:
    1) It's a good quality cutting tool.
    2) It looks cool to them.

If you want options for a 5" durable cutting tool, I can help you, but limiting the knife specifically to VG-10 or Elmax will cut your choices by a huge margin. Given that you picked a mall ninja (no offense) unproven knife made of Elmax and a proven (yet outdated) knife made of VG-10, I'd say that you picked both because they looked cool to you. I could be wrong, but don't be so opposed to spending your money on something with much more bang for your buck.

Point being, you're okay with spending $200 on a production fixed blade, but I can tell you haven't even looked at all your options.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks for your assistance. I have a metallurgy background and I can assess alloys and I know that CPM 3V does not perform as well as ELMAX which is not a low grade stainless steel, nor is it inexpensive. Yes, heat treating is difficult but so is a lot of engineering that we do without much of an effort. I can read the TT Diagrams, I can comprehend metallography - I've done so years ago while in college.

Yes, I've cut my options pretty severely.

And I'm A OK with that. If you're looking for corrosion resistance, toughness and edge retention at high hardness levels combined with reasonable sharpenability it's the alloy of the moment. So much so that the US Navy selected a blade of that alloy.

As far as lamination is concerned it DOES make a huge difference. Of course heat treat ALWAYS plays no small role but compare a non-laminated VG-10 blade of the same Rockwell hardness as the core of the Fallkniven A1 and same overall blade cross sectional geometry and test them. You can test them and report your findings here - I already know the results. The laminated blade will perform much better in bending. This is elementary.

CPM 3V is a great alloy but I think we are considering markedly different things; I'm not seeking a just a "razor blade".

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom