Regulators Drive Legal Marijuana Underground

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Interesting read

https://mises.org/blog/government-regulators-drive-legal-marijuana-underground

snippet...

ollowing voter referenda in which the voters opted to legalize recreational use of marijuana, four states — Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and Alaska — has legalized to varying degrees. Colorado and Washington were the first, back in 2012, but in all cases, federal regulators have done their best to hobble the newly legalized industry and to keep businesses in a legal gray area.

Specifically, it has been the banking industry — which is regulated at the federal level — which has done nothing at all to attempt to cooperate with private firms in jurisdictions where the voters have parted ways with federal prohibiting marijuana use.

Federal prohibitions on banking for cannabis-related businesses has meant that dispensaries and related businesses — even businesses that never touch physical marijuana, such as advertising agencies — must deal in large sacks of physical cash. This, not surprisingly, has led to more criminal activity in which violent thieves more often ambush employees of cannabis-related businesses, hoping they'll score a large cash payout. The problem could easily, be solved, of course, by allowing these business to put cash deposits in banks.

The result, not surprisingly, has been that businesses have moved underground to use so-called gray markets in a gray economy. This involves numerous workarounds, but federal regulators spend immense amounts of time trying to spy on these businesses and come up with new ways to stymie their efforts to engage in a legal business.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Funny thing is by forcing the pot industry to stay cash they are screwing the IRS. Another tidbit I remember from my tax classes, expenses as it relates to illegal activity is not deductible. So by keeping it a federal crime as I understand it pot pushers are legally on the hook tax on 100% of their revenues. But it's all cash so how does the IRS would have a hard time policing it.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Am I misreading this direct quote?

Dave,

Be honest man, did you read the entire article?

If not, no big deal. If so, and that's the conclusion you've reached, then I wish you the best but I won't pay anymore attention to your posts from here on out.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave,

Be honest man, did you read the entire article?

If not, no big deal. If so, and that's the conclusion you've reached, then I wish you the best but I won't pay anymore attention to your posts from here on out.

I read it. I hope they keep pushing the pot-smoking hippies back into their mom's basement and we can keep slamming them in jail. Suck it up, buttercup... I don't care about your war on legal weed.

Only once and I really don't want to talk about it.:rofl:

It's okay if you swing the other way.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    To any of you internet legal eagles;

Let's hypothetically say that a person who was in Colorado on Sunday (smoking weed legally), caused a fatal accident on the following day in Louisiana (no smoking weed that day). If you can be post-accident tested for intoxicants, and knowing that THC remains detectable in the blood stream for several days, what happens when that toxicology report comes back positive? Are you automatically charged with vehicular homicide like if you had alcohol levels above the legal limit?

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

Let's hypothetically say that a person who was in Colorado on Sunday (smoking weed legally), caused a fatal accident on the following day in Louisiana (no smoking weed that day). If you can be post-accident tested for intoxicants, and knowing that THC remains detectable in the blood stream for several days, what happens when that toxicology report comes back positive? Are you automatically charged with vehicular homicide like if you had alcohol levels above the legal limit?

No idea, but I'm sure this will be coming up in courtrooms at some point in the near future...if it hasn't already.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

This the the line of thinking that I have often had as it relates to legalization. I don't think there is a "scientific" way to detect if one is "under the influence of pot". I could be wrong. The testing processes I know of can tell a person's past but not sure it gauges a person's present. What a person does on their own time should be their business but if its company time or you hurt someone whiles high that's another story.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    This the the line of thinking that I have often had as it relates to legalization. I don't think there is a "scientific" way to detect if one is "under the influence of pot". I could be wrong. The testing processes I know of can tell a person's past but not sure it gauges a person's present. What a person does on their own time should be their business but if its company time or you hurt someone whiles high that's another story.

I would be for a reaction-time measuring test. Forget about measuring chemical levels in the bloodstream as it's not a good indicator of performance. Drunk, high, sleepy or maybe just too old. If you can't react to a visual stimulus in X seconds, no more driving for you.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I would be for a reaction-time measuring test. Forget about measuring chemical levels in the bloodstream as it's not a good indicator of performance. Drunk, high, sleepy or maybe just too old. If you can't react to a visual stimulus in X seconds, no more driving for you.

What do you charge a tired old fart with when he gets sited for driving while old. Would a string of old people being arrested start a "Gray lives matter" movement.

I here you though impairment is the answer to traffic safety.

Scientific testing for impairment would be the undoing both for traffic and in a work environment. It would have to be a non human element that could be administer in seconds. On the job it gets increasingly difficult to provide a fair method of maintaining a safe work environment. If you get randomed you could be high on the job but by the time you are tested you could be unimpaired by the time you make it to a testing facility. If it becomes legal nationally their will be many issues as it relates to traffic safety and workplace drug testing policies.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    This is one of the issues brought up in this past Sunday's 60 minutes discussion of legal pot business in CO. No recognized/standardized field test to determine one's level of impairment while driving after using/consuming marijuana.

So we got people using pot "legally" in certain states, and you know many are operating motor vehicles after, but no means to determine their DUI, or level of impairment. Oops...overlooked that!

Banks have no hands on the legal pot business/their cash because it violates our federal laws.

5 more states voting 11/8 on recreational usage.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    It always amazes me to see people speak so strongly about a given topic without having done more than 30 seconds worth of research. The funny thing is these same people will blast another for voting for 'X' while doing the same.
    Same old, most people refuse to pull their heads out of their asses and just do as they've done because it's comfortable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom