America Lost Another Hero

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Quite an aviation legend for sure. Imagine escaping a POW camp, stealing a German fighter, then having to evade being shot down by the Allies.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    How did he pour that tea while executing the roll? Centrifugal force perhaps? The fluid in the glass or pitcher doesn't appear to budge.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    How did he pour that tea while executing the roll? Centrifugal force perhaps? The fluid in the glass or pitcher doesn't appear to budge.

If performed smoothly, a roll can keep relatively 1 G downward force through the whole maneuver. If you were blindfolded, you would never know you went upside-down, and would probably perceive the whole thing as a slight bump. Think of John Kennedy continuing in a death spiral into the ocean while supposedly arguing with his wife, same concept.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Thanks for starting this thread Expert. I seen this yesterday as well. I watched Bob fly his Yellow P-51 & Aero Commander at an Air Show in Hammond in the early 80s. That was a Great little show. I then went to a Shelby meet and heard a pilot talking about Carrol Shelby in his younger days. I never put it together till years later that was the same Bob Hoover.
    I watched the "pouring Tea" on TV about 30 yrs ago. He said the hardest part was pouring it backhanded so they could see in on camera & not the back of his arm.
    I'll miss his flying & his great stories.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Saw Bob fly his P51 and Aero Commander at Oshkosh many times from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s.

The one maneuver he did with the Aero Commander that always freaked me out was he would shut down and feather one engine. In 99.9% of cases you would now be in an emergency situation. Not Bob. He simply would roll the aircraft around the operating engine.

He was from an era of pilots who truly earned the name 'pilot'. Not like todays drivers who are nothing more than systems managers who are along for the ride until some light comes on in the central warning panel.

Sir, you have gone west with honor. Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom