New Benelli Nova jamming!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I just bought a Benelli Nova 12 ga pump from Academy Friday for my sons 18th birthday present! The gun feels great and looks well made and have always heard these are quality guns. So today after church we head out to a friends house to try it out, I had some inexpensive target loads to start out with, 2 3/4 #7 shot. 1st the rounds of shooting it it ran great, 9 rds total, on the next round of shells it jammed after the 2nd rd was ejected and would load the 3rd, shell is loose and looks like the action is jamming. I took the barrel loose and dropped the shell out, action still jammed both fore and aft! I tried different ammo as well as lots of lube all thru the gun, still jams! I found a YouTube video of a Tactical version doing the same thing, but guy tried some 3 inch high brass loads which function fine although recoil was rough! I disassembled the gun once I got home with it jammed but couldn't find a cause for this! Anyone else experience this or have any ideas on what's happening? I know it's got a 5 year warranty but really hate to have to send it off with squirrel season coming up!

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you just bought it take it back and ask them to swap it out with another. If you have to keep explain how it is jamming? Does the spent shell eject? Does the new shell feed from the magazine? Does the new shell fail to rise? Could you be short stroking it; meaning failing to pump the gun all the way to the rear?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Academy has a no return policy or I would first thing tmw morning! We tried 2 different types of ammo and 2 different shooters slapping it pretty hard! It fires/ejects first shell or 2 then han up on 3rd rd, it picks up rd but can't load it into chamber, shell is actually loose in receiver and not the issue as far as I can tell! Go ogling this it seems it's common for the novas to do this! No real answer on what fixes it though.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Hope you get resolution but academy was your first mistake. Some academy's are now holding your license if you want to hold a gun. Just in case you decide to make a run for it with their gun. Of course with the trigger lock on it also.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hope you get resolution but academy was your first mistake. Some academy's are now holding your license if you want to hold a gun. Just in case you decide to make a run for it with their gun. Of course with the trigger lock on it also.

That wasn't the case here, just took 1 1/2 hours!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I've never had an Academy do something like that. I don't think that is their policy either. I've also never had them hand anything to me with a trigger lock. Believe it or not, every now and then I find firearms priced "incorrectly" at Academy and snag them. I've never had an issue with Academy other than rednecks flagging everyone with the Tactical Mossberg they are drooling over.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Just FYI yesterday it happened to me and others I watched with my own eyes at the new academy in New Caney Texas. Manager told me it wasn't corporate policy but some stores are doing it. I think it will just be a matter of time till it is happening in more and more stores. Look up the phone number of the store and call and ask for yourself. It's a newly opened store right off I-59 in New Caney just north of Kingwood Tx. And all of their weapons have trigger locks. Just like the one offf of airport road in Slidell that refused to take one off when I wanted to feel the trigger of an ISCC when the ammo shortage hit in 2012.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just FYI yesterday it happened to me and others I watched with my own eyes at the new academy in New Caney Texas. Manager told me it wasn't corporate policy but some stores are doing it. I think it will just be a matter of time till it is happening in more and more stores. Look up the phone number of the store and call and ask for yourself. It's a newly opened store right off I-59 in New Caney just north of Kingwood Tx. And all of their weapons have trigger locks. Just like the one offf of airport road in Slidell that refused to take one off when I wanted to feel the trigger of an ISCC when the ammo shortage hit in 2012.

I don't travel to New Caney, Texas, so I really don't care what their store does. For the record, I never said it didn't happen, I said that it never happened to me, and that I don't believe it is their policy. If you're located in Slidell, what were you doing looking at firearms in Texas? Academy stores do not do FFL transfers.

IIRC, all of the display guns have trigger locks. I never ask to see a display gun.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The phone number to the New Caney academy is 281-577-2300. Please confirm so I'm not seen as an academy basher making false claims, but after yesterday I have a different opinion of the place. Thx

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The phone number to the New Caney academy is 281-577-2300. Please confirm so I'm not seen as an academy basher making false claims, but after yesterday I have a different opinion of the place. Thx

Did you even read anything that I posted? :doh:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Yes you are worried about my travel habits. Just passing along what happened to me at an academy that could wind up being police across the board. Big box stores when it comes to guns can be crazy with policy. Not looking to start a firestorm. I did not say all stores did it. I know they don't. Maybe being a new store it's being used as a test site? The gun I wanted to see was a DD V11. They actually had a great selection of guns but didn't want to let them hold my ID while looking. I'm wondering if it's happening in any other states or locations? That's all.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Academy has a no return policy, but the store in Lafayette will ship back to the manufacturer for you. It took exactly two weeks from the day I dropped it off until the day I picked it up. Pretty good for a S&W that traveled to Maine and back.

It did not cost me anything.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I did, they e-mailed me a shipping label! Turn around time is about 7 days they say so it's off to the mother ship tmw!

The correct move^! When you pay the price for a quality shotgun, jamming is not part of the program. Let us know if they just ship you a totally different gun. Based on the facts of your test trials, that wouldn't surprise me.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    I've never had a problem with my super black eagle or the nova's i have. My black eagle is from 2004-2006 time frame and my brother bought one in 2013. Same price points but noticeable drop in quality. Not what benelli once was i'm sad to say.

sphill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Leesville, LA
    Benelli has a 10yr warranty, it isn't going to cost you anything. You do have me concerned though because I just bought 2 Novas. I bought the tactical and a 20ga for hunting. I haven't shot either one yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I just got it back today, will try to check it out this weekend! Head gunsmith inspected it. They ran 15 rds thru of all sizes thru it with no malfunction so they sent it back! We shall see!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom