Use of CCW on a dog?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    Walking my ~45lb dog and my 2.5yr old daughter with my wife today on a public sidewalk in my neighborhood when a 60+lb pit/dane mix shot out of one of the homes and started jumping on my dog. I kicked it away, it went away and started jumping on another person's dog and then came back and tried to jump on my daughter (whom my wife picked up as I came over to them to kick the dog away again).

Owner finally appears as we're almost a block away from the house it shot out of and the dog is still circling us, still can't get the dog under control.

My question is this, could I have legally used lethal force on that dog?

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Walking my ~45lb dog and my 2.5yr old daughter with my wife today on a public sidewalk in my neighborhood when a 60+lb pit/dane mix shot out of one of the homes and started jumping on my dog. I kicked it away, it went away and started jumping on another person's dog and then came back and tried to jump on my daughter (whom my wife picked up as I came over to them to kick the dog away again).

Owner finally appears as we're almost a block away from the house it shot out of and the dog is still circling us, still can't get the dog under control.

My question is this, could I have legally used lethal force on that dog?

Dont know if legal or not, but if it came down to the safety of the dog or me and my loved ones, the dog would have lost!

Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    Dont know if legal or not, but if it came down to the safety of the dog or me and my loved ones, the dog would have lost!

When the owner came out and tried to apologize (a block later) I told him "come on man, just get your dog under control...you're lucky I didn't shoot it". At which point he started to curse at me (while his dog is still running free) and tried to defend his dog's demeanor by telling me he was just 'playing'. Mind you, the dog didn't have a collar on either.

I didn't have anything non-lethal on me (like a stick, mace or baton) but from now on that will change.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If the dog attacks you or your family, put a bullet in it.

I'm a dog lover, but if a large angry dog was biting my daughter, I'd put a few rounds in it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    When the owner came out and tried to apologize (a block later) I told him "come on man, just get your dog under control...you're lucky I didn't shoot it". At which point he started to curse at me (while his dog is still running free) and tried to defend his dog's demeanor by telling me he was just 'playing'. Mind you, the dog didn't have a collar on either.

I didn't have anything non-lethal on me (like a stick, mace or baton) but from now on that will change.

Unresponsable owner, yeah, I know quite a few like that. :(
    A knife blade to the dog's throat or chest cavity works well also. ;)
    Dont get me wrong, I like animals, but they need to be controled and their owners need to be in control of their animals.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Unresponsable owner, yeah, I know quite a few like that. :(
    A knife blade to the dog's throat or chest cavity works well also. ;)
    Dont get me wrong, I like animals, but they need to be controled and their owners need to be in control of their animals.

Good luck with a knife vs a dog.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Good luck with a knife vs a dog.

It works quite well thank you! ;)
    Been there, done that, and the dog lost.
    When in danger and fail to think fast or improvise when yourself or loved ones are in danger, you have little chance of comming out of the altercation unscathed. If you cant do it in such a case, it would have been best that you had stayed in bed that morning. Choose to win at all costs, or just give up and lose.
    It beats trying to ward it off with hitting it with your tally wacker if thats all you have on hand at the moment. :D

Last edited:

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Just saw a passive aggressive version of the same story come across the lakeview facebook group about a dog on Florida. 2 + 2 = "howdy neighbor" (putting 2 and 2 together, im guessing that was your wife)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It works quite well thank you! ;)
    Been there, done that, and the dog lost.
    When in danger and fail to think fast or improvise when yourself or loved ones are in danger, you have little chance of comming out of the altercation unscathed. If you cant do it in such a case, it would have been best that you had stayed in bed that morning. Choose to win at all costs, or just give up and lose.
    It beats trying to ward it off with hitting it with your tally wacker if thats all you have on hand at the moment. :D

You can't open this can of worms and not give the explanation.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    You can't open this can of worms and not give the explanation.

Simple explanation:
    Myself, the wife,son, and puppy where out in the yard enjoying the evening playing soccer. Unknown dog comes into yard and proceeds to jump on puppy and then go for my son. Having only 2 "blades" in my pocket, I pull 1 out and jab it into the chest cavity and then into the throat area of said dog. Said dog turns and attempts to run off but collapses about 50yds away. Score 1 for the good guys.

Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    Just saw a passive aggressive version of the same story come across the lakeview facebook group about a dog on Florida. 2 + 2 = "howdy neighbor" (putting 2 and 2 together, im guessing that was your wife)

What's up man. Didn't want to go too hard in the Facebook group. Tone was different there but the facts remain the same.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    From the wording on your post it does not appear that the dog was being aggressive and was just jumping around and pushing on yall as if to play. If the dog had been trying to really attack and bite/maul you or your child then i would say (in my personal opinion) do whatever you need to do to keep yourself and yours safe. If the dog was not really attacking, then id say you are SOL if you discharge your firearm.

Cronus4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    NOLA, LA
    From the wording on your post it does not appear that the dog was being aggressive and was just jumping around and pushing on yall as if to play. If the dog had been trying to really attack and bite/maul you or your child then i would say (in my personal opinion) do whatever you need to do to keep yourself and yours safe. If the dog was not really attacking, then id say you are SOL if you discharge your firearm.

The problem is, it's a split second decision when an animal comes out of nowhere and sometimes you don't know their demeanor/intentions until it's too late. This situation turned out O.K., I am sure there have been others where it did not. I was asking in terms of legality, if you feel threatened, in Louisiana, is it legal/justified? Is there case law? Any instances where someone has encountered this? I understand all the other qualifiers that come with discharging a firearm etc.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If the dog was hurting my family or my dog, I would shoot it. If the dog was not on a leash, and you were in the street, I would think you would have the high road. That being said, I would do that as a last resort. The owner is going to be really pissed even if they are completely in the wrong. I've heard pepper spray works very well.

Gov. Rick Perry got away with shooting a coyote
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/28/texas-governor-shoots-kills-coyote-threatened-dog.html

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The problem is, it's a split second decision when an animal comes out of nowhere and sometimes you don't know their demeanor/intentions until it's too late. This situation turned out O.K., I am sure there have been others where it did not. I was asking in terms of legality, if you feel threatened, in Louisiana, is it legal/justified? Is there case law? Any instances where someone has encountered this? I understand all the other qualifiers that come with discharging a firearm etc.

Again, If the dog was not attacking you or your family as it appears it was not in the way you described the encounter, then i would say you would not be justified in the shooting of the dog. It sounds to me like the dog was trying to play and was just excited.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    After 10 years of heavy handed tough love, my black lab minds better than my 3 year old, but if she gets it in her head to go make a new friend it's dang near impossible to stop her in her tracks. She is a vary loving dog, but when she bolts in your direction it could easily intimidate even a dog lover. Once she is inside ten feet her intentions are clear to almost anyone she wants to make friends. She bounces on her hind legs but will not jump up on people (that I cured around the 2 year mark). I have feared for years she may set the wrong person off, so we keep her up pretty well. If we are in the front yard playing and I see someone I will put her up or grab her and hold her just in case. When new people come over we put her up or out back just in case they don't like or are afraid of dogs.

People who constantly allow their animals to roam or jump up on people, friendly or not, need to be kicked the crotch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom