Cheaper alternative to ammo cans?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmvu

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    New Orleans, LA.
    So im looking for alternatives to ammo cans that cost less. I have a bunch of mtm plastic ammo cans which work fine. Im thinking about the 5 gallon buckets and buying the leak proof lids which have the gasket. Should be about 6 bucks total and those should hold a lot of ammo as well. Any other alternatives?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So im looking for alternatives to ammo cans that cost less. I have a bunch of mtm plastic ammo cans which work fine. Im thinking about the 5 gallon buckets and buying the leak proof lids which have the gasket. Should be about 6 bucks total and those should hold a lot of ammo as well. Any other alternatives?
    Every try a vacuum sealer. It's not just for freash steaks any more.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Problem with plastic bins are when it's full, it cannot support the weight or if I can, can also break on a drop. So if it's stationary and you only plan to pull ammo out when you need it and not the whole container, then ok. But for me, I like to organize my ammo, and keeping it in labeled cans let me move the cans around so I can get to what I need without worrying about it breaking

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    All plastic ammo cans i had failed 100 percent in katrina (over 10)

all metal ammo cans 100 percent survived with contents dry , 8 to 13 feet of water ...

Only use usgi ammo cans period...

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    ^This! I learned my lesson on the plastic cans. Also, be careful about buckets. If there is running water or any chance that they can be tipped, they will roll to parts unknown. A steel can stays put in any orientation.

can man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    jackson, la
    Hi. If you are handy with a hammer, I have about 15 or 20 of the biggest ammo cans they make I will sell for $20 each. NU 505/E is the stamp on them. I am ammo can man and have been selling cans on Hwy 61 and zachery road for about 8 years. I am there now and will be here Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I will be gone the month of November but back December. Call or text 225-721-1813. Thanks

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Hi. If you are handy with a hammer, I have about 15 or 20 of the biggest ammo cans they make I will sell for $20 each. NU 505/E is the stamp on them. I am ammo can man and have been selling cans on Hwy 61 and zachery road

And I will attest; this^ dude has some good cans!

But what about selling them closer to Baton Rouge? Seems like you would get more business! I need some more, but don't go that way anymore. :hs:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Sorry to hear of your health problem can man. My friends and I have stopped and bought cans from you many times over the years on the way to tunica la .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would love me some can man cans but can't justify diving an hour and a half to get them

This may sound whacky, but if the old boy was willing; maybe we could throw him a dollar per can, and he can let us know where we can make a giant group buy. I would take at least ten.

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    This may sound whacky, but if the old boy was willing; maybe we could throw him a dollar per can, and he can let us know where we can make a giant group buy. I would take at least ten.

Or discount each can a buck or two for a minimum number of cans. Say 20 cans for $380, 30 cans for $540, etc. That would at least pay for the gas.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Or discount each can a buck or two for a minimum number of cans. Say 20 cans for $380, 30 cans for $540, etc. That would at least pay for the gas.

Hell man, give me $2 a can; buy at least 20, and I will bring them to you in Metairie on one of my trucks.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Hell man, give me $2 a can; buy at least 20, and I will bring them to you in Metairie on one of my trucks.

The only problem with that is that even with exorbitant shipping costs I could buy them shipped for less than that. I may whip up that way when I go to Jackson in December. I need to see the country anyway.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    A good friend of mine was parking at a local restaurant and he noticed an employee stacking a bunch of 5 gallon red pickle buckets so he asked if they would sell him some. Well he bought 10 for $15 bucks. They have nice rubber gasket seals. I figure if they are good enough for food they must be good enough for ammo. I have a few and they work fine. I don't have ammo in them but o do use them for other things I want to keep out of the elements. Just a thought.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Hi. If you are handy with a hammer, I have about 15 or 20 of the biggest ammo cans they make I will sell for $20 each. NU 505/E is the stamp on them. I am ammo can man and have been selling cans on Hwy 61 and zachery road for about 8 years. I am there now and will be here Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I will be gone the month of November but back December. Call or text 225-721-1813. Thanks

What other sizes/prices do you have? I may need to pick up some this weekend.

Top Bottom