Thieves -- Aargh!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I had to run some errands this morning: quick breakfast stop for coffee and a biscuit, Home Depot for some project materials, Walmart for some baking stuff for wife, then home. A few minutes after I got home I walked behind my truck and noticed the hitch ball mount and pin were gone! I used my utility trailer yesterday to pickup my lawn tractor from the repair shop. Usually I will pull the ball mount out of the receiver as soon as I drop the trailer, for some reason just neglected to do so this time. I'm almost sure the ball was there when I came out of Home Depot, so probably some Walmart-shopper ripped me off!

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    That just sucks! Some low life just couldn't resist. Should have his hands smashed. Get a pin with a lock on it, what I have.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Always weld the ball to the hitch and use a lock pin.

I've had two stolen in the past. I don't even understand why people steal them, other than it's easy to steal and a pawn shop might give you $20.

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    I had it happen once, been using a lock pin ever since.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Always weld the ball to the hitch and use a lock pin.

I've had two stolen in the past. I don't even understand why people steal them, other than it's easy to steal and a pawn shop might give you $20.

If you haul anything heavy I wouldn't suggest this. Grade 8 fasteners are weakened dramatically by welding. Green loctite may do better. If you just got to run the overgrown hot glue gun I would suggest cold joints on bottom of the nut in the threads of the shank.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Last year someone stole just the ball from out hitch and put their old crappy one in its place. It's unbelievable someone would waste so much time doing this. Stupid runs deep in this state.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you haul anything heavy I wouldn't suggest this. Grade 8 fasteners are weakened dramatically by welding. Green loctite may do better. If you just got to run the overgrown hot glue gun I would suggest cold joints on bottom of the nut in the threads of the shank.

Tack welding the ball to the hitch will not ruin the integrity of the steel.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Tack welding the ball to the hitch will not ruin the integrity of the steel.

If the tack isn't hot enough to ruin the ball it wasn't hot enough. But if you do like I suggested and lay a couple cold joints in the thread it doesn't need to get that hot because all all you are trying to do is create an obstruction in the lands of the threads. Now will it ruin the ball for pulling a lawnmower trailer no but if you pull much weight and you welded the flang of the ball to the shank you are rolling the dice. It takes a pretty decent size machine to weld that thick of metal in the first place. Most hobbist don't have the equipment.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If the tack isn't hot enough to ruin the ball it wasn't hot enough. But if you do like I suggested and lay a couple cold joints in the thread it doesn't need to get that hot because all all you are trying to do is create an obstruction in the lands of the threads. Now will it ruin the ball for pulling a lawnmower trailer no but if you pull much weight and you welded the flang of the ball to the shank you are rolling the dice. If takes a pretty decent size machine to weld that thick of metal in the first place. Most hobbist don't have the equipment.

What is your experience welding? What is your experience with structural steel?

A tack weld on two sides of the nut and two sides of the ball are sufficient enough to keep a would-be thief from stealing the ball in a parking lot. Unless you are Luke Cage, you are not breaking a tack weld with your hand.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If the tack isn't hot enough to ruin the ball it wasn't hot enough. But if you do like I suggested and lay a couple cold joints in the thread it doesn't need to get that hot because all all you are trying to do is create an obstruction in the lands of the threads. Now will it ruin the ball for pulling a lawnmower trailer no but if you pull much weight and you welded the flang of the ball to the shank you are rolling the dice. If takes a pretty decent size machine to weld that thick of metal in the first place. Most hobbist don't have the equipment.

LOL You have no clue.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    LOL You have no clue.

I trust my life to my welds they have been proven time and time again. I can however give you an example where I shattered a lugnut that I welded another lugnut to it. But hell what do I know I only been fabricating my own parts for my rock crawler for years. Fabricated a custom flatbed trailer. And been haulin 8-10k for years.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I trust my life to my welds they have been proven time and time again. I can however give you an example where I shattered a lugnut that I welded another lugnut to it. But hell what do I know I only been fabricating my own parts for my rock crawler for years. Fabricated a custom flatbed trailer. And been haulin 8-10k for years.

Then you should know that tack welding the nut to the hitch will not penetrate through to the threads, which would compromise the strength of the nut. Similarly, tack welding the ball to the hitch will also not penetrate through to the shank.

Unless you are the god of welding and can tack a full pen weld, I think you are over-complicating things and getting out of your depth.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

Welding on personal stuff does not make you a welder. Bring a few of those projects to a lab for inspection and get a reality check.

Top Bottom