Polling place carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    So my local YMCA is a polling place for elections in my parish. However, the "polling place" signage stays displayed 24/7/365. Knowing that carrying into a polling place is disallowed, am I able to carry into the Y on all other (non-voting) days?

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    BTT! Really curious about this one.

No, I don't carry when going to work out. I don't like the idea of getting dressed to lift and locking my G23 where others could know it's only locked by a small padlock. I would, however, like to carry when taking my kids to let them swim, going in to sign up for trainers/classes, etc, etc.

From the LSP website:

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    •A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    •A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    •A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    A polling place;
    •A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    •The state capitol building;
    •Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    •Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)
    •A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    •Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    •Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I probably wouldn't, because the law seems pretty straightforward. Since it's a polling place, it's a no carry zone. That being said, I can see how one could question it.

Would probably require further investigation about that specific YMCA.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I probably wouldn't, because the law seems pretty straightforward. Since it's a polling place, it's a no carry zone. That being said, I can see how one could question it.

Would probably require further investigation about that specific YMCA.

Is it a polling place when it isn't a polling place?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If there is no voting going on, and the facility has another purpose, I would not consider it a polling place. I(f you just walked into a YMCA one day, and there was no election going on, how whould you know it was a polling place? My wife used to work at the YMCA and I would carry when I would pick her up or meet her at work for some reason, likewise at sporting games and such for the kids. I never saw a sign. I believe it said in the employee handbook no weapons on property, but I was not an employee. FWIW I did not carry when I was volunteering to help work the concession stands, Halloween carnival and such, as I felt that would breech the policy.

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    This YMCA has a ~2'x3' sign posted externally that it is a polling place. My issue with it is that the sign stays posted 24/7/365, whether or no there is an election happening.

My personal thoughts and actions have been to carry anyway while there are no elections. But in all seriousness I could theoretically be breaking the law. I'm still unsure.

Concealed is Concealed is Concealed......

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This YMCA has a ~2'x3' sign posted externally that it is a polling place. My issue with it is that the sign stays posted 24/7/365, whether or no there is an election happening.

My personal thoughts and actions have been to carry anyway while there are no elections. But in all seriousness I could theoretically be breaking the law. I'm still unsure.

Concealed is Concealed is Concealed......

Sounds like somebody is lazy and just put up the sign and left it. My polling place is a school so it's a no go all the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom