Question for a gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    I have a Rem. 700 chambered in 7MM Mag. I would like to have it re-chambered to 7MM STW. Will this require more than just recutting the chamber to 7MM STW? Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Kent

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    PECEMKR,

Thanks you so much for the link. This is exactly what I wanted to here. Now I just need to find a gunsmith that can do this for me.

Thanks again,
    Kent

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    PECEMKR,

Thanks you so much for the link. This is exactly what I wanted to here. Now I just need to find a gunsmith that can do this for me.

Thanks again,
    Kent

Most any experienced rifle smith can recut and set back your existing barrel, but why? The difference in performance between those two cartridges isn't really enough to justify the cost unless you're going to put a new match barrel on. If you're going to spend the money on the labor might as well put a barrel on that's worlds better in quality.

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    Ritten,

I had a 7MM STW and loved it but passed it on to my son and now I want another one. If I knew where I could get a complete 700 action I would do what you suggest and just put a barrel on it. Just a convenience thing re-chambering an existing rifle.

Kent

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I hit up pawn shops sometimes looking for rem 700s to play with. They usually have more long actions than short but you can get either complete used 700 or a new long action for under 400$ Any good LGS should be able to order a new 700 action from their distributors if you didn't want to spend the bucks on a stiller.

kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    TheBigRService

Went to my usual LGS hangout this morning and did just that. Picking up a used unfired 700 SPS 7Mag with 1413 scope rail installed for 400 and change. Ordered a Graybo stock for it. Just need to get it re-chambered now. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Kent

Top Bottom